Hello again, my friends, who've gotten to know me so well (actually probably not, but eh...) I seem to be lacking inspiration lately. I don't know. I can sweep well, tap...You know, a step above basic music theory (maybe not quite intermediate yet), you know. My technique's good. It's not a feeling of boredom, or thinking I'm good, even. It's quite the opposite. I feel I'm not good enough. I've been playing for 3 years now, have just started writing my own **** (a one minute intro/riff thing). Maybe it's a slight case of inferiority complex. I dunno, it's a little hard to explain. I seem to be lacking discipline, also. I want to learn so many things, but then I practice it for maybe 2 days, then I stop.

Short version= lacking inspiration/discipline. Low self-worth. Help to get those back in order?

I figured this was the right place, so tell me if it's not, etc. etc...
Thanks for any/all advice, of course
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
I have exactly the same problem... A new piece of gear usually motivates me for a few months, but I'm pretty poor atm, and I see your gear is pretty pimped out
Quote by Demonology
I have exactly the same problem... A new piece of gear usually motivates me for a few months, but I'm pretty poor atm, and I see your gear is pretty pimped out

Yeah...My Schecter now has gold Sperzel tuners my amp is getting tiresome, however...Can't get the tone I want just exactly the way I want it (tone freak...

EDIT: Anywhobadazzle, do you have any discipline problems? Have any advice? Haha
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Keep writing your own stuff. That seems to inspire me to keep on doing it.
^see, that's the problem. I can't. I usually hate everything I come up with, which is why I've never written anything before last month, cause it's the first thing I kinda sorta like.

I dunno, maybe I need to head to the psychology thread. If there isn't one, I shall make one.

Still keep the advice thingy's comin'! Please?
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Theory time - start teaching yourself how all this works, once you actually understand a bit you'll feel a lot happier.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
First of all, everybody suffers from a lack of motivation every now and then... Jam with a couple of good friends (if possible). Not with the guys in your own band if you have. Have a good time without taking it too serious. Write you own things and play them to people. Don't be too hard on yourself. Almost every guitar player think that they could be better as players.

And sometimes just take a break.
Inspiration is bull****.

Fineeeee, not bull****. But a pretty ****ing abused concept. People blame their lack of ability to compose anything good due to lack of inspiration. Whilst this may be the case for a few days, a week, maybe a month, if you are constantly without inspiration, you're missing something else.

Work. You can't sit around on your ass with your guitar in your hand waiting for some divine light to inspire you. You have to work at it. Just play and play and listen to what you've played. If you don't listen to yourself you'll never get anywhere. Don't just wait for a melody to come into your head. Start humming. Go find inspiration, don't whine and wait for it to come.

Aye, good luck.
"Inspiration" = "in the spirit". Out of the spirit = "dispirited". There's nothing
really anyone can do for you about this. You really have to look inside yourself and
figure out why, because you don't HAVE to be that way. People might recommend
a new pedal or equipment, but that's a poor solution because it doesn't address
the real problem.

Lack of motivation is different. If you can only follow through with learning something
for a couple of days, that's mostly just lazy. Even if you are "dispirited", you can be
motivated to become "in-spirited". I think there's a lot to be said for the "fake it,
til you make it" approach. If I'm not feeling particularly inspired on any given day,
I'll zero in on some problem I'm having and try and figure it out, or I'll just work
on something to see if I can improve it. The main thing is to just enjoy the process
and not feel like you HAVE to get a result NOW. This will not only help you to play
better, but it will reduce the number and frequency of "dispirited" days....
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
Hello again, my friends, who've gotten to know me so well (actually probably not, but eh...) I seem to be lacking inspiration lately. I don't know. I can sweep well, tap...You know, a step above basic music theory (maybe not quite intermediate yet), you know. My technique's good. It's not a feeling of boredom, or thinking I'm good, even. It's quite the opposite. I feel I'm not good enough. I've been playing for 3 years now, have just started writing my own **** (a one minute intro/riff thing). Maybe it's a slight case of inferiority complex. I dunno, it's a little hard to explain. I seem to be lacking discipline, also. I want to learn so many things, but then I practice it for maybe 2 days, then I stop.

Short version= lacking inspiration/discipline. Low self-worth. Help to get those back in order?

I figured this was the right place, so tell me if it's not, etc. etc...
Thanks for any/all advice, of course

It sounds like the issue could be that your focusing too much on "how good you aren't", or "how good you should be". I always found that kind of thinking to be un-motivating.

My advice would be to stop worrying about it. Pick up the guitar and play it because its something you enjoy doing. Worrying about how "good" you are is just a distraction from what you should be doing....... making music and enjoying the process.
Try joining some jam projects with styles you haven't tried before; try some experimental leads in them, & if that doesn't work, try getting a small four track & mess around with recording
Man... Signatures are hard to come up with!
Yeah...I really need to jam with people, but the nearest (decent) guitarist lives 45 minutes away

Eh, guess I'll be getting a recorder. Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll push it with the theory with my teacher, and just dick around more. I find I'm just afraid what I play isn't gonna be good, so I just don't do it. I dunno how to get around that, but I'll find a way eventually eh?

My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Don't write something just for the sake of writing. Write because you have something to write about and you need to write it.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian