Ok so I'm one whos always wondered what Cliff could do with out the effects, and I came across this enchanced bass mix of Ride the Lightning..

http://

That is quite a tone he had there!, its a shame the final mix had to be cruel and bury it though
That makes me love him even more.....I want to say he used Mesa.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I would love to hear Call of Ktulu like that or Creeping Death
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
That makes me love him even more.....I want to say he used Mesa.....

Mesa D-180 head, Mesa 4x12 and custom 1x15 cabs. On this record, he used his Rickenbacker modded with Gibson and Seymour-Duncan pickups. That distortion is from flogging the 6L6GC power tubes in his amp to the brink of death. No pedals there!

Part of me sees Cliff as newb stuff, but he was one of my original inspirations, so I still love it no matter how much I "mature"
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I don't know.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I think on the released mix of Ride the Lightning, Cliff still uses this tone, just alot lower in the mix.
This is just a remix of the released version. I think the guy took the tracks from the 'Rock Band' game and simply remixed them, as they have seperate instrument tracks.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
that tone is awful
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The tone....=O
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Quote by skater dan0
that tone is awful

+1, but if you like it I'm hardly goign to change an opinion, tone liek nearly everything in music is purely subjective.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at May 21, 2008,
Quote by sinan90
+1, but if you like it I'm hardly goign to change an opinion, tone liek nearly everything in music is purely subjective.

true

and "liek"?? sinan i'm ashamed of you
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
i love the sound of the bass, but as a whole the song sounds so much different. It sounds more of bass dominatent parts in most of the song (duh, it's supposed to sound like that i know cuz its enhanced) but the song as a whole feels like i am listening to guitarists on 1 side playing and then a bassist playing on the complete opposite side of the stage. Not hearing it as one jam but rather 2 seperate parts.

Honestly though, there are some sweet parts that the bass is amazing. I can't deny that.

my answer is kinda vague, but o well.

EDIT: nvm i didnt know it was seperated tracks from rock band..
Last edited by Crazy Horse at May 21, 2008,
That's awesome, Metallica should definitely re-release their albums with the bass audible (although not quite this prominent in the mix). Believe it or not, I love the tone. I love the whole cranked-tube-amp sound.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Actually, this does sound kind of good. In fact, I would love the tone if it was only a little more bassier, in this video, it sounds a little too nasally to me, if that's the word I'm looking for.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Quote by sinan90

+1 I love Cliff as he's one of my big influences and I like his clean and distorted tones but I don't love them....I do love his writing though...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have mixed feelings about Cliff.... I don't care for his approach to bass at all, but I do dig his approach to music and life in general.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
I have mixed feelings about Cliff.... I don't care for his approach to bass at all, but I do dig his approach to music and life in general.

Same here.

I'm not much of a fan of the tone in that video though
Nice to hear it like that but I dont feel for the tone.

ALTHOUGH, the same user uploaded the same thing for Blackened, finally you can hear Jason and it sounds alot better(maybe too enhanced)!
Quote by Waters?
Nice to hear it like that but I dont feel for the tone.

ALTHOUGH, the same user uploaded the same thing for Blackened, finally you can hear Jason and it sounds alot better(maybe too enhanced)!

I'm ****ing learning Blackened on bass now.....I've realized that my favorite riff from Blackened sounds just as cool on bass.....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls