Hi everybody - So I've been looking for a guitar for well over a year now. I've tried all the Taylor's, Martin's and Breedlove's in my price range (appx. $2000 - $2500), but I ended up buying a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Ovangkol a week ago, which was a surprise to me because I really thought I'd end up with a Taylor. Call me crazy, but I really enjoy the sound and playability of the guitar. But I'm still not 100% sold yet. I have a couple concerns:

1) The neck tends to get a little sticky since it has the lacquer finish on it (not a big deal),

2) The high e string will slip off the bottom of the neck every so often... but I think that's more of a reflection of my amateur guitar playing! It's happened less as I've gotten used to it, and

This is the important one!!!
3) This is the concern I'd like to get feedback on: most of the opinions I read regarding Gibson on guitar forums are not favorable. I've come across many "overpriced" and "average quality" threads, and I'd like to understand why people feel that way. I almost feel like I'm taking a risk by getting a Gibson after reading this stuff. Thoughts?

My decision was based on sound and feel, and this guitar sounded and felt the best to me. I want this to be my guitar for the next 10+ years, so I just want to feel good about my purchase so I can enjoy it.

I've got 30 days to decide, so I'm going to head back over and A-B it w/ some more guitars. Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks!
if it feels and sounds good then u have a fine Gibson guitar

congrats

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Finally some positive comments about a Gibson acoustic! Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm feeling good about the purchase, but am still gonna A/B one more time at the store. Gotta make sure this is the one. Man, I hate being picky!
Yeah at the store i worked at, we had a really nice Gibson acoustic in store. Don't quite remember which model, but i remember is was around $1800. Sounded fantastic!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Well firstly, Gibson is hardly alone in being overpriced. Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons all cost a bit more than they probably should, but that is because they have a built a reputation for quality.

The only negative thing I would say about Gibson acoustics is that, in my exprience, they are a bit inconsistent. Some are great, some are average, and a few are just bad.

But if you got a good one, then rest assured that it is a high quality git.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I've never enjoyed a single Gibson acoustic i've ever played. Does that mean that it's a bad guitar? Not at all. It just means that it's not for me. If it's for you then stick with and by it by alls means.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.