Well here is my dilemma. My songwriting over the past year has gone from prog rock to a weird mix of indie, folk, pop, and rilo kiley. I feel like the musical styles are pretty different, but that the overall moods of all of the songs is pretty similar, which means that if one part appeals to a listener, the other part will have a good chance of appealing to them as well. I have a vision of if I did include both types of music under one project that it would be really cool because it would be like "listen to this guy, he does almost everything!" but at the same time the songs might seem to be too unrelated to be presented under the same project name.

I was thinking of creating a CD with two sections: Earth - for the indie folk pop, and Space - for the spacey prog rock songs. Would this be a cool idea and should I continue to just write whatever and lump it all under one project that represents everything about me and my musical endeavors, or make a separate project for each one of my musical tastes?
I think it would be cool if you separated them somehow. Maybe 2 different CDs if you have enough tracks. A CD with 2 sections sounds cool too.
One.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
i say go with 2. i'm kinda in the same boat because i love hard rock/heavy metal but i also enjoy dance music (trip hop/industrial/d&b/techno etc etc etc) and i like mixing the 2 together. i have a lot of songs but i wasn't sure what to do. i remember i had a friend listen to my first cd and tell me "these are all good songs but they don't sound like they belong on the same album" that was the deal breaker for me, i didn't want the songs to sound like they belong on the same album, i wanted each song to sound very different than the one before it and the one after it.

i say go for a 2 cd set under 1 album/project name
Hm. I'm worried that a 2 CD set might be too much for listeners to digest for my first album for this project, ya know? I could have enough songs for 2 CDs, but I'm worried with so many songs, they might not all get the listens they deserve.
The air and space idea sounds alot like The Alchemy Index EPs from Thrice. I say just put two projects together.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
The thing I'm worried about with two projects is that it will be harder to get anything done. I might just wind up with two albums that are 3/4ths of the way done, and if I get a band together I'd have to pick which project to take to the live performance.
do the earth space thing, id listen to it and i love albums with loadsa difrent kinds of music, not only do they attract difrent audiances but it also inspirers people to like different genres, it also proves that not only ONE style of music is good but that all styles are good one way or the other (exept rap and pop do not do rap and pop lol)
Quote by Non Boxed
Hm. I'm worried that a 2 CD set might be too much for listeners to digest for my first album for this project, ya know? I could have enough songs for 2 CDs, but I'm worried with so many songs, they might not all get the listens they deserve.

Yeah, you have to grab attention. I love the Red Hot chili peppers but their double album took time to grow on me. Maybe you could weigh it to be mostly one kind then say a quarter the other.
Quote by Non Boxed

Release them at different times, like an epic musical series
do this:

Call it: Earth & Space.
have 13 songs on cd.
1 intermission song that is a experimental jam that starts out acousticly then it blends into Prog rock with keyboards and what ever you guys got. let that song fade into the next song *witch can be any song that would fit good into*

so lets see u got 12 songs left.

first 6 be Indie folk pop.
last 6 be Prog Rock

so the album would be:

1: *
2: *
3: *
4: *
5: *
6: *
7: Intermission
8: *
9: *
10: *
11: *
12: *
13: *

look at a good example: Panic at the disco's first album "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out"
first half is Upbeat Rock with keyboards.
then intermission hits and it blends into a softer side with cello, bells, acoustic, piano, accordian stuff.

thats just a thought about what u could do.
Have you considered rewriting the first songs you made? (I am assuming from your post that the prog-rock songs came earlier, and then your song writing changed to the more indie sound.) They don't have to be total rewrites or anything, just tweak the sounds so they sound more similar, kinda like if you had decided to cover a song that was outside of your normal genre.
I think both styles of music should definitely be on one album. This shows your versatility and it represents who you are musically. I also love the name Space and Earth. I think a double album may be a bit much for a first album. So I really recommend doing it the way floyd matt suggested.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.