Well my amp decision went full circle today.

I went to guitar center and long story short I like the 6505 better then the rectifier.

6505 cleans arn't as nice as the rectifier but still usable and I like the gain on the 6505 better. I ges the 6505 just grew on me. So now my search to find one used begins.

A couple questions

1- what is a good used price for the head and for the combo?

2- whats better 6505 or 5150 don't say the + becouse I didn't like it as much as the 6505?

3- I heard there is a way to make the head 60 watts if so how can I do that becouse 120 watts is to much and would make me buy the combo.

4- what is the 5150 block letter amp?
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
YES.
NICK-NAC PATTY WACK GIVE A DOG A HANDJOB!

The day I see a squirrel masturbating to pictures of other squirrels is the day that we'll lose our human uniqueness.
I had a 6505+ and took it back for a Krankenstein. I hear the 6505 is better than the +, which is really, really confusing to a peon like me.
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin

Well my amp decision went full circle today.

I went to guitar center and long story short I like the 6505 better then the rectifier.

6505 cleans arn't as nice as the rectifier but still usable and I like the gain on the 6505 better. I ges the 6505 just grew on me. So now my search to find one used begins.

A couple questions

2- whats better 6505 or 5150 don't say the + becouse I didn't like it as much as the 6505?

3- I heard there is a way to make the head 60 watts if so how can I do that becouse 120 watts is to much and would make me buy the combo.

probably 450-600 used for the combo, 600-800 used for the head.

There is no difference between the 6505 and 5150, EVH leaving Peavey is why they had to change the name. Even the coveted block letter heads only had better tubes in them stock.

You can pull a pair of tubes, either inner or outer, and compensate with the impedance selector to half the wattage. It's not always advised though, and there isn't a lot of volume difference between 60W and 120W, only 3dB, it's mostly about headroom. If you're a metal player, you aren't going to want the power tubes saturating anyway, that's why most of the high gain metal heads are higher wattage.

IMO, the heads sound better than the combos. The heads use a bigger transformer, and seem to have more punch and balls. That, and you can match them with a good set of speakers in your own cab. The combo had better cleans to me, but who buys a 5150 for cleans.

oh forgot one thing, the block letter heads literally had the letters EVH printed in block letters, rather than Eddies signature. The only difference, is they used better tubes from the factory in the older block letter models.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at May 20, 2008,
Quote by Erock503
The combo had better cleans to me, but who buys a 5150 for cleans.

LOL the truest thing I have heard all day
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin

1- The heads can go from anywhere between 500-850.
2- I prefer the 5150's, because I think even though they maintain the same circuitry, they were made with higher quality parts. And I've found that the 5150 just has more "umph" when you need it.
3- You can take out either the two inner or two outer tubes, I do this. You won't notice a huge difference in volume, but the tubes saturate faster.
4- It was a version of the 5150 that came with the letters EVH instead of his signature that had better tubes stock than the signature heads.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Forgive the hijacking of the thread but, would taking the two tubes out for half the wattage work for the 6505+ head as well?
Quote by dissident52
Forgive the hijacking of the thread but, would taking the two tubes out for half the wattage work for the 6505+ head as well?

Yeah, no reason it shouldn't.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I would make it half wattage becouse 120 watts is crazy loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
^^ boop.
Quote by erock503
You can pull a pair of tubes, either inner or outer, and compensate with the impedance selector to half the wattage. It's not always advised though, and there isn't a lot of volume difference between 60W and 120W, only 3dB, it's mostly about headroom. If you're a metal player, you aren't going to want the power tubes saturating anyway, that's why most of the high gain metal heads are higher wattage.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
hehe, just wait till you actually try it, the difference isn't as much as you think. It's a very small perceived difference in actual volume. It's more about your tubes saturating faster. I guess it's just preference, but I've always like the full power settings, even at the same volume. It just seems like there is a little more girth and punch with the head running at full power. I always perceive a little sag when I'm in half power on the amps I've used. I've tried it with a bunch of different heads.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If anyone wants a perfect example/comparison play a Peavey Valveking put it on the 100 watt setting then turn the texture down. Everything turns to mush and is super loose. Even with that option at my disposal I always kept it 100 watts even though I was playing at bedroom levels.
Quote by rwalby9

2- I prefer the 5150's, because I think even though they maintain the same circuitry, they were made with higher quality parts. And I've found that the 5150 just has more "umph" when you need it.

*bullsh!t alert!!*

ot: Dont go for a combo. The speakers in it arent very good imo. If you go for a head used, you can look out for a deicent 2*12 V30 or greenback used cab. That will sound alot better, and cabs dont cost alot second hand.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
*bullsh!t alert!!*

ot: Dont go for a combo. The speakers in it arent very good imo. If you go for a head used, you can look out for a deicent 2*12 V30 or greenback used cab. That will sound alot better, and cabs dont cost alot second hand.

+1

That is what I did and have not regreted it.

Chris
Quote by Erock503
probably 450-600 used for the combo, 600-800 used for the head.

Is it possible to get it down to 5 watts and get an insane metal tone at bedroom volume? lol
If I wasn't so happy with my JSX, I'd own a 6505.

Although, I think I'll buy one anyway.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Steel8909
Is it possible to get it down to 5 watts and get an insane metal tone at bedroom volume? lol

not by pulling tubes. Maybe an attenuator, but it's still not going to get you an insane metal tone IMO. People underestimate how much moving air with the speakers and cab affects the overall tone. An attenuator could possibly thicken it up a little at lower volumes, but generally most guys I've talked to that have tried one with the 5150 had disappointing or sub-par results. Some amps don't really seem to benefit much from an attenuator, and the 5150 seems to fall into that category. It has a ton of preamp gain for low vol playing already.
amp clips
amp vids