I've been doing my research the past few weeks as I'm' looking to get a new guitar (studio most likely) as soon as my paycheck comes in, and a question came to mind.

When I bought my current guitar, they set it up for free, but with whatever strings were on it (I believe they were lights). However, I've recently settled on using heavy bottom/light top and I was wondering a.) if it would make a significant difference to use those strings after it's been set up for lights (I'm guessing it does) and b.) Would they be willing to do the intonation with the heavy/lights when I buy the guitar?
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
shouldnt make much difference, and if your buying from a shop they usually do a set up anyway
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
buy the guitar and strings there, IF they are willing to set it up for you.

then they'll do it.

just to add, intonation is pretty simple.
more complex would be the neck adjustment after putting on heavier strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 20, 2008,
Quote by jj1565
buy the guitar and strings there, IF they are willing to set it up for you.

then they'll do it.

ooooh, didn't think of it that way
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Buy the guitar, have them throw in the strings and take it all home and do it your self. It is easy to set up a guitar. If you learn how everything works with each other you will be able to fix problems that might come up in the future. You can mod or change parts and not have to worry about paying someone to set up your guitar for you.

And changing string gauge will effect the intonation. Maybe not a lot but it will. When I moved from 9's to 11's mine was off, I had to re do it. Which only takes 10 min or less on average.

Good luck with the new guitar.