Currently, I have a Samson Q7, which I actually really like, that I use for recording my amp. I've been thinking of adding a condenser mic lately just to add a bit to the sound quality. I'm recording with a TonePort UX2 into Cubase SX3.

First of all, I believe if you plug two things into the UX2 it records it as one track, so I'd have to get it just perfect before I record? Am I wrong?

Secondly, I got an email from MF saying they're having another one of their "sales" on mics, but it got me thinking, why not take a look? So, I was wondering what you all thought of these certain mics and what would be the best value? I would be recording vocals as well as guitars.

MXL V63M
MXL 990
MXL 990s
MXL 992
MXL CUBE
MXL 990/993

Or... I could go with a CAD Pro-4 set and be able to record drums (which I have a really crappy first act set right anyway, but this would also require me to get a different interface or a mixer.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
For the UX2, try the manual. I believe it does separate the inputs...try adjusting the Gearbox settings.

And why not another Samson microphone? I have a CO1, their intro model, and it's very warm for a $70 microphone. They have ridiculously versatile ones for a low price...look into the CL8 for instance (omni, figure 8, cardoid). Here's a review on the CL7, the cardoid-only model which is only $50 cheaper. The CO3's not a bad choice either if money's an issue. They can handle guitar amps/high noise levels, thanks to their pad switches.

This review of multiple condensers also is a worthwhile look into other brand microphones.

And don't forget getting a pop filter.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 21, 2008,
The toneports are USB 1.1 connection. (excluding the UX8) and tend to mix any more than 2 mono tracks like most USB interfaces.

You should be able to send a stereo mix out of Gearbox and record each mic on its own mono track in your recording program.

MF sends out emails saying there's sales all the time but I find only a few of the products are actually on sale..most just are linked to but are not marked off much.
Dont skimp on mics, they are another important part of the chain.

I have heard bad reviews on the CAD drum mic set so I would tend to save money instead of dealing with low quality/cost mics. A proper mic set for drums should cost at least $500 IMO...and even thats low...
Last edited by moody07747 at May 21, 2008,
I'll check into the Samson ones, I'd actually never thought of them before, eventhough I have one! Just konw a lot of people with MXL condensers and they seem to be the only decent ones I've seen that you don't have to spend $300 or more on.

Quote by moody07747
The toneports are USB 1.1 connection. (excluding the UX8) and tend to mix any more than 2 mono tracks like most USB interfaces.

You should be able to send a stereo mix out of Gearbox and record each mic on its own mono track in your recording program.

MF sends out emails saying there's sales all the time but I find only a few of the products are actually on sale..most just are linked to but are not marked off much.
Dont skimp on mics, they are another important part of the chain.

I have heard bad reviews on the CAD drum mic set so I would tend to save money instead of dealing with low quality/cost mics. A proper mic set for drums should cost at least $500 IMO...and even thats low...

Cool thanks for the heads up, I've only ever used the UX2 with one mic so I wouldn't know what it's capable of with more than one.

I know the sale wasn't a real sale, it's kinda like Guitar Center's "sales" every weekend, where everything is "60% off retail!" or something like that, when that just means it's normal price

I don't need anything great sounding, just a little home recording studio so I can keep track of my songs and be able to see my progress in playing, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I can vouch for the V63 and the 990's. For the price you pay they are good. Just remember you can spend alot on mics if you want to. If you're wanting "that" sound you may want to consider saving up for a higher end condenser.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Yeah, my friend used to have a 990/991 combo that sounded pretty good when he used it, I don't think we ever tried it on an amp though, or a least a good amp haha.

I think I might just go with this combo: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MXL-990991-and-Audio-Buddy-Package?sku=703626 since I get an interface with it as well, which I don't necessarily need, but it may be easier to get a good sound out of it micing than with my TonePort.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com