Hi there UG, I was wandering about the Dimebag Distortion, MXR DD-11. I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Peavey Valveking 112. Probably a guitar change & amp would do it, but for the money that I have now maybe a pedal can make it through a couple of months. Mi idea is getting this pedal and in a couple of months, something like a Jackson Kelly KE3 Pro, still got to check out different guitars...

My idea of metal sound is something like old-Metallica & Megadeth. I know my amp can be a problem, but I got it a couple of months ago and I wasn't really into any genre, but now I'm very in to Metal.

So, with the MXR DD11, can I get a good sound with my current settings? Would it be useful later after changing guitar?. I was told is an excellent pedal, so I'm interested.

Thanks.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
up?
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
your proberly better of with a metal muff if your only startnig out, used to have one can get brutal sounds. Although of course a crank mesa stack will get you a decent tone as always :P. Also maybe check out a ds-1, not as much gain on tap, but you could mod it if your into electronics and stuff. Give us a PM if you dont get any more replies
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Ok, tomorrow I think I'm going to test some pedals, the problem now is that I'm from Argentina, and well, on the net I didn't found the Metal Muff anywhere. I'm going to check some stores, but I don't know if I would find anything... I'll try the DS-1, the Metal Muff, and the DD-11.

Am I wrong, or does the DD-11 offer a better bass than the others?, kinda like the best settings I've found are high treble, low-low mid, and middle bass, but I don't know lot of the EQ settings yet.

But, would I really get an improvement by buying any of the pedals?
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
I've never played a Valveking, but I've heard you can push it into metal territory with an overdrive pedal.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Yeah, and it probably sounds nothing like Dime's tone anyways.
Not that that's a bad thing or anything .

I'd just get an overdrive like a bad monkey or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I've got all three that were mentioned. DS-1, DD-11 and the Metal Muff and the Metal Muff is my pick.
yea the better ur amps clean sound is, the more the overdrive is gonna improve when u buy a distortion pedal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The Bad Monkey it's less expensive, I think I can afford both...

So do you think the bad monkey will make better change than a Distortion one? What other variant for a OverDrive?

Also... the EQ of the Bad Monkey is 2 bands only, am i right?, And in other case, would be better to get both pedals? would it be useful short-term and long-term?
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
Get a Bad Monkey and use it to overdrive your lead channel. Do it by putting the Gain at 0 and increasing the level.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
So, I've been to some stores today, and they didn't have the MXR DD-11 nor the Metal Muff, they had problems with importing, they said that probably next week, but they have been kinda 2 weeks without nothing entering the country. So I've tried a OverDrive, the MXR Zakk Wylde, and it isn't what i'm looking for... I think a distortion would make the sound of metal that I want.

Tomorrow I'm going to check out one store that may have stock. Based in an opinion of a friend of mine, he said that the dime is better, but i would check out both.
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
Surprised you didn't care for the zak wylde with some tweaking it can be a smoking distortion pedal.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
The pedal sucks and darkarbiter7 is correct it doesnt sound like Dime at all.

Also the VK can get spot on metallica tone with the right settings, eq pedal, Bad monkey, tube change and speaker swap. So its something to look forward too so just buy a piece at a time. First thing i would purchase is the BM then go from there..
Okay, haven't you read the thread at all? I don't want in any way the same exact sound, or even try. I want the style of thrash like megadeth and metallica for setting a start.

So you say I need to change some things, is that easy? is that cheap?, is that 100% problems free?, so I break something and there goes my money, and is not the same getting something in USA than in Argentina.

I don't know but, as far as I knew, DISTORTION and OVERDRIVE, where 2 different things, so why would I get OVERDRIVE when I want Distortion?, they are 2 things different, for example for what I tried yesterday the lead channel from an amp in comparison to the Zakk Pedal, I totaly want the one from the lead channel, the overdrive is something different, is other sound.
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
right overdrives work by pushing the tubes in an amp, and for more "distortion" are used on the gain channel to boost the amps excisting effects. Where as on the other hand distortion is used generally on the clean channel, although some lighter dist pedals are used on the gain channel. But dont offer the same dynamics as an OD (could be good or bad depedning what you want).

My advice would be, if you like the gain channel on your amp buy yourself a decent OD, and although everyone recommends tubescreamers i personally really liked the zakk wylde OVERDRIVE for boosting a gainy channel. But if you want a new "voicing" and sound i would go for the metal muff. It will offer a tighter but les organic sound, depends what you want. But for metallica and megadeth i would say muff
Quote by Utci
Okay, haven't you read the thread at all? I don't want in any way the same exact sound, or even try. I want the style of thrash like megadeth and metallica for setting a start.

So you say I need to change some things, is that easy? is that cheap?, is that 100% problems free?, so I break something and there goes my money, and is not the same getting something in USA than in Argentina.

I don't know but, as far as I knew, DISTORTION and OVERDRIVE, where 2 different things, so why would I get OVERDRIVE when I want Distortion?, they are 2 things different, for example for what I tried yesterday the lead channel from an amp in comparison to the Zakk Pedal, I totaly want the one from the lead channel, the overdrive is something different, is other sound.

You said you wanted thrash, i stated i can pretty much get you the exact tone of one of the bands that lead the thrash revolution. My apologies didn't know you were dead set on something that sounds nothing like the tube amps the bands you speak of use. If your looking for distortion pedal tone but is in the style of many bands then i would suggest you buy a Spider. It has the distortion quality's your looking for and plays many "styles" of music. Should be perfect for you....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You said you wanted thrash, i stated i can pretty much get you the exact tone of one of the bands that lead the thrash revolution. My apologies didn't know you were dead set on something that sounds nothing like the tube amps the bands you speak of use. If your looking for distortion pedal tone but is in the style of many bands then i would suggest you buy a Spider. It has the distortion quality's your looking for and plays many "styles" of music. Should be perfect for you....

You're right, maybe I kinda said it in a bad way.

By meaning the exact tone of one of the bands that lead thrash revolution, are you meaning the 'pedals sounds nothing like dime at all', or 'metallica tone'?

I can make the changes you said, but it's risky, or nothing at all?, and as I said, maybe I can't get some things here.

For the rest no answer, there isn't at all.

And sorry, it wasn't meant to be violent.

But it's kinda, I test the Zakk overdrive, being it a overdrive and I knew it wasn't what I was looking for, and I don't like much my lead channel. So you say that getting the BM, then changing the others things would be it?, and it would be better than the metal muff or the mxr dd11?, if you tell me the exact things I will see if they are possible to get here and I can do it, all if it isn't risky at all, or if it's to easy...
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
get a metal muff and use it on your clean channel. If you really dont like it, then just flog it on ebay you wont loose much
You're right, maybe I kinda said it in a bad way.

By meaning the exact tone of one of the bands that lead thrash revolution, are you meaning the 'pedals sounds nothing like dime at all', or 'metallica tone'?

I can make the changes you said, but it's risky, or nothing at all?, and as I said, maybe I can't get some things here.

For the rest no answer, there isn't at all.

And sorry, it wasn't meant to be violent.

But it's kinda, I test the Zakk overdrive, being it a overdrive and I knew it wasn't what I was looking for, and I don't like much my lead channel. So you say that getting the BM, then changing the others things would be it?, and it would be better than the metal muff or the mxr dd11?, if you tell me the exact things I will see if they are possible to get here and I can do it, all if it isn't risky at all, or if it's to easy...

Heres the thing Distortion pedals generally sound Thin and Buzzy. Even the Famed Metal Muff. The only pedal i know that hits an artists tone pretty close is the Uber Metal. Put it on pulverize and you have Pantera in a box. But the main reason this is even possible is because Dimebag used SS amps and his sound has the tone of a Chainsaw. So its easier to mimic using a pedal. Now trying to mimic the distortion on a tube amp is almost impossible with a pedal unless you drop a good chunk of coin. So i would suggest again using what you got and make it better.

Heres the details on the VK and I own the amp so its not like i havent been dealing with the same issues. As yourself.

Valveking
Treble: Dont take it past 5 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up) 0-5 adjust to taste
Middle: Dont take it past 8 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up) 0-8 adjust to taste
Bass: Use as normal
Presence:Use as normal
Resonance:Use as normal
Texture knob:Clockwise Tight thrash tone, Counter Clockwise Loose and Modern but a bit muddy
Gain: Dont take past 7-8 or it will get muddy
Volume Button: In or out its prefrence
Gain Button: In adds big boost of gain and highs.. Prefrence as well.

Loves OD pedals, best so far has been the Bad Monkey
Settings Level 10 Gain 0, But any OD pedal will work.

Needs: Tube and speakers replaced. Loves V30 speakers and JJ's for the preamps if you want a brighter tone which gives it a good marshall/mesa tone.

Heres the list for a cheap solution..

Cheapest way out...
Used Bad monkey $20
Fish and Chips EQ $30
Tubes $45
Speaker $110
Total
$215.00 also if you can wheel and deal i was able to get 3 tubes for $15 bucks total... So that would knock that cost down.
Thanks for all the info, I've been searching for the prices.
About the settings for the EQ, Presence and Resonance I think they are from the VK212. I only got a Resonance switch (Tight - Loose), and a Texture control (Class "A" - Class "A/B").

About the replacementes/pedals:
The Speaker:
V30 = Celestion Vintage 30, right?, found one USED at U$S165, or a new one at U$S200 (take in account that U$S1 = AR$ 3,18; + that almost everything here is 50% expensive in comparisson tu USA). The used it appears to be from England, and the new from USA. The used is from a 2x12 that has 6 months of use. So, I think that I can go for the new, but going for the used is really less money, so can it be broken or something? or its the same?. 8 Ohms - 60W, right?. The current stock speaker of the VK112 is of 16Ohms... So can I put one of 8 Ohms?
Pedals:
Fish and Chips EQ = The Danelectro with the 7 band? I found an used one at U$S32, nothing -at least in internet- about a new one. I think getting the used one.
Bad Monkey = Only new. U$S70.
Tubes:
JJ Tubes = Should I change only the preamp ones?, which would you suggest?. Preamp currents: 3x ¿Maybe Electro-Harmonix?; power amp = 2x Ruby.

So far U$S265 without the tubes, I've got the money, I will need to know what preamp tubes I need and I'm buying all the stuff...

Thanks for all.
Jackson Kelly KE3

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
Last edited by Utci at May 24, 2008,
line 6 uber metal is THE BEST for metallica/dime. it has all the right settings and enough gain for anything. its solid as and isnt that expensive.
FTW!
What I see here is two options:

1. You can mod the Valveking:

Changing out the speaker, getting new tubes for it, getting a overdrive pedal too boost the Valveking, and a EQ Pedal would get you a Metallica/Megadeth tone.

2. Getting a good distortion pedal that's being ran into the clean channel:

Some pedals that could get you the sounds you're looking for:

Hardwire TL-2

http://www.digitech.com/products/Hardwire/Demo/HWTL-2_MP3.php

(Click Tight 1)

Sansamp GT-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7dmvLtQkps

TC Electronics Nova Drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxEOb5DAQNI

Radial Hot British Tonebone

http://www.tonebone.com/mp3s/waters-collage-7min-128kbps.mp3

Both rhythm and lead on Jeff Water's demo. I emailed them. And listen to the whole demo. It doesn't get to a good rhythm sound untill you hear "THE BEAST!"

Blackstar HT Dist X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecpClAISEfY&feature=related

I personally have not tried this pedal, but it sounds great in the video.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yea the better ur amps clean sound is, the more the overdrive is gonna improve when u buy a distortion pedal

what? that may be the case with SOME amps like the JC-120 (which is also debatable) but that's not how tube amps work.

seriously. you're misleading the TS.