Hello. I have one quick question for you acoustic players -

I use D'Addario Heavy Acoustic Strings. I started out playing with lights, then went mediums, then heavies. I was playing a lot of fingerstyle/michael hedges/andy mckee type guitar, so I was playing with heavy. Now, playing electric a lot more, I would like to get into more rockish type songs, with improv soloing and bending, etc.

Would it hurt my guitar in any way from going Heavies (.14's) to Custom Lights (.11's). Also, will my guitar need to be re-set up?

Finally, is .11 the lowest I can go with acoustic strings? More importantly, are .11's still easy to bend with? I will be doing bending/improv/soloing.

Thanks!!
try some DR Zebras in .12s. they have great tone + flexibility
gear:
Gibson SG Cherrywood finish
BC Rich Mockingbird 5 piece maple body with Neck-Thru
Hammer Californian Quiltop
some old Stagg bass
Modded GCB-95F crybaby
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fab Flange
Crate 1x12 65 watt 3-channel amp
and if your guitar can be intinated and hass an ajustable truss rod it may have to be adjusted, but it usually dosent make that big of a difference
gear:
Gibson SG Cherrywood finish
BC Rich Mockingbird 5 piece maple body with Neck-Thru
Hammer Californian Quiltop
some old Stagg bass
Modded GCB-95F crybaby
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fab Flange
Crate 1x12 65 watt 3-channel amp
Okay. Thanks!

I am a D'addario man, though.

I did find EXP Coated Extra Lights (.10). There are 80/20 Bronze and Phosphor Bronze. Their website says 80/20 is a lot brighter, while Phosphor is a lot more mellow. I have always used Phosphor.. what does "brighter" mean?

Thanks again
bright usually =treble
dark usually = bass or more low end across the hole spectrum

as far as string gauges what you are really changing is the amount of tensoin on any given string. .011 will have less tensoin than a .013. Thus all other factors bieng equal you will have easier bends and loose some sustain and full ness from a chord if strummed
i prefered daddario strings (still and most likely always will for my electric) until i tried dr rares. i also use phosphor bronze and have gone up to .013 gauge however i am mostly a rythym strummer with minimal bending involved in my play if i did a lot of bending i would deffinitly stop at .012 as my highest gauge.
when you change out a whole set of strings you change the tensoin on the neck. thus affecting neck relief and thusly actoin height of the strings. to obtain the same neck relief with higher tensoin strings you will (most likely) have to tighten the truss rod.
are you familier with the technique involved in checking neck relief it is quite simple.
install a capop at fret one and push down on the fret where the body meets the neck then you must measure the gap between the bottom of the string and top of the sixth or seventh fret it should be around .011 use a piece of high e string it should barely fit. more then tighten truss rod less then loosen it set you neck relief with your strings on and you should be good to go.
Quote by RileyB
Hello. I have one quick question for you acoustic players -

I use D'Addario Heavy Acoustic Strings. I started out playing with lights, then went mediums, then heavies. I was playing a lot of fingerstyle/michael hedges/andy mckee type guitar, so I was playing with heavy. Now, playing electric a lot more, I would like to get into more rockish type songs, with improv soloing and bending, etc.

Would it hurt my guitar in any way from going Heavies (.14's) to Custom Lights (.11's). Also, will my guitar need to be re-set up?

Finally, is .11 the lowest I can go with acoustic strings? More importantly, are .11's still easy to bend with? I will be doing bending/improv/soloing.

Thanks!!

you'll VERY LIKELY need to get a setup. heavy to custom light is quite a big difference. if you dont get a setup you'll get a lot of fretbuzz. with acoustic strings, you can go as far down as .009's(extra light i believe). the only problem with going with lighter strings is that if you press a bit too hard, the intonation goes way off. that's why i've never used anything lighter than custom light. it will not hurt your guitar in any way to go from heavy to custom lights. going the other way may be a problem as some guitars are not suited for heavy(or even medium) strings in a lot of cases.

just to clarify...
.011's = custom light
.012's = light
.013's = medium
.014's = heavy

if you had .14's on your guitar you'd be insane O__o that extra zero plays quite a large difference. haha.
If you're making that drastic of a change, I'd make sure everything is set up correctly afterwards; check your truss rod/neck relief, intonation and action to be safe.

EDIT: I use the D'Addario heavy Phosphor Bronze (same as you, .014) and don't have any problem bending; just try it out a little bit and you might find it comfortable. If you want to change for any reason though, feel free; it's just a suggestion.

It will, more than likely, need a set up.

Finally, is .11 the lowest I can go with acoustic strings?

11s are the lowest id recommend going. 10s do exist though.