I am looking at a jackson dinky and I'm a little worried about the LFR they have.
Does anyone have some experience with them? What are the pros and cons about them and how do they compare to the OFR?

Thanks
The JT580 (I believe that's what they call it) is a great trem. Should stay in tune very well and last quite a while.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
It'd be pretty damn close.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I heard from CJRocker's profile one of his blogs says stay away from the Chrome JT580 but the Black ones are real nice.
what's wrong with the chrome? Why would the colour matter?
the chrome is probaly just lesser quality.
the jackson is no ofr but its alot better then other trems
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
my jt 580s both stay in tune, i`ve had no problems w/ them
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
if I ever wanted to upgrade to an OFR, would mods be required?
Quote by gstacey1
the chrome is probaly just lesser quality.
the jackson is no ofr but its alot better then other trems

Yeah, he said the chrome was a less quality metal.
Why would a trem without paint be worse than one painted black? Thats the biggest bull**** ive read so far on this forum.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by mxh
would it be as good as an OFR?

imo, no. it might be decently made, but it's nowhere near as responsive as an OFR or other quality locking trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by LP_CL
Why would a trem without paint be worse than one painted black? Thats the biggest bull**** ive read so far on this forum.

Its supposedly made out of cheaper material boy, its not just the color.

and the new jt580s are great licensed trems.
Quote by steel337

and the new jt580s are great licensed trems.

Why? Do you have a reliable source saying that? Or is it another internet tale? A JT580 is a JT580. Period. black or chrome.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
My trem has never given me a problem ever.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King
My trem has never given me a problem ever.

+1 and I have a chrome one
My mate has a black one on his dinky, works fine. He removed it though just cause he hates trems.
^why did he buy a trem dinky then?

Chrome would be exactly the same as black its a coating not the actual material
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
The chrome ones only appear on the cheapest models, the black ones on the mid-range models. I can tell you my JS30's trem is holding up very well after about a year of playing, altough the chrome coating seems to scratch very easily.

I've seen a website where some guy with a lot of Jackson experience said that black ones are better quality. I don't find it hard to believe, keeping in mind the black ones don't appear on the cheapest models.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
General consensus on JCF Online is the chrome ones from the Akai-era used lower quality materials. The current ones are used on the lower end models and don't have the best rep, while the black ones on the higher end models were thought to have received stronger base plates. I've played more of the chrome ones with trems that seem to be slowly failing than the black ones, which have the hardened base plate. I have no clue about the few black ones Akai-era guitars used. You also see more of the older ones with the chrome units on ebay, which is interesting.

In other words, if you're going to put it through 80s abuse, expect around 3 years. On a black one, I would think around 5-7+, which is the rough life span of the old JT580s (though mine lasted 15!). The only one that's going to last a lifetime is something like an OFR or Schaller (or Gotoh for that matter) made of really high quality metals all around.
^ yeah, that sounds about right, from what i've heard (hearsay, as i've only tried them in shops which obviously wouldn't tell you how long they'd last).

unfortunately, when anyone says, "jackson LFRs aren't bad compared to some of the cheapo LFRs", that instantly translates, through UG's retarded version of chinese whispers, to "as good as an OFR". which is daft.

cheapo LFRs can wear out in a matter of months. obviously if the jackson one lasts for several years, that's "better". but it's still not as good as "really good".

and how long they hold tune isn't the only measure of a good trem- how responsive they are, and how easy it is to do trem tricks, is another major factor. The ones i've tried in shops haven't felt very responsive at all.

Quote by steel337

yeah, that's what i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So far the Floyd on my Dinky has lived up to standards, it doesn't go out of tune after alot of trem abuse, I've had it for about 9 months. Definately happy with it, and I've heard it's a lot better than other LFR's from other companies. Not sure how long it'll last though, but I'm guessing you could always swap it out for an OFR after a while, if you feel the need to.
I was at the guitar shop by my house and they carry about 9 Jacksons. The chrome trems are designed differently than the black ones.
Quote by mxh
I am looking at a jackson dinky and I'm a little worried about the LFR they have.
Does anyone have some experience with them? What are the pros and cons about them and how do they compare to the OFR?

Thanks

its a direct swap. Cry if you must.