so just say im playing some chords on the guitar....and im supposed to sing something over them.....what do I do....do i sing so that the vocals match the chords??
If you want a very boring song. Are you creating a song or playing a cover? You're voice should be making a melody. It should be in a key and have a rhythm. Listen to other singers. Do they sing the same note as the root of the chord? In most cases, no. Maybe they the first note the sing in a phrase may be the root of the chord implied by the music but they will usually use other notes in the key.

An understanding of scales will help greatly.
Ok....coz Ive got a chord progression in Dmajor and the chords are D ; Fsharp minor ; B minor ; G ; A.......so if i want to put some very simple vocals on this....i just use my ear and try to sing to the chords?????
Pretty much. The song is in D major so use notes from the D major scale. As mentioned, there is a vocal sticky to help you.
Play the notes you want to sing. So over the Dmaj if you wanted to sing an E, an F# and a G. Pick out the individual notes, sing them so you're on key as if you were tuning, then remember the notes and sing them over the chord.
Quote by :-D
Only vocal/singing tips thread.

*reported*

Since the question seems to pertain to writing vocal parts (misleading title, though) and not some technical issue with singing, I'll leave it open.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by MAMADERA2000
so just say im playing some chords on the guitar....and im supposed to sing something over them.....what do I do....do i sing so that the vocals match the chords??
Just get out a guitar and noodle around and find something simple (theres more to it, but this is the best advice for a beginner)

When writing vocal lines, make sure you dont do any diminished fifth steps, minor sixth steps, major sixth steps, or minor/major seventh steps. Octaves are okay. These steps are generally too hard to sing, but if your experienced you may be able to do it.
Pentatonics are good for folky songs, but if you want to write something with a more contemporary feel, try to move about by a semitone or tone, probably to a scale like a scalar run (but dont do more than 3 or 4 of these small steps as its also hard to sing). Also, alot of contemporary songs like to repeat notes (unison interval), try to avoid doing this too much because the melody will 'stick.' In my oppinion 2 or 3 repitions of the same note is enough. Anything 4 or more is over kill and will stick, in most situations.
Rhthym wise, try to phrase your songs like the sort of music you listen to (this is also over simplified). Anacrusic rhthyms actually do quite well. Anacrusic means the melody starts on a weak beat, half or three quarters into a bar. Syncopation, which is similar, also makes melodies rhthymically catchy. But dont use it too much, as syncopation is sort of hard to sing.

By the way, I'm not a singer (I barely have an octave range)), just really interested in composition.

Than theres also another ultra long wall of text ammount of information about putting words to a melody.
Last edited by demonofthenight at May 21, 2008,
Sorry, but actually, you don't ask "how to sing".
If you can not do some basic melody improvisation without having to ask for theory, you just aren't a singer. Theory may help to give you virtuosity, but can't give you talent, or a feeling for hitting the "right" notes, yes I mean the ones being in tune.
You are a singer , if you can just sing something right away, with such power, feeling and beauty, that it is obvious that you ARE a singer. Otherwise, forget it. I don't want to "hurt" anybody, but that's the truth.
Only because there are a lot of singer (especially punk) having no talent, but still being successfull doesn't make it better. Don't let anybody tell you, that everyone can learn everything.
Quote by AmonRe
If you can not do some basic melody improvisation without having to ask for theory, you just aren't a singer. Theory may help to give you virtuosity, but can't give you talent, or a feeling for hitting the "right" notes, yes I mean the ones being in tune.
You are a singer , if you can just sing something right away, with such power, feeling and beauty, that it is obvious that you ARE a singer. Otherwise, forget it. I don't want to "hurt" anybody, but that's the truth.
Only because there are a lot of singer (especially punk) having no talent, but still being successfull doesn't make it better. Don't let anybody tell you, that everyone can learn everything.
You can start off sounding like a dying cat and become a decent singer. Someone who doesn't start off sounding great or really knowing what to do isn't just "not a singer". Granted, a "natural" singer has a greater potential but you're not bound to suck just because you're starting and a little confused.
When I first started singing, I could sing with emotion and power but only in an extremely limited range. If I went out of that range it'd sound like ****e. But, singing can be learned, as I have and am still learning myself and have improved greatly. Generally the best way to learn is simply sing into a mic with some headphones on so you get the sound of your voice from the outside rather than the inner ear. Feel out your diaphragm. And I think everyone else already covered creating melodies and such, though I don't think it's necessary to be good at improvising vocal melodies.. it definitely can't hurt, but it's nowhere near necessary. If you need, write out the notes of a vocal melody using an instrument, then put words over the notes. Just remember to stay in a singable range.
Quote by AmonRe
Music is just one note after another. There is no inherit emotion in aerial sound waves and there frequencies. No one can do anything perfectly naturally, its impossible. Genes code for physical attributes (as in appearance and so on) and protiens. There is no 'musical gene.'