Im asking for a harmonica for my birthday and i was wondering how hard it is to pickup. It cant be to hard to learn right?

Id be mostly interested in playing folky stuff like bob dylan and blues stuff like zeppelin, muddy waters etr....

And how much does a decent harmonica go for?
Easy.

A month or two ago I randomly bought a harmonica for around $12 (most of them are about that price, but you can pay more if you want top quality) and I was playing well with all the basic techniques down by that evening. The thing that makes harmonicas so easy is the fact that it's basically impossible to play a wrong note.
kill all humans
It isn't hard to learn, just see how the "tuning" of your harmonica is (in most cases is in C mayor I think), and then revolve around that...

The hard thing is to practise, with bends for instance.
Whenever I try, it sucks, and I tried too much

Same with other over complicated techniques (like the ones that require you to bend your tongue, position your hands in a determined way, and let air be release in little bursts, etc)
To the best of my knowledge not too bad. I've been playing for a weekish and it's of an acceptable level of difficulty. Bending notes is a tough technique to pick up but other than that it's a fairly straightforward interface. Also, you can get a decent one for $20-$35.
Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and sometimes Neil Young have very sloppy technique to harmonica so be advised... Its like wanting to play guitar and only learning from Jimmy Page, youll sound good but youll be sloppy as hell...

If you plan on playing with a band, im pretty sure you cant play in the same key as everyone else, i believe the 7th messes you up. For example if the band is playing in G you might have to buy a harmonica in a different key. I took a lesson when i was younger, geez 4 years ago and cant remember the key you had to go to.

What i would do, to practice is, if you have a beginner guitar book, try some songs out from that like snake charmer or fare-ra-shacka. Thats just to get your chops.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
took me about a week to learn the harp. costed me 5 dollars and it was fun for a while but then every one of my musical friends bought/found harmonicas and some learned it well and others not so much... it just turned into an anoying thing that wasn't original nor unique. learn if you wish but if you do not want to get sick of it, don't tell or play for anyone.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
And a guy you should check out, is Keb' Mo'

If you check him out on youtube, im pretty sure you can get him playing harmonica, or at least someone playing with him. Ive seen him live and man can that man blow a harp.

Oh and The Blues Brothers... Best harp playing ive ever heard...
Quote by Phishead42
And a guy you should check out, is Keb' Mo'

If you check him out on youtube, im pretty sure you can get him playing harmonica, or at least someone playing with him. Ive seen him live and man can that man blow a harp.

Oh and The Blues Brothers... Best harp playing ive ever heard...

Sounds sexy.
Harmonica pr0n?
kill all humans
play blues traveler pretty amazing harp playing in my opinion
GRUNDY0!

Quote by JeanMi36
I bet some stoners in the pokeman world are smoking Oddish.

Quote by doggy_hat
I mean seriously. You could buy a half ounce of coke, and two good hookers for the price of becoming a level 50 elf warrior.
i have like a 50$ harmonica, and ive always wanted to learn to play it, but ive never had the time to learn cuz im playing my guitar, lol
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Sounds sexy.
Harmonica pr0n?

I was hopeing someone picked up on that lol
But thats what the "oldies" call it
Quote by Phishead42
I was hopeing someone picked up on that lol
But thats what the "oldies" call it

"Oldies?" Senior citizen harmonica pr0n?
kill all humans
thats the best kind <.< >.>
I think this is going a little too far.

(so thats a maybe)
I want to do this too because my friend and I are trying to start a bluegrass/folk band with me on guitar and him on upright bass and idk what we'll do for solos cuz I can't solo or it will sound way empty and terrible and he can't solo 'cuz he is playing a bass (I know we both COULD but they support would usffer a lot) so I was thinking a harp could solve this.

Tied for my favorite music is blues too, so harp is just logical.
i would just like to point out that bob dylan is a miserable harmonica player.

On topic, about a month after i bought a harmonica, i was able to jam along with my friend on guitar and actually sound decent.
Quote by slidething31
i would just like to point out that bob dylan is a miserable harmonica player.

On topic, about a month after i bought a harmonica, i was able to jam along with my friend on guitar and actually sound decent.

I obviously dont know about the theory of harmonica and what not but i think this dylan harmonica solo sounds cool as ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nHsmIN2tQ
I was thinking about getting a harmonica, but I'm confused about all the different keys. What's the best key to get?
depends on if you're playing blues or not. If you're playing blues, then you'll probably want a D or a n A, because D plays blues in the key of A, and A plays blues in the key of E.

if you're just playing straight harp, like dylan and stuff, then it's just whatever key you're in, like G or C.