I am wanting to learn how to do some old school picking like doc watson any pointers
Well first, it's called fingerpicking, please don't call it old school picking. Anyways, get a thumb pick, and start working on just going through c and g7 playing the bass note, then like 0 1 0 going up or down on c, and the same strings on g7. Focus on your right hand. Then try some easier Chet Atkins songs like Yankee Doodle Dixie or some easier classical songs. Your fingers will hurt for a day or two. You'll get used to it. If you have long nails, clean them up, file them to a smooth nail, and you can use them. They must protrude a bit, so don't clip them all the way. If you wan't to use nails, but have sensitive nails and you wish to buy finger picks, stay away from metal. They will always give you a bad sound if you learn with incorrect posture. Your hand should be paralell to the strings.
Quote by chetatkins421
Well first, it's called fingerpicking, please don't call it old school picking.

Doc Watson is best known for his flatpicking, isn't he? As soon as I read his name I thought the OP wanted tips on learning to flatpick.
Quote by matt11_24
Doc Watson is best known for his flatpicking, isn't he? As soon as I read his name I thought the OP wanted tips on learning to flatpick.

Doc Watson is a beast in both styles. For either one, try Homespun Tapes. They have an instructional DVD with Doc and many others too.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Quote by Made Of Metal
Doc Watson is a beast in both styles. For either one, try Homespun Tapes. They have an instructional DVD with Doc and many others too.

Oh yes, absolutely. I know Doc is an excellent flat and finger picker. For some reason I've always labeled him primarily a flatpicker though. That's why I assumed the OP was wanting to learn to flatpick. Also I agree that Homespun has wonderful instructional materials out there.