Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking about it, and my bass skills have sort of hit a plateau. I can play most of the songs i like to easily, with little or no practice. I practice anyway with my books that i have from when i used to take lessons, so my skills aren't rusty.

SO, i've been thinking about learning all of Operation Ivy's discography, and being able to play it. After i complete that i'll work on Rancid's discography, which won't be as challenging, just sort of fun.

Are there any other PUNK or Punk/ska bands that have great bassists?

I don't really want pure SKA because i don't really dig that sound too much.

What do you think of this whole thing? good idea? bad idea? im open for suggestions.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
I know this is in the punk forum for a reason, but you should try and branch your skills into different genres, it makes the instrument much more enjoyable. Also, streetlight has great bass, obviously.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Right, its fun to make your own music. I know that, but its also great to learn other people's crazy riffs and solos as well.

Also, I have tried other genres, i've branched from funk, to rock, to some jazz even, but punk still holds my heart.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
metallica through master of puppets after ...And justice for all the bass died

*edit* i know you said you wanted punk and ska but i cant think of any of those types fo bands that i have heard where the bass wasnt just a simple bassline, metallica will challenge you, if you fingerpluck the whole catalog
Last edited by F8iscruel at May 20, 2008,
Anti-Flag have a pretty good bassist, check out some stuff of their's.
Quote by hawk_kst
if you can learn how to play the bass solo in maxwell murder by rancid I'll be very impressed

I learned that less than a month after starting bass, it's nothing special.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
Right, its fun to make your own music. I know that, but its also great to learn other people's crazy riffs and solos as well.

Also, I have tried other genres, i've branched from funk, to rock, to some jazz even, but punk still holds my heart.

If you also want other genres try Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius, it robbed my whole nerves, when I played it........flageolets and bass line combined on one bass try it!
Quote by hawk_kst
if you can learn how to play the bass solo in maxwell murder by rancid I'll be very impressed

I already know it, its not very challenging, just quick.

Quote by lavazza
Gang Control is fun to play, but it´s not that difficult........

.......I have to listen to at least 10 Rancid and Operation Ivy songs a day with my brother doing the bass when he is at home

Gang control is quite fun, but i'm looking for more challenging pieces.

Yeah, rancid and op ivy are pretty much prime examples of great bass playing.

Quote by lavazza
If you also want other genres try Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius, it robbed my whole nerves, when I played it........flageolets and bass line combined on one bass try it!

That is a man who is one to look up to. Weather Report are CRAZY. I really want to be closer to his skill level, but unfortunately i need to work on incorporating harmonics into my playing.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Last edited by misfitsdisciple at May 20, 2008,
A Wilhelm Scream and Angel City Outcasts have some pretty tight bass playing.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Cool! i'll check em out.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming if you want. I'll definitely be checking up on this thread.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Here's a good one from A Wilhelm Scream: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xBGibZFAMTA The camera was near the bass amp, so you can hear the bass line real good.
You want to BECOME him?

Good luck.

I've never known anyone to actually BECOME someone else
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by SuperBlob
You want to BECOME him?

Good luck.

well, i was thinking in a Texas Chainsaw massacre sort of way. kill him, cut out his face, sew it on mine, gain his supreme bass skills.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Honestly?

I would say learn a few Coheed and Cambria songs. The bass lines are ****ing insane on many songs.

But for the purposes of what you might actually listen to, learn to play some stuff by The Specials. Horace Panter is the true king of Ska bass.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Minutemen have some funky bass licks.

That's who I was thinking of.
What the hell is that 'Portrait of Tracy' I just listened to the GP tab and it sounded, wrong?
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Quote by InstantAXonHero
What the hell is that 'Portrait of Tracy' I just listened to the GP tab and it sounded, wrong?

Have you heard the actual piece? Go on youtube and look it up.
The only thing difficult about Operation Ivy is that the bass is kinda hard to hear in the mix. But with that said... their stuff is supremely fun to play.

Best songs on bass = Officer, Healthy Body, Here We Go Again, Hangin' Out, Take Warning, Bankshot.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I love bombshell too.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Go for some Fugazi and Minutemen, I've always loved their basslines.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
oren soffer from time again has some cool stuff. very matt freeman-ish. not too hard tho
Punks not dead, it just smells like it...

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Sippin on Gin and Juice of the UG Hip-Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Quote by InstantAXonHero

That´s maybe because you cannot write the tabs the way this song really IS, because for example for some of the flageolets you first have to press the string in the 2nd fret and play the flageolet in the 6th
Quote by devourthekitten
I learned that less than a month after starting bass, it's nothing special.

My bass player plays that song "fingerstyle"*, with the solo.
That's hard to do.

*His fingerstyle isn't proper, I don't think, mainly uses his index, occasionally his second, never the ring. The tip of his index finger is like white and gross looking.
Quote by original=punk
My bass player plays that song "fingerstyle"*, with the solo.
That's hard to do.

*His fingerstyle isn't proper, I don't think, mainly uses his index, occasionally his second, never the ring. The tip of his index finger is like white and gross looking.

Most people don't use the third finger, but that's crazy that he can do it using mainly his first. Didn't you say you guys were gonna cover that song?
Quote by SuperBlob
You want to BECOME him?

Good luck.

didn't you read the first post through? He's going to gut him and wear his skin like a wetsuit. His new bandmates won't be able to tell the difference.

Also check Mike Watt, Minutemen and other projects..
reel big fish and skankin pickle have some awesome bass you could learn
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by Ska Wars
Most people don't use the third finger, but that's crazy that he can do it using mainly his first. Didn't you say you guys were gonna cover that song?

Generally uses his first finger completely, uses the second finger sometimes, to do some stuff.

And yeah, we're working on it. We need to work on it so we're waiting to bring it up. Our current covers are: I Want To Hold Your Hand, She, and Blitzkrieg Bop.

Man, I love how threads get derailed
Good idea, you should definitely become a Matt Freeman zeitgeist.

I thought of a cool name - you can be called TWAT Freeman!
Page 1 of 2