Who on UG is a fan of the great author H.P. Lovecraft (if anyone reads anything other than this board, that is)? He wrote some of the best horror novels/short stories ever, in my opinion. I also heard that Guillermo del Toro is going to be making a movie out of At the Mountains of Madness, due out in 2010 (though I'm sure The Hobbit's production well push it back).

Well, if you like him, talk about him here.

*waits for thread to fail*
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Lovecraft is cool. Del Toro is the guy that made Pan's labyrinth and hellboy right?
two and a half men.
Do you like him because Metallica wrote some songs based on his stuff?

Besides, ' Mountains isn't that great. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward on the other hand...
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
No, I don't like him due to Metallica's songs. And yes, del Toro is that guy you're thinking of.

Mountains, I thought, had great atmosphere. I noticed like half way through it that AvP stole SO MUCH from it . I think In The Vault is good, too. I read a lot through this site called dagonbytes, which has most of his short stories.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Cameronrobson
Lovecraft is cool. Del Toro is the guy that made Pan's labyrinth and hellboy right?

yes, i'm pretty sure.

aside from that, i really enjoy his work. his stories can sometimes drag on, but at the same time, it really helps you get a mental picture of it which is just awesome. he's definitely one of my faves
...why?
Quote by Chris_Parker
No, I don't like him due to Metallica's songs. And yes, del Toro is that guy you're thinking of.

Mountains, I thought, had great atmosphere. I noticed like half way through it that AvP stole SO MUCH from it . I think In The Vault is good, too. I read a lot through this site called dagonbytes, which has most of his short stories.

I dunno. It was good I guess, but not what I expected it to be. I just didn't find it that exciting.

So where is your favourite setting? eg. new England, Egypt, space etc.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Lovecraft is right up there with Poe
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
I have always been interested into reading his stuff, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I want to read some of the Cthulu Mythos stuff. What can you recommend?
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
The Shadow Over Innsmouth is in the mythos (they worship Dagon).

For other works, try The Thing on the Doorstep and In the Vault (the latter being one of the first works to feature a zombie attack!).

EDIT:

My view is Lovecraft > Poe (but barely)

I don't know, I think Lovecraft had atmosphere down, but Poe also had some creepy stuff in his own right. But then again, Poe was Lovecraft's biggest (if not only) influence in writing.

Somewhat relevant: has anyone heard of Lovecraft Live (or something like that)? I saw it when I googled Lovecraft games because I wanted to find that Call of Cthulu game (a loosely tied friend of mine worked on the art), and it turns out there's a whole LARP thing based on his works!

The sets and stuff look pretty cool, but that really isn't my thing...
Quote by Pauldapro
Last edited by Chris_Parker at May 20, 2008,
Quote by holden93
I have always been interested into reading his stuff, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I want to read some of the Cthulu Mythos stuff. What can you recommend?

I'd start with a compilation book. Theres plenty out there that are just a a bunch of his stories with decent forewords/introductions by the editor/compiler.

Don't start with any of the ancient gods/space/dream stuff. Start humble and with the stuff that he's set in New England. Eg. The Hound,Whisperer in Darkness, The Festival, Loved Dead, Two Black Bottles, Case of Charles Dexter Ward (my favourite, I doubt many would agree with me though) Call of Cthulu and Mountains of Madness.

Start with that sort of story.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Love him. The Mythos stuff is great, and really ties his writing all together, but he has other great stuff as well. The Outsider and The Music of Erich Zann are two fantastic short stories with beyond simple plots and loads of atmosphere. I am just starting to read his works myself. Are there another other authors anyone could reccomend similiar to Lovecraft? Aside from Poe and King, of course
Haven't ever been able to find any of his stuff.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Besides being blatantly racist and using the word 'queer' way, waaay too much, he's a pretty alright writer.
Quote by 0RI0N
Haven't ever been able to find any of his stuff.

Go to the library. This site also has the complete works of Lovecraft.

HP Lovecraft kicks ass (though his racism bothers me). My favorite story is The Rats in the Walls. And I love Pan's Labyrinth, so hearing that news about At the Mountains of Madness is awesome.

This thread could also use this:
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
I really like a lot of his concepts and storylines, I really dislike his writing style, his dialog especially is horrendous.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I really like a lot of his concepts and storylines, I really dislike his writing style, his dialog especially is horrendous.

Yeah, I agree. And so does Stephen King, because he put Lovecraft in his examples of bad dialogue is some guide to writing that he wrote.
Drink wine and screw"

C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

Guillermo del Toro doing Lovecraft? I do believe I just orgasmed.

Lovecraft owns. All his stories are awesome.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors!!!
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
All I've read of his stuff is Call of Cthulu, and I loved it. I haven't found full text versions of anything else of his online, though. At least not yet.
Quote by synpet713192
All I've read of his stuff is Call of Cthulu, and I loved it. I haven't found full text versions of anything else of his online, though. At least not yet.

Look at the link I posted earlier.
Drink wine and screw"

C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

Lovecraft has to be my second favourite author, first being Arthur C. Doyle. Rats in the Walls would have to be my favourite of all his stories that I've read so far closely fallowed by Pickman's Model.