Hey yall,

I just got a confirmation that i did get the job i applied for and i start tommarow anyway im in need of a new amp which will fulfill my needs . I've been looking for an amp with these specs: Good metal tone, Good Clean Tone, Reliable, has to have enough watts for band practice, 2 or more channels(footswitchable), and a FX loop. I've searched and searched and the B-52 112 and the Randall RG50TC seem to be the only options in my price range due to the fact that i only want to spend about 700 at most
Which one of these amps would be better for me? The main thing that i cant decide on between the amps is the clean channel. I've searched the forums but it seems as though some people say there cleans are good and usuable, while some say they suck. My goal with my new amp is to make Opeth type music i.e. great cleans as well as great distortion. All opinions are welcome Thanks!
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
take it from me, the B-52 is well worth the money, IMO it has an excellent distortion and clean channel, the cleans are good for stuff like Opeth and Chevelle, and the distortion is good for Tool, and Pulse Ultra, (but you probably haven't heard of them). I'm buying one as soon as the money comes my way.
yea the b-52 is a bit dark sounding though, and the eq settings dont seem to have a whole lot of range. But i just got an eq pedal in my effects loop... I don't even use my metal muff anymore, haha i love my amp.

the cleans are pretty good, not the best, but they get the job done well, with the reverb on the amp you can make it sound pretty good.

The distortion is really nice. It had one of the nicest sounding gain channels in any amp i've tried in the 500$ price range. Some people go with valvekings but i personally didn't like them... but to each their own.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at May 20, 2008,
I have the B52 ST6012 and the clean tone is awesome. The amp was well worth the money, paying about 700 for it. A friend of mine has the B52 112 and the clean tone is the same as mine. Great quality, well rounded amps.
the randall sounds amazing at high volumes, the B-52's have too much breakup in my honest opinion

randall also makes amps exclusively for metal and high-gain tones
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
witch one is the B-52 with three channels that one is great?
for what it can do and offer its a really, really amazing amp for the money.
the thing that really surprised me was the cleans, because the dirty channels where so awesome you know i tought thered have to be a compromise on the clean channel but there wasnt it was bettor than expected and i would have to say there bettor than a classic 30/50.
If you want an amp that can pull of metal with no prob and could handle all else pretty well, bettor than descent actually, then this is the amp for you especially
Last edited by the-kidR44 at May 21, 2008,
B-52 hands down.

I've got the At100 head and it has amazing cleans and amazing distortion. Just hit the little "bright" switch on your clean channel and wow! You'd never think you'd get such good cleans out of a high gain amp.

Also, I went used and got my entire half stack for $670 dollars so you could afford more. You could afford a B-52 AT100 head and a good 2x12 cab for 700 bucks.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Last edited by The Charm at May 21, 2008,
but yea I do also agree theres not a whole lot of of head room in the at 112, with the clean channel at about 10 oclock or higher it does break up... but that doesnt bother me at all for what I play
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial