Ok, so I have been playing for 3 years or so, and I currently have two no-name guitars (well, one is (and it's strings rub against the fret bars like there's no tomorrow, I don't know how I ever played it - first guitar), the other is Jay Turser, a fairly well known starter guitar company). They are both beginner guitars, and I feel I'm ready to move up to the big name guitars.

Both of the guitars I own were never tested by me when I bought them, my first one was just bought by my Dad from his friend, it's a starter guitar, I didn't need to test it out, only $100 not of my money. Second guitar was a gift from Christmas, $200, I couldn't test it, but it actually is (compared to a fender squier ) a decent guitar.

Now I've gotten a job a few weeks ago, and it's pay-day soon, and my friend is selling me a BC Rich Special Edition (I don't know if it's a special edition of any certain guitar, or just a special edition in general). The kid says he bought it for $1500, and he only played it about 5 times (his amp broke or something), and I don't really trust the kid, so I asked his brother (who I do trust), and he says he payed $1400 and played it 3 or 4 times. So the story checks out, it's high-end. The kid is selling it to me for $300.

While I will almost certainly buy it (the kid likes drugs, that's why it's cheap), but as I've never tested out a guitar, I don't really know how..

My questions are:

- What should I play? A song? A riff? Scales?
When I was taught guitar I had to play a standard C scale (using only the first 3 frets, but all strings, ascending and descending), so I REALLY know what that sounds like, so I'll play that at the bottom, as well as at the 12th fret to test how high and low sound.. But is that enough?

- Should I be looking for anything in particular? Like certain parts on it or something?
I don't want a guitar that has pieces from a bunch of other guitars, I was told it is basically brand new, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks for any help.

To see what the guitar looks like search 'Special Edition Series Avenge' in google, the one with the pink trim around it, and it's black. I'll be getting the same one except the one I'm getting has green trim instead of pink.
wow i would buy it for 300, sell it on craigslist for $1000 and then buy an epiphone elitist les paul or a gibson LP studio
Idlefolk
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul
Lotus Telecaster copy w/ Fender pickups
Epiphone Valve Junior
Ibanez Tubescreamer, EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Digitech Metal Master, DigiDelay
Crybaby Wah
bring a tuner and check the intonation by playing an open string, checking the tuner (it doesnt have to be perfectly in tune, just remember what is says) and then compare to the 12th fret. you can do more(1st and 13th frets, 2nd and 14th, etc.). other than that i would just say to play some songs, riffs, and scales and see how it feels to you, and play around with the pickups and see how you like the sound of it. thats what id do
Play each and every note as clearly as possible. Listen for fret buzzes. If they ALL buzz the action's too low and you won't be able to make a judgement. If none of them buzz, that's ideal. If one or two of them buzz, or one string buzzes and the others are okay, some individual attention will be needed...and it doesn't sound as though you have sufficient experience to make the adjustments yourself. Of course make sure all the electronics work. IF this guitar is such a great deal just buy it and pay a tech to set it up for you.