Hello everyone, I am a bass player, and I want to give the 'ole six string a whirl.

Here is some information about what I am looking for.

Budget: <$300

Style: Varied with a focus on a fat, jazzy tone. Soloability is also wanted.

Brand/guitar preference: I like PRS, G&L, and Gibson, and I absolutely despise SX. I do not want a Strat style guitar, but an LP style shape would be nice. I have already looked at epiphone and LTD for a fallback if i cannot make a better decision.

Current Gear: I am entirely set with amps, that will not be an issue at all. I own a russian muff, and a few bass effects pedals.

Other: One thing that is very important is the quality of the neck. I do not have a specific preference as to how it is cut, but it MUST be comfortable in use.

Try b4 buy: I have already looked around the area for guitars, and I have tried a TON, but all of them were not suited to my needs. Keep this in mind, as I will NOT be able to try before I buy the guitar.

I hope this is enough information, and I will gladly answer any questions. Any and all suggestions would be apreciated.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
good luck getting a gibson, g&l, and prs for under 300

but if you want an lp style guitar that some claim rivals gibson check out rondomusic.com and their agile lps.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651413
by the way, this is the same company who carries sx guitars, but the difference in quality/value between agile is comparable to with squire to fender.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
Im not really sure for your style. I do more rock/emo music. For about a year I started with a crappy squire. Then i got a Washburn and about 5 years later it is still in good condition and works well. It was only $150. But your preferences and your budget completely dont mix. For a decent Gibson try to get more like a $1,500 - $2,500 Budget.
Quote by impeachpedro10
good luck getting a gibson, g&l, and prs for under 300

but if you want an lp style guitar that some claim rivals gibson check out rondomusic.com and their agile lps.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651413
by the way, this is the same company who carries sx guitars, but the difference in quality/value between agile is comparable to with squire to fender.

I am not the biggest fan of Rondomusic, I have heard that the electronics are absolutely horrendous. Another concern is that all of the LPs on rondo have that crunch that I think would throw off the jazzy tone.

Quote by Shawnzy
Im not really sure for your style. I do more rock/emo music. For about a year I started with a crappy squire. Then i got a Washburn and about 5 years later it is still in good condition and works well. It was only $150. But your preferences and your budget completely dont mix. For a decent Gibson try to get more like a $1,500 - $2,500 Budget.

I know that all of the brands I listed are high end brands, I just threw those in to show the stylings of the guitars I liked. I like G&L necks, Gibson bodies, and PRS tone. They are just to give an idea of what I like in a guitar.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at May 20, 2008,
Hagstrom Swede, I have one.
Seriously, they are teh pwnzzorzz.
Cheap too, with a beautiful LP style body.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
Check out some Ibanez Artcores or other hollow/semihollowbodies. They should have the tone you want and be roughly in your budget. You might like the hollowbody sound, although they do tend to have some fat necks.

Does anybody know if they still make those Oscar Schmidt hollowbodies that ran for 200USD. A buddy of mine has one and swears by it. I can't find them on Musicians Friend, but if they're still out there, check 'em out.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
if you like gibson, I would suggest an epiphone g-400
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Washburn WI64.

Best and most versatile guitar in the game =]
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-PS1-Xtone-Paramount-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=516673

That looks like it would be really good for jazzy stuff. like the guys above said you'll get more of jazzy tone from a semi-hollow and this one has a lp kind of shape. my friend has the higher end model of this one and it's really nice. he plays blues type stuff but with the right amp it would easily do jazz no problem.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
if you like gibson try a melody maker i think there 800$$. which is out of your price range. cheapest gibson that sounds really good.
for that price range look at some washburns i really like them for the $$
Last edited by nath1142 at May 20, 2008,
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Of those, I'd vote for the Hagstrom. Mahogany gives a nice dark tone, and Hagstroms tend to be well built compared to Epiphones. I personally don't think SG's are worth investing in unless you're going for a Gibson Standard or above. I have no experience with OLP, but I don't think that's quite what you want.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Of those, I'd vote for the Hagstrom. Mahogany gives a nice dark tone, and Hagstroms tend to be well built compared to Epiphones. I personally don't think SG's are worth investing in unless you're going for a Gibson Standard or above. I have no experience with OLP, but I don't think that's quite what you want.

What is particularly wrong with the sg?

How is the OLP not what I want?

Please note that I am willing to change pickups over time if they do not fit my needs.

EDIT:
Oh, and

I wish I could afford that.....
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
I am heavily considering a SG or Hagstorm. One thing I wish to know is that although Hagstorms seem to be heavily focused on jazz, are they versatile? I want to re-stress that variety is very important. Does the SG have more variety of tone than the hagstorm or the other way around?

EDIT: Although I mentioned a dislike of strats, are the hagstorm strats any good?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at May 21, 2008,
bump

How about some flying Vs?

Now, I know that a lot of the guitars I am mentioning are not specifically jazz specific. Remember, I want variance with a jazz focus.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at May 21, 2008,
i dont know if you want a humbucking guitar or not i didnt really pay attention to your post haha sorry but schecter and ibanez have nic eones cheap. try the schecter omen (actually if you replaced the pickups in that guitar with the EMG 81 and 85 id say its good for stage performance...but the pickups in there are good now and the neck is nice). ibanez has soem alright RG series ones as well
+1 on the Hagstrom. When you said you're looking for a jazzy guitar with an LP shape, I thought you should look no further. Then you mentioned a comfortable neck, and I figured you'd definitely love a Hag.

The neck is really awesome. It's quite thin, but not skinny. The fretboard is really phenomenal. Very solo-able.

As for tone, you can probably find a Hagstrom that matches what you want. Their hollowbodies, as you've noticed, are beautiful, and their solidbodies like the Swede and Superswede are different, but also great. They even have a semi-hollowbody which gets great reviews, and might be right up your alley.

As for versatility, it depends what you're looking for. I have a Swede, which is all-mahogany and is quite dark. It's also a double-humbucker design. It's versatile to a point, but might not be what you're looking for. The Superswede has a Fender-length scale, maple top, and a coil tap, so you're looking at a lot more versatility there. And some of their other models have different woods and pickups that will take you other places.

And for what it's worth, Hagstrom are famous for their bass pickups, so you'd be going with a guitar company that is well respected among the four-string community.

--- D
Quote by Duster
+1 on the Hagstrom. When you said you're looking for a jazzy guitar with an LP shape, I thought you should look no further. Then you mentioned a comfortable neck, and I figured you'd definitely love a Hag.

The neck is really awesome. It's quite thin, but not skinny. The fretboard is really phenomenal. Very solo-able.

As for tone, you can probably find a Hagstrom that matches what you want. Their hollowbodies, as you've noticed, are beautiful, and their solidbodies like the Swede and Superswede are different, but also great. They even have a semi-hollowbody which gets great reviews, and might be right up your alley.

As for versatility, it depends what you're looking for. I have a Swede, which is all-mahogany and is quite dark. It's also a double-humbucker design. It's versatile to a point, but might not be what you're looking for. The Superswede has a Fender-length scale, maple top, and a coil tap, so you're looking at a lot more versatility there. And some of their other models have different woods and pickups that will take you other places.

And for what it's worth, Hagstrom are famous for their bass pickups, so you'd be going with a guitar company that is well respected among the four-string community.

--- D

Wow, that helps out a ton. Now I have another question. Lets say I want to stick with a haggy, how do their F series (the strat-ish shape) rank up compared to their LP shape?
http://www.hagstromguitars.com/f200.html
Also, out of the haggys, I can only afford the F series or the deluxe, I cannot afford any of the swedes or the deluxe F.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
look at the ibanez artist series. they start around 400 bucks very nice fit and finish, mahogany body and set mahogany neck. the pups are creamy but lack any real punch. to me, the neck is the best part very comfortable even for a meat fisted bass player such as myself
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by kranoscorp
Wow, that helps out a ton. Now I have another question. Lets say I want to stick with a haggy, how do their F series (the strat-ish shape) rank up compared to their LP shape?
Also, out of the haggys, I can only afford the F series or the deluxe, I cannot afford any of the swedes or the deluxe F.

I don't know too much about the F-series, so I can't tell you much. I like the way they look and since I've become a fan of Hagstrom, I would definitely get one if I was looking for that type of guitar. I would say that they compare more with a Gibson SG type of guitar over a strat, since they are humbucker guitars. And the scale length is also Gibson-length. I think there are reviews of those models on here somewhere, and they're pretty positive.

--- D
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=ART100
Honestly, I'm not an Ibanez fan at all, but I played one of these at a local shop and was pretty impressed. A set-neck singlecut with decent pickups and a nice neck for $300.
It is sadly the only Ibanez I have ever not hated. It has a much rounder neck than your average Ibanez.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by Duster
I don't know too much about the F-series, so I can't tell you much. I like the way they look and since I've become a fan of Hagstrom, I would definitely get one if I was looking for that type of guitar. I would say that they compare more with a Gibson SG type of guitar over a strat, since they are humbucker guitars. And the scale length is also Gibson-length. I think there are reviews of those models on here somewhere, and they're pretty positive.

--- D

The F series includes the f20/f200

the F200P
http://www.hagstromguitars.com/f200p.html

and the F300
http://www.hagstromguitars.com/f300.html
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Ok, Ive given it a lot of thought, so here are my choices.

http://www.music123.com/Hagstrom-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-513343-i1148100.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-512573-i1172566.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-G-400-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar--No-Pickguard--512588-i1322999.Music123

Disregard everything I have said in my earlier posts, I am just looking for the best quality and most variable guitar out of the choices. Assume they all cost the same, I have various sources that can provide all for 300.

OR

I could wait two weeks and get this, I have already tried it out and loved it. For me, it is the type of guitar you play for hours without realizing it.
http://www.music123.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-Custom-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar-514461-i1368390.Music123

A friend of mine thinks that I should not wait, that I should get a lower quality guitar as my first six string to work my chops up and then jump into mid range, while my parents think I should get a good quality guitar that will last me a while.

Thoughts? Tell me which guitar is the best out of the three given purely on quality and variability, and whether or not I should wait for guitar based upon ability to learn and develop as a musician.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
If you're talking about waiting two weeks versus buying tomorrow... wait the two weeks.
If you're talking about waiting six months to buy anything versus buying something tomorrow... buy tomorrow.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by truespin
If you're talking about waiting two weeks versus buying tomorrow... wait the two weeks.
If you're talking about waiting six months to buy anything versus buying something tomorrow... buy tomorrow.

Yes, but would it be better to sharpen my teath on a low end guitar or jump straight into a mid-range?

Still no reccomendations on the three mentioned.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Yes, but would it be better to sharpen my teath on a low end guitar or jump straight into a mid-range?

If I were you, I would go ahead and get the best guitar you can afford right now. For $300, you can get a decent guitar. The Hagstrom is by no means a low end guitar, and neither is the Epiphone, for that matter. They may not be professional-level gear (although some Hagstrom enthusiasts will disagree), but when are you going to become a professional? Low-end guitars that aren't worth buying are the ones that you see in Walmarts and other department stores. Once you're into something like an Epiphone, Hagstrom, or even a Squier, you are into a very playable guitar. There are many people who play guitar their whole lives and never play more than a $300-$400 guitar. And that's even more true now that there are great instruments coming out of Asia at that price point. If you picked up a Hagstrom, for example, you would do more than just sharpen your teeth. You can become quite a proficient player on an instrument like that. And when you've become proficient, you won't see it as such a stretch to spend $500-$1000 (or more) on another instrument. But the Hag will have you playing for at least the next few years.

Just my opinion.

--- D

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention... you should be able to find more expensive Hagstroms with a "blemish", which could be just a small scratch or an area of imperfect finish, on the internet for around $300. Like maybe a Swede or Super?
Last edited by Duster at May 23, 2008,
Quote by kranoscorp

Well, if there is no risk of you not wanting to continue to play then go for the midrange. Beginner guitars are that because its kind of a testing ground to see if playing guitar is something you really want to do without spending $3000 on gear.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Get a HAGSTROM super swede.
Guitars
------------------

Epiphone SG w/seymour duncan JB's

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE