Narrowed it down to a Gibson Les Paul Studio or SG Standard.......have played both guitars, and I love both guitars.....unfortunately I cant get both so what do you guys think?
No because I am a guitar snob and only play Gibson/Fender.......but seriously I have always played on Gibson style guitars so it would be nice to get the real thing.
Quote by Briddell
No because I am a guitar snob and only play Gibson/Fender.......but seriously I have always played on Gibson style guitars so it would be nice to get the real thing.

Then check out other brands like Schecter, Carvin, Jackson etc.

Hey, you might like one of these brands of guitars better than Gibson.
Between those two, the SG.

But honestly, there are companies that produce guitars in LP shapes that come close to or pass Gibson quality for less than or equal to Gibson's price.

edit: Like Agile's AL line or Carvin's CS line.
if you have a good amp, I would suggest the sg.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by FireandFlames
Between those two, the SG.

But honestly, there are companies that produce guitars in LP shapes that come close to or pass Gibson quality for less than or equal to Gibson's price.

E.G; Agile.
Signatures are overrated.
If you like the Gibsons, then go with them. I don't think you'll get too much difference between the 2 guitars, except the weight. If you want a guitar that will be a bit heavy, go with the Paul, but if you want it to be light, go SG. They're both extremely versatile, so at this point, style almost doesn't matter. Almost.
Gibson quality really depends on where you play the guitar.....meaning the only bad Gibson guitars I have ever played were at GC.....the ones my friends have are really really reallyyyyy nice.
Quote by Briddell
Gibson quality really depends on where you play the guitar.....meaning the only bad Gibson guitars I have ever played were at GC.....the ones my friends have are really really reallyyyyy nice.

That's not true.
You get bad Gibson's wherever. Their QC has gone down the drain recently, and there's cheaper and better out there.
Face the facts.
Quote by Briddell
Im just saying that I have personally never played a good one at Gc

Okay..
You'd honestly be better off buying an Epiphone Les Paul custom or something. The Gibson Les Paul Studio's aren't nice, and most of them do have quality issues.
What about the les paul vinatge mahogany....my friend has one and it is very nice.
You should take a look at the Epiphone Elitist line.....supposedly they are better quality than low end Gibsons these days.
I wouldn't.
There's still better/just as good for cheaper.

Buying a guitar because of the name is stupid anyway.
I've learned in the past two months, Gibson is a name that that means quality but Gretsch, Ibanez, Jackson Schecter make incredible guitars that are equal in quality and some are a fraction of the price.

I think buying just gibson or fender is kinda like only wearing Nike and Reebok.

Slash would sound just as sick on a Jackson as he does on an LP

Clapton would probably make a BC Rich sing. It's the player, man.

That's all.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Slash did play a jackson just before Appetite was recorded, but got rid of it because he hated it...
Its personal preference, if he wants either a LP studio or SG standard let him buy one!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page