I have the choice to study classical or jazz guitar as an elective class. The problem is, I don't one which one I would benefit more from. I play mainly rock. However, I want to learn some aspects of classical guitar, but I feel that jazz guitar might benefit me more based on what I play. Which one would help me play better in the end? I think the jazz guitar would teach me what I already know. I've been playing around 2 1/2 years.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
I wish I could, but my major is Engineering Plus, I'd have too many credits if I took both.

Quote by ShelbyLynn

Quote by HanPlaysBass
Quote by vicd08
I wish I could, but my major is Engineering Plus, I'd have too many credits if I took both.

Do it anyway!!!

I am confident that my answer is the best answer. Does having too many credits make you pay more or something? If it does, you can always just go back and do the one you don't choose later. Engineers can make pretty big bucks.
<Han> I love Hitler
listen to the music. Which one do you enjoy more. I had this same problem. I honestly don't like jazz because it's boring. I figured that I should choose the type of music that I enjoy. If i'd have chosen jazz, I would be bored out of mind even though it is playing in a band and more benificial to my playing style.

Bottom line - play what you're more into.
Yeee, Jazz - I'm studying jazz right now, you get some awesome complex chords and stuff you can use to substitute all those boring open chords and stuff. Lots of memorization though...
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Well, if you play fast rock and maybe do some soloing, classical can really help with the fast fingering and arpeggios e.t.c.

I think i'm right at least lol.
if you feel as though you're better with an electric guitar, then definitely jazz.

with classical, i don't know how you are with it, but you can do jazz on it. it's more of a fingerstyle thing.
Yes, it would cost more to take extra credit hours, so both is out of the question. Maybe classical this semester and jazz the next? I like classical more, even though I listen primarily to rock. My theory is that since I play rock, which is similar to jazz as far as playing styles go, that taking classical would broaden my playing ability?

Quote by ShelbyLynn

Quote by HanPlaysBass
Quote by vicd08
Yes, it would cost more to take extra credit hours, so both is out of the question. Maybe classical this semester and jazz the next? I like classical more, even though I listen primarily to rock. My theory is that since I play rock, which is similar to jazz as far as playing styles go, that taking classical would broaden my playing ability?

nah i would personally say jazz is as different from classical as rock is. Tbh go with what you listen to more, that way, ure more likely to enjoy it and will end up working harder and getting more from it
Jazz is nothing like rock. Don't be fooled. I think it's a lot more applicable than classical guitar in today's music scene and I recommend studying jazz instead of classical.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana