Poll: Neck building?
Poll Options
View poll results: Neck building?
Neck-through (with lots of advice from a proffesional guitar builder (my Woodwork teacher :P)
4 44%
Set neck (same with advice)
1 11%
Bolt on (again with advice)
3 33%
Buy a bolt on
1 11%
Voters: 9.
ADDED A POLL COS THERES SOME DIFFERENT VIEWS

hey UG!!
in a few months, probably over the summer or maybe the winter (or both), depending, i am gonna build my very first guitar :O
obviously, being not so familiar with building guitars, i have a few questions, and it would be awesome if u can help me out

1. id feel like im cheating if i didnt build a neck, and im DEFINATELY building the body, but i dont know wether to do a bolt-on or through neck, but i think set neck is just a risky version of a good bolt on. (correct me if im wrong)
ive been told that building a through neck is difficult by some, others have said its difficult but definately worth it, and others have said its not really any more difficult than just building a bolt on neck, its just different instead of harder. what do you guys think? is it harder or just different?

2. now its time for the noob question
does a neck through have a truss rod? (please dont hate me
ive tried searching but it must be too obvious cos no-one has said anything about it

3. mahogony/maple/mahogony laminate
maple/mahogony/maple laminate
maple/wenge/maple laminate
(for the neck/through neck)

if i was to do a throguh neck, i think i would go:
maple wing, mahogony outer neck, maple inner neck, mahogony outer neck, maple wing
OR
mahogony wing, maple outer neck, wenge middle laminate, maple out neck, mahogony wing

(purely because i saw a guitar with lots of laminates and it looked AMAZING!!)

id hate to paint the guitar, so ill stick with nice wood and staining or oiling

feedback on my ideas and answers to my questions would be MUCH appreciated

thanks in advance UG
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Last edited by chippythingy at May 22, 2008,
if this is your first guitar i would NOT recommend building a neck AT ALL
go to Warmoth or Stewmac

even the body is shockingly difficult
the neck requires ridiculous precision
for a a first project, its better to just do the body. that way youre pretty much guaranteed a guitar that will play by the end of the project, assuming youre good at soldering :P

this is an amazing place for guitar building knowledge:
http://www.tpdri.com/
its focused around telecaster building but the essentials are all there
there are plenty of guys on there whove been building for years, some for a living
try to get a hold of Ron Kirn, or Buck-O-Caster. both are incredibly knowledgable, and avid posters on tpdri

best of luck on your build
~b

(please dont try a neck just yet)
neck-through is really dumb to do as a first guitar, those guitars are only decent at best if done professionally, carefully, and laminated perfectly.

if its your first build, buy a template from guitarbuildingtemplates. look em up on google. the dude is scatter-brained as hell, and it takes forever to ship anything, but its WAY worth it. i would either buy a pre-made neck, or ATLEAST buy a pre-slotted/radiused fingerboard.
in my opinion, i think that building a neck is different to building the body yeh?
so if i built the body first, then i have practice with working with wood
and if building a neck is an entirely different thing, then why not do it first time?
cos whether u build a neck on ur first or second project, or 1,000,000 project, its STILL gonna be ur first neck, ok maybe i should just make a guitar out of cheap wood, and buy decent hardware, then i can make another guitar some other time and use that decent hardware?
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
^^^no offense, but im gonna have to disagree. my first build, i built the neck, and i know from experience, the only way to get good at building necks is to..well..build one! and, if it turns out bad, neck blanks are one of the cheaper parts of a build, so u can buy another.

And no, a set neck is not just a glued in version of a bolt on, each has its pros and cons, but i would recommend bolt on for a first build, its the simplest of the three

and all necks do have truss rods.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
im buying a pre radiused rosewood fingerboard and pre slotted fingerboard from david dyke
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
I would do a bolt on if it's your first guitar, that way if you messed up like I did on my strat build all you loose is a piece of maple or whatever you use instead of everything else too. Also remember to get a fretting hammer or a good brass hammer when your fretting it I made that mistake before.
any type of decent deadblow hammer will do the trick for frets. a fret press is ideal, but an unnecessary luxury
ah ok i think ill just make a nice body, and then make a bolt on like you guys have suggested.
ill post some ideas for specs later, i gotta go to school now :P
anyonehave detailed instructions on how to install a trus rod?
everywhere ive looked its been a bit simple and i dont understand.
thankyou for all ur help
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
For a truss rod? Once you have made your neck, before you attach the finger board (most times) you route a channel for it. Then you put masking tape around the truss rod so it fits snugly in the channel. Make sure there is an access point to the truss rod screw at either the headstock (most common) or the heal (less common), and glue on your fingerboard.

I believe this to be correct, however I have never done it. Please correct me if I am wrong
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by chippythingy
in my opinion, i think that building a neck is different to building the body yeh?
so if i built the body first, then i have practice with working with wood
and if building a neck is an entirely different thing, then why not do it first time?
cos whether u build a neck on ur first or second project, or 1,000,000 project, its STILL gonna be ur first neck, ok maybe i should just make a guitar out of cheap wood, and buy decent hardware, then i can make another guitar some other time and use that decent hardware?

i admire your spirit in this case...but you dont really know what your getting yourself into
i take it from the way youre talking, youve never worked with wood before?
im 18...been doing carpentry type things for about 4 years hobby-like. it takes a while to familiarize yourself with all the tools of the trade. i know how to use the things i working with and im STILL making mistakes on my telecaster build

honestly...know what your doing man. you can get really hurt.
especially with a router (which you will need). that things deadly
nah im 15, very nearly 16, and im no retard, ill survive
plus ill probably get helped by my dad a lot, hes good with wood, and i want to do some sort of project with him while i can, (if uve read the ug curse thread, ud understand what im on about ) so for one of the first times ever, im gonna go against UG's advice and build a neck anyway, plus i can buy the wood for a neck for £20 whereas a neck is gettin on near £180
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Get a maple bass neck blank from Tonetech for £27, then make a standard electric neck through with it. Personally, I think that making a neck-through is easier than a set neck or bolt-on. Sure, it takes more planning and more time, but it's much simpler.
i am in the process of making my first neck right now and I is easier than I thought it would be. I am going to shape some of it tonight.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
ok guys, im nearly there in deciding, and my guitar teacher builds guitars, and my woodwork teacher builds a LOT of guitars, ill post a pic of them if i get them, some of them look awesome, and theyre my inspiration to build a guitar, so ill have a lot of help if i run into trouble, and he says he thinks a guitar is great idea, and hell let me use the workshop tools if i RLY need to, and if i run into super trouble, hell help me, and ill have my dad keepin an eye on me at home.
and ive added a poll so u can help me make a final decision on what to do about the neck.
thanks so far though!
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
i dont see the big issue with building a neck... i built the neck on my first guitar and it came out nice... few little things here and there but the neck was pretty cheap so even if i had to fix or replace it it's still worth it for the experience...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
build it but buy a few blanks it took me 2 tries to get something half decent out of it really, but i really do reccomend building, its way better .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT