I'm new to the world of electric guitars and I really need some good advice on picking out an AMP, distortion pedal and strings for my just ordered Ibanez RGR421EXFMROFL.

I really like the sound of Bullet For My Valentine's guitars.

I'm looking to spend $200-300 on the AMP, 2 that looked good were the Line 6 Spider III 75 75W 1x12 (which I can get for $250) and the VOX 30wt (also $250).

But again I also don't know much about amps and I just saw that these 2 had good reviews and were in my price range. Also is it worth it to get an amp's tube replaced with something really nice?

And I strings I need help on what is quality and good sounding. Price isn't much of an issue here.

Pedals, The sound of the Boss Metal Core and Digitech Metal Master was good to me. What is the best distortion pedal out there?

How about the Damage Control ones and the Line 6 Uber metal?

Any and all help is appreciated. Anything else that I should get, give me your thoughts.
I need to buy this stuff by the end of the week, all opinions are considered.
everything you just described was crap, except the vox ad30vt. (STAY AWAY FROM SPIDER, AND DISTORTION PEDALS... crap ones at least)

I can vouch that the vox is a good little amp, i own one...

strings? i like ghs boomers

picks? dunlop tortex .6's

amp? ad30vt's pretty good if you're not gigging, look at valvekings though...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
look for a used valveking and an Electro harmonix metal muff. Line 6 spiders are generally considered to be one of the worst amps out right now. The vox is ok but that tube in it doesnt really make much of a difference in the sound. I would say try to aim a little higher for the amp. You wont get very good high gain amps until much higher price levels though.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Ok, I should I get the tube replaced in the vox?

How about a Bandit 112?
Last edited by )(yperX at May 21, 2008,
For an amp, i would look into the Roland Cube (30 or 60 watt versions).
It'll do high gain much better than the Vox.
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Last edited by cmakkidguitar at May 21, 2008,
Alright, I'm really liking the Peavy Bandit 112 right now I'm leaning toward that atm.

I'm definitely getting the EH Metal Muff, I love it's sound.
Last edited by )(yperX at May 21, 2008,
Quote by cmakkidguitar
For an amp, i would look into the Roland Cube (30 or 60 watt versions).
It'll dohigh gain much better than the Vox.

+1

This guy speaks sense
The Vox and the Spider both have a lot of built-in effects including distortion, so you wouldn't need a distortion pedal to go with either. The Vox has a more natural sounding tone. For a solid state practice amp, the Roland Cube's 30 and higher get a lot of praise around here. I think that would be a good setup to start out on. I've found the cheap tube amps to limiting. Be prepared to spend over $500 to get a good tube set up.
id say roland cube 30 is all you need. you wont even need a pedal. i know its kinda "cool" to have a pedal, but trust me, the amp sounds awesome by itself.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks for the input, I've read that the Roland 30 isn't loud enough to play with drums. And when you crank it up high it looses some quality.

The Bandit 112 is louder and has a great review. Thoughts?
I can't decide between the:

Peavy Bandit 112 / Vox 30WT

EH Metal Muff / Damage Control Solid metal

Help!
Quote by )(yperX
I'm new to the world of electric guitars and I really need some good advice on picking out an AMP, distortion pedal and strings for my just ordered Ibanez RGR421EXFMROFL.

I really like the sound of Bullet For My Valentine's guitars.

lol
Neither amp, but out of the two you would be best with the bandit and a metal muff. If you can swing the extra cash then definitly get the Damage Control ORR save some more and get an amp that can do what you want with no pedals. Look for some 5150 combos used if you get around $550.