Hi guys, im new to the forum and don't know if this is the right place for this thread or not.

But anyway here's my problem. When i'm playing guitar, whether it be scales, chords, arps. anything. my 3rd (ring finger) and 4th (pinky) finger feel uncontrolled and unresponsive. compared to my 1st (pointer) and 2nd (middle). I have been doing extra work specifically on these fingers to try and train the muscles so i have more control over them, but progress has been painfully slow. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?, and if so what did you do to work/build the muscles in those two fingers?.

Help on this is extremely appreciated.
yep, I"m convinced the pinky is retarded. You just have to train it how to do ****. I still have trouble going fingers # 1 3 4 really fast, just cause it doesn't feel natural.

I would say just run up the neck and down the neck using the 3 and 4 as much as possible, practice practice, that's pretty much how it goes sorry. I just use like 134, on every string, then move up a whole step, and do it again, up and down, until I feel a little more comfortable, it's not a scale or anything, just finger excersizes.

I posted on a thread about this kinda think a little while ago as well, search like finger excersizes in the search bar or something.

Good luck
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
do trills between the 3rd and 4th finger. It'll really build up the muscle and dexterity.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
You could also try buying a Gripmaster. I bought about a year ago and it helped me significantly with building up pinky and ring finger strength quickly. I bought the blue one and it worked great. Its only like $20 dollars too.
Quote by ValoRhoads
Oh yeah, and fitting a cab into a Chevy Cavalier damn near requires calculus
play this over and over and over and over again on any string

mick"mars" the guitarist for the band motley crue is my 2nd cousin
he taught me that and said to start slow then try to play it faster and faster
trust me man it works

-0-3-4-0-1-3-4-0-2-3-4-0-3-0-3-4-0-4-0-4-0-
Last edited by gibson7192 at May 21, 2008,
Quote by ThatsAgood1jay
Hi guys, im new to the forum and don't know if this is the right place for this thread or not.

But anyway here's my problem. When i'm playing guitar, whether it be scales, chords, arps. anything. my 3rd (ring finger) and 4th (pinky) finger feel uncontrolled and unresponsive. compared to my 1st (pointer) and 2nd (middle). I have been doing extra work specifically on these fingers to try and train the muscles so i have more control over them, but progress has been painfully slow. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?, and if so what did you do to work/build the muscles in those two fingers?.

Help on this is extremely appreciated.

thats a fairly common issue. It really just comes down to using them. Whether its an exercise as suggested above, or a song/riff/solo/lick that requires their use..... the more you use those fingers the better you will get with them, plain & simple.

It does take time.

I wouldn't recommend the hand gripper thing though.
It's really more a gimmick then anything.
In my experience, I've found that the best way to get better at the guitar is to play the guitar.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 21, 2008,