Ok...so I've been wanting to get a new amp for quite some time now.

I've mostly been looking at the Mesa Boogie Dual/Triple Recs and the Peavey 6505+.

I want whichever one would work best for my guitar. I have an ESP LTD M-307 tuned to Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb (drop G#). I want tone that is clear, yet crushing. I also like quite a bit of crunch.

I havent really had enough experience with either amp to make a choice, so I'd like to hear your opinions.
Quote by BassisticT
My Ex firlfriend once shaved my butthair... A day later my butt looked like Freddy Krugers Face >.< Couldn't sit comfortable for like 4 Days.

Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Not sure what is worse the fact they watched a bbc drama series or they downed ethenol
Try them both out and see.

They're easy to come across.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
Try them both out and see.

They're easy to come across.

Aggreed. Most guitar centers have both. Most craigslists have 'em too.
If you tune that low you probably like a lot of low end. If thats the case get the 6505+ without a doubt over any rectifier because the low end on recto's is very loose. It won't get you an incredible crunch/lower gain tone, but the high gain tone is amazing.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I wouldn't buy either of them. For the price of a new Mesa Rectifier you can get a used Uberschall.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
IMO the uberschall sounds horrible.

If I could afford something like that, I'd go for Engl or Diezel.
Quote by BassisticT
My Ex firlfriend once shaved my butthair... A day later my butt looked like Freddy Krugers Face >.< Couldn't sit comfortable for like 4 Days.

Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Not sure what is worse the fact they watched a bbc drama series or they downed ethenol
Why does everyone think its such a low tuning?

Its just Eb on a 7-string....

The rectos are just sex in amp form.... the 6505 is budget compared to the recto.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by jscustomguitars
the peavey eats the mesa and ****s it out IMO.

I agree, provided your post is amended to read "Peavey eats Mesa Rectifiers and ****s them out". Mesa Boogie makes some fantastic amps, but the Rectifier isn't one of them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
I agree, provided your post is amended to read "Peavey eats Mesa Rectifiers and ****s them out". Mesa Boogie makes some fantastic amps, but the Rectifier isn't one of them.

Personally, not liking the rectifier is a matter of personal opinion. When your spending 1000+ on an amp, it is really personal preference.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
weird thing is, here in sweden, a Dual Recto is 2.5 times the price of a 5150...

If I were you, I would look for an Engl. I think it sounds better than both of'em.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by xMetalJohnx
IMO the uberschall sounds horrible.

If I could afford something like that, I'd go for Engl or Diezel.

Sorry, but anyone saying that has never played an Uberschall or only heard them on Youtube.
Either that or you're tonedeaf
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
try the 5150 III
its PWNS both those amps.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I prefer Peavey's... Mesa's usually have to be cranked to get a good tone of them, low end is extremly loose, takes alot of time to dial in and cost more then a peavey...
Not true. I have three Mesa amps now, and they all sound great at low volumes. Sure, they sound better cranked, but they're fine low as well. Recto's low end is a bit loose, but back off the bass and it's fine. The Mark IV's low end is very tight.

I have a Mesa/Boogie Single-Recto Solo 50 now sitting right next to my non-plus 6505. With the right settings, these amps sound surprisingly identical (using identical cabs and an A/B/Y switch). The Recto has the slight edge on punch and grunt, but not by much, and certainly not by as much as I thought it would. My 6505 surprised me! I bought my 6505 as a customer return for only $799 with free shipping. My Recto was used, mint, for $900 shipped. That's only $100 more than the 6505! Typically, used Rectos go for about as much as a new 6505. If I had to choose, I'd take the Recto. But don't knock the 6505s, they're not bad!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at May 21, 2008,
Rivera Knucklehead
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
The Mesa will constantly be in the shop, the Peavey will not.

If you want thick, brutal crunch and very tight lowend, go with the 6505.

If you want buzzy highs and loose unfocused lowend, go with the Rectifier.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
If you want thick, brutal crunch and very tight lowend, go with the 6505.
If you want buzzy highs and loose unfocused lowend, go with the Rectifier.
Mesa products are typically renowned for their reliability and build quality. I would say if you want buzzy highs and undefined leads, get the 6505. If you want balls and punch, get the Recto. I have both, and I prefer the Recto.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Meh neither. Theyre both alright. Personally I prefer the sound of the dual rec over the triple or the 6505. Get a Fireball
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by LEVEL4
Mesa products are typically renowned for their reliability and build quality.
Not any one that I've ever come across. Rectifiers always seem to crap out. I much prefer the F- series and the Stiletto's.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Ventor
Sorry, but anyone saying that has never played an Uberschall or only heard them on Youtube.
Either that or you're tonedeaf

I wouldn't say the Uberschall is completely crap. It has a great high gain sound for sure, but for it's price there's many other amps I'd rather have, too muddy for me.

Quote by Van Noord

That's interesting, if there's one thing you shouldn't worry about with a Mesa is it crapping out on you. The Rectos aren't built quite as high quality as their other higher priced amps, but they use better parts than any Peavey for sure.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Meh, the Uberschall is still crap to me, I've heard it in person.

I love the Engl sound, So I have been looking into the Fireball as well.
Quote by BassisticT

Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Quote by LEVEL4
Not true. I have three Mesa amps now, and they all sound great at low volumes. Sure, they sound better cranked, but they're fine low as well. Recto's low end is a bit loose, but back off the bass and it's fine. The Mark IV's low end is very tight.

I have a Mesa/Boogie Single-Recto Solo 50 now sitting right next to my non-plus 6505. With the right settings, these amps sound surprisingly identical (using identical cabs and an A/B/Y switch). The Recto has the slight edge on punch and grunt, but not by much, and certainly not by as much as I thought it would. My 6505 surprised me! I bought my 6505 as a customer return for only $799 with free shipping. My Recto was used, mint, for $900 shipped. That's only $100 more than the 6505! Typically, used Rectos go for about as much as a new 6505. If I had to choose, I'd take the Recto. But don't knock the 6505s, they're not bad!

Dude, when did you get the other two mesas! lucky! How're you liking the Mark IV?