Ok well today I officialy noticed how much I suck. My friends are playing a show and the giutarist couldnt show up to this rehersal so they asked me to sub thinking I was pretty decent. Well I sucked and I think everybody there noticed. Please help, I have no idea what to learn. I'm going to start taking lessons but I cant for anohter month. I really need to get out of this slump and learn something new that will help me out. I dont do much theory but I know several songs. I listen to CLassic rock, hard rock, and 80s hairmetal. I would greatly appreciate any help.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by nouOU
practice...

ok,I think I knew that, but what should I practice?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by nouOU
practice...

I think he had something more specific in mind, but you obviously didn't think of that when posting your swift reply

Honestly though, you can learn anything you want, its more HOW you learn it. Back In Black may be a good place to start cos the chords are fairly easy, and you can learn the solos by starting slow and getting faster once you've perfected it at a given speed.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by Polystant
ok,I think I knew that, but what should I practice?

What do you know so far? Learning songs is a good way to start but other than learning techniques involved in such songs you maybe won't get much improvement.

Do you know the basic open chords?
Do you know how to use barre chords?
Do you know the basic scales? Do you know how to apply said scales?
How are you at the basic techniques (hammer on's/pull offs, string bending, sliding)?

Those are just afew suggestions but as a teacher i've noticed far too many guitarists try to run before they crawl and look down their noses at the basic stuff, then when it comes to trying to improve they wonder whats hindering their progress.
Back in Black
e|-------------------------------------|--------------3-0------------------|
B|----------------3-3-3--------------|------------------3-0---------------|
G|---------------2-2-2----------2-2-|2---------------------2^(4)`2p0--|
D|-2------------0-0-0----------2-2-|2----------------------------------|
A|-2-------------------------------0-0-|0--------------------------------|
E|-0-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|

I cant play that descending part, It sounds horribly wrong. Maybe I'm playing it wrong but it sounds bad, I know its not the tab cuz so many people gave it 5 stars
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Last edited by Polystant at May 20, 2008,
Quote by Polystant
Back in Black
e|-------------------------------------|--------------3-0------------------|
B|----------------3-3-3--------------|------------------3-0---------------|
G|---------------2-2-2----------2-2-|2---------------------2^(4)`2p0--|
D|-2------------0-0-0----------2-2-|2----------------------------------|
A|-2-------------------------------0-0-|0--------------------------------|
E|-0-----------------------------------|-----------------------------------|

I cant play that descending part, It sounds horribly wrong. Maybe I'm playing it wrong but it sounds bad, I know its not the tab cuz so many people gave it 5 stars

Yeah, that's definitely right. But I've never managed to get the descending bit to sound like the record, there's some snazzy pulloffs going on I think. Anyone else any ideas on this one?
Quote by Andron17

How long have you been playing?

About back in black, i have a solution that I use.

When you get to the bending part, bend up, and as you are bending back down, pulloff.

Good Luck
There is no easy way to answer so broad a question. If all you want to do is play well in a band situation, practice the songs the band plays.

If you want to get better at improvisation, rhythm and general playing ability, then you're going to have to tackle some theory. www.justinguitar.com has some good tips for people starting out.
Been playing for almost a month now and I've found Unholy Conessions by Avenged Sevenfold to be awesome. Sounds good, fun to play, and most importantly easy. Just take it piece by piece. Shouldn't have a huge problem learning it.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by TJ1991
I think he had something more specific in mind, but you obviously didn't think of that when posting your swift reply

Honestly though, you can learn anything you want, its more HOW you learn it. Back In Black may be a good place to start cos the chords are fairly easy, and you can learn the solos by starting slow and getting faster once you've perfected it at a given speed.

you're obviously upset i caught you w/ your pants down in another thread, don't be bitter over internet forums pls
if you like classic rock,
learn Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd, itll help with picking accuracy intensly,

just remember, for the intro, theres 3 chord shapes (with a few changes), then you just strum them in a pattern, ill even help you out, the shapes are C major, G7, and Am,
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Quote by nouOU
you're obviously upset i caught you w/ your pants down in another thread, don't be bitter over internet forums pls

Haha I'm only joking, chill
Quote by Andron17