Hey UG, I need a little bit of advice. I need a new amp.

What I want:

I want a good, quality amp, either combo or half-stack, with good sound quality, for $500 or less. The only effetcs/EQ it has to have are: bass, middle, treble, gain, reverb.

One of the things I'm concerned about is volume. I play in my bedroom. I'm a newb when it comes to amps, so help me out with this: if I get something like a 50 watt amp, it will probably already be too loud for the bedroom at about level 2, right? If that's the case, I don't want a high-wattage amp. I won't ever need it outside of my bedroom.

I don't care whether or not it's a tube amp, I just want good sound quality. I've heard a lot of bad things about Marshall MGs and line 6 Spider amps.

My playing:

I've been playing for 2 years. I play classic rock, 80s rock, and metal. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul, a Zoom GFX707 effects pedal and a Boss DS1 distortion pedal, and my current amp, an old Randall RG-15.

help me out please! Point me in the right direction and give me some good options, and I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Something like a low wattage tube amp would be good. Look at the new Blackheart amps and the Crate V series amps. They won't necesarily do metal but they will do everything else well. You can't really get metal at a low wattage with tube amps so I guess it depends on what you are most willing to sacrifice. Maybe try for a used Laney AOR 30 combo.
peavey valveking?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Peavey Valve King 112
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Behringer V-Tone GMX212

The first three would be great choices, especially the Peavey. The behringer might sound scetchy, but give it a chance i have been using that amp for almost 3 years now for my house, and as a back up for gigs, it has some good tones, and is loud or soft w/e you need. let me know how you come out
Well, I personally use a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt... great for everything from practice to gigging. If you are planning on gigging at SOME point in time I would go ahead and buy it... it's not THAT loud on low volumes. Plus it has a channel vol control, so you can make it even quiter. It drops out below about two though... lol. Great effects, too.
If you're a Marshall fan, the "crunch" channel is just what it sounds like: crunch. Don't expect wonders from it; it's not THAT crunchy but still sounds pretty good (very Marshall-like; but I'm a big fan of distortion and don't use it for much besides rhythm; too little sustain). Also, since it is a modeling amp, you will have to tweak your effects chain some (if you use one that is). Effects such as distortion or wah tend to get muddy during processing. Although, I don't use distortion that much myself on high gain; the distortion on the amp sounds great... If your sound isn't heavy enough, try using a guitar w/ hotter pickups.
^Thanks for the fast reply!

I just talked to my friend's brother, and he says that MGs aren't that bad. He showed me this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG30DFX-Combo-?sku=483188

But what's looking really good right now is the Crate V-series you mentioned:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055
It's a tube amp with good reviews, it has all the EQ/effetcs I need, it's relatively low-wattage, and it's a good price.

EDIT: Wow, thanks a lot for all the fast replies! I'll check all of these out and post a narrowed-down list tomorrow.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by zoso59
I'm a HUGE Marshall fan btw...
i LOOOOOOVE Marshall...

That was constructive.....

I'd stear clear of the mg. The v-series will sound 10times more marshally than the "marshall" mg
Peavey Classic 30

It is an all-tube amp, and it definitely has some soul to it. You should be able to find a good used one for $300-$400 on Ebay or Craigslist. I picked up mine used for $325 and I find the tone to be really impressive. I have the combo version and it seems to have lots of versatility when it comes to soft of loud. If I turn down my post gain, I can play without making the neighbors too mad. On the other hand, I don't think I would have any problem outplaying a drum kit. When I hooked my buddie's 30watt up to a bigger cab, it really made our hairs tingle.

Listen to some clips on YouTube to get an idea of what they sound like.

Most importantly, go and plug into ANY amp you may be interested in BEFORE you buy it.
I'd go for a 5 watt tube amp like the Palomino, Crate V series, Blackheart, Epiphone Valve Jr, etc. Those are relatively cheap, and if you get one, it'll leave you plenty of money for an OD pedal for metal and probably a good reverb pedal.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i bought a solid state amp and i returned it.

trust me dude get tubes and ignore mg's and line 6 spiders!

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

GET THE FENDER SUPER CHAMP XD I OWN ONE. CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL RIGHT NOW.

On a serious note, it's only 3 or 400 bucks and it's a tube amp. 15 watts, can play bedroom volumes and small to medium gig volumes when you want it. Has line out for direct recording and built-in FX. Hybrid amp. The best one around I know of.

Matter of fact some guy on here requested I do a video demo of it. I will gladly play you some classic rock, blues, and some metal on here. Don't forget you can always change the speaker if it's not good enough for you. Which I plan to do.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Last edited by Leat at May 20, 2008,