I recently acquired a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and I'm having a blast with, the variety of tone in it and it has certainly been keeping me busy as I play all kinds of music.

However, that being said, the main reason I picked up the triple rec was for a great metal/heavy metal tone.

I've been playing with it in channel 3 on many different settings now for about 2 months , and while it does have a good tone, it lacks alot of... power (I seem to lack the ability to describe in explicit detail the sound an amp/guitar makes).

Palm mutes aren't very defined don't have that bone crunching sound, muddy I believe is the term? And in general unless I push the gain, treb and presence incredibly high, 4 or 5 oclock (and its still lacking), the tone really is lacking in power, which is really odd for what is suppose to be the a really good hi-gain metal channel with great tweaking potential.

My current gear looks as follows:

Current Guitars:
1. A Cort (This thing needs to go the the rubbish dump, its about 10 years old now, my electric).
2. A Epiphone Les Paul Black beauty, currently in Drop C with Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkes, otherwise stock.
3. Jackson Kevin Bond RR Sig Model, Drop C, Beefy Slinkies, otherwise stock.

Current Amps:
Teeeeensy Ibanez practice amp.
Roland Cube 30.
Roland Cube 60 (I wasn't always filthy rich =)).
Mesa Boogie Triple Rec with Mesa 4x12 cab. Brand new 6L6 Mesa Tubes.

No pedals, I'm just running guitar to amp.

I've obviously tried all 3 guitars out on it, the Jackson by far delivered the best improvement in tone, but still very much the same kind of tonal problems.

I've read around a bit on the intawebz that putting a BBE sonic maximizer before the amp or possibly putting in a Boss Overdrive pedal on very low settings (still Channel 3/Modern) could help with the tonal problems I'm having.

I really want to get some advice from people with loads of experience in this before I start throwing in more money as I live in South Africa and musical equipment here is INCREDIBLY overpriced and very little stock of anything is kept on shelf to actually test with.

Thanks a lot in advance.
I can imagine it's because you don't have it turned very far up volume wise. (I'm assuming)
With it being a tube amp, the quieter it is, the less the tubes are being worked, and the tone is affected.
If it was turned up quiet high, the power would be more noticable and the sound would be fuller.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
You may want to try an overdrive pedal. Or even a clean boost. The BBE probably won't give you what you're looking for. Try a Maxon Overdrive808. I think that is what is called.
get active pickups and fvck with your eq ALOT

Quote by dancesisidance
I can imagine it's because you don't have it turned very far up volume wise. (I'm assuming)
With it being a tube amp, the quieter it is, the less the tubes are being worked, and the tone is affected.
If it was turned up quiet high, the power would be more noticable and the sound would be fuller.

this too

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
BBE Sonic Maximizers are put in the loop, but that won't help much with Mesa's, they generally don't go along very well.
An OD pedal is probably your best bet. Kinda sucks huh having to beef up a $2500 amp with a pedal
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Where do you use the amp? If you're sitting at home, in your bedroom, trying not to piss off your parents, it's because you're barely pushing any any air, or tubeage. It's hard to get "massive chunk" and "monster palm mutes" with any amp at quiet volume. Half of that "chunk" comes from pushing a big mass of air.

You're right in that I haven't really let the volume rip on this amp yet, despite having it for 2 months. I think I haven't put the master on any of the channels over 11 oclock.

My living circumstances prevent me from putting it much higher and I didn't want to drag the set up along to band practice until I had a decent tone, but I'll make some time. That said however, looking at a lot of other peoples triple rec EQ settings for their really heavy tones and how I'm currently having to put the gain/treb/pres up to get somewhere near the power level for a heavy metal sound, I don't think it will be enough by itself.

An OD pedal is probably your best bet. Kinda sucks huh having to beef up a $2500 amp with a pedal.

Yeah =((, I will try this after pumping up the volume to extremes.

Thanks for the blazing fast responses guys.
Also, get an OD pedal. It will help by tenfold.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Another thing to try is playing it with other people, sometimes an amp an suck fairly hard on its own, but sounds AMAZING when used in a band situation, theres probably lots of reasons to do with sound waves etc....I dont know though! Give it a proper jam sometime, make sure to turn it up and then see how you find it
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by Blackhand
You're right in that I haven't really let the volume rip on this amp yet, despite having it for 2 months. I think I haven't put the master on any of the channels over 11 oclock.

My living circumstances prevent me from putting it much higher and I didn't want to drag the set up along to band practice until I had a decent tone, but I'll make some time. That said however, looking at a lot of other peoples triple rec EQ settings for their really heavy tones and how I'm currently having to put the gain/treb/pres up to get somewhere near the power level for a heavy metal sound, I don't think it will be enough by itself.

Yeah =((, I will try this after pumping up the volume to extremes.

Thanks for the blazing fast responses guys.

Sounds like a lack of crankage. My mesa is the same way, a bit muddy when it's not loud. An eq in the loop may help as well, I found it was very useful for me.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not