I'm torn between an Ibanez Prestige RG (most likely the 2550Z) or a custom DC by Carvin.

Ibanez has the looks at a set price, the ZR bridge, and where I'm getting it from a professional setup and fine tuner.

The Carvin has many more finish options and tone options but I'm not familiar on what their stock pickups are like, and I'm looking for a smooth, creamy sound with a defined bottom end and singing highs, but clear distortion (general and wanted by many, yes?). I suppose I can build the Carvin a little cheaper to afford DiMarzio pickups I had in mind, but how are the stock Ibanez IBZ DiMarzio designed pickups anyway?

I've also never played a Carvin neck before so I don't know what to expect. But I am kind of looking for something I can really play with what I consider small hands.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
Carvin necks are generally small and fast compared to most other guitars out there, I have huge hands but I would say they're great for people with small hands. Then again, so are Ibanez necks generally speaking so you can't really go wrong with either of those.

I'd go for the Carvin personally, I don't think either of them come with terribly great pickups and I would probably swap them out on either one so leaving the playability (which IMO are actually pretty similar) I'd give the nod to the Carvin DC.
Everyone who has ever played my Carvin has become incredibly jealous.

And they're cheap if you order online. My $800 Carvin has the same (likely better) quality as a $2000 Gibson, Fender, or Ibanez.
Ibanez pickups are very bright and cutting. You'll want to replace them as soon as possible for the tone you described, whereas you could live with Carvin p/ups a while.
In general, I'd say Carvin.
Carvin's pickups are rather interesting. Quite good for shred, blues, and cleans, although they don't really excell in anything. IMO, if you have a guitar over $1,500 you should buy the best stuff you can for it. Nothing short of handwired, handmade pickups will do IMO, the quality is just going to be on a new level in comparsion to even the best production pickups.

I really love my carvin 7 string, which I chose over the Ibanez UV-777 for the ability to build it the way i want. Not to mention the neck is like smaller than shecter but bigger than ibanez for that perfect feel that is comfortable yet fast as hell. They give you enough options on woods to make the body sound warm and fat with a neck that is bright and twangy for a large tonal spectrum...or a specified tone that you wish.

IMO, for the precision carvin builds their instruments, TO YOUR SPECS, you can't beat em for the price. I play Suhr, PRS, and G&L weekly at my local guitar store, none feel quite as solid and nice as my carvin.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I just sold my Ibanez and bought a dc127 if that helps. (It won't though because my ibanez was a cheap POS)
Ibanez are great, but you really have to try before you buy because they're limited for body woods, electronics, and the such. I love them, but for what you're looking for, Carvin seems a much better idea, because you can choose damn near everything you want on a guitar for the price.
Carvin all the way dude.

My friend's dad has a CT6 in Dragonburst. I've only played it once, but it is an AMAZING guitar. I'm sure the DC series is great as well. Also, I hear Ibanez stock pickups are horrible.
Quote by FireandFlames
Also, I hear Ibanez stock pickups are horrible.

The 2*** series are quite nice. Some include the real Dimarzio pickups, not the INF or IBZ dimarzios, but the real deal.

Carvin pickups are much either.

Like i said earlier though, if you're buying a guitar that costs that much, really consider dropping some real pickups in it, not the mass produced pickups offered by company's with tons of different types of pickups to get you reasonably close to your desired tone while the smaller companies (bareknuckle, Stephens Designs, Wolfetone etc) will work with you for a more specified tone. It's going to cost you but in the end, it's your tone.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Personally I'd choose Ibanez, but thats because my inexpensive GSA60 feels and plays as good or better than a lot of more expensive, non-Ibanez guitars out there I've tried...
Once a crazy ass fucker, always a crazy ass fucker.
Quote by GeneSmasher
Personally I'd choose Ibanez, but thats because my inexpensive GSA60 feels and plays as good or better than a lot of more expensive, non-Ibanez guitars out there I've tried...

The crazy thing is...their guitars don't get much better.

I have an RG320FM with EMGs, and the Edge Pro. It plays better than every Ibanez at guitar center. Their low end models, if upgraded are amazing shred machines, it doesn't take a $2,000 Ibanez to play like a $2000 Ibanez, but instead a $400 Ibanez with another $350 invested in it.

It's at least equal to the prestige level of quality.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
its all about carvin. Untill you play one you'll never know. Ibanez makes a nice fast guitar, but they cant touch the quality fretwork or playability of a carvin unless you buy a jem. I bought my carvin (sight unseen) and am completely overwhelmed with the quality of it, they rock.

BTW i agree with the pickup comment that guy made, they do alot well but nothing superb. Then again no guitar I have (5 of them) came with satisfactory pups for me.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by MESAexplorer
Carvin's pickups are rather interesting. Quite good for shred, blues, and cleans, although they don't really excell in anything.
I get abgreat distortion sound, though I have a nice amp. My cleans are okay but not great, though they've gotten better as I've mess around with different pickup combinations and amp settings.
I just recently got an ibanez art100, I like it alot, the pickups are great.
But I've never played a Carvin, so im not much help. But the majority of the people say its good....

but im just saying-- I like Ibanez alot.
My Guitars:
Ibanez ART100
Fender Squier Bullet
Estiban Acoustic

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
BEATLES FANATIC
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Carvin.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Carvin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ibanez

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
im gassing for the RG2550z in white.
*drool*
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Neither. Used USA Jackson or MIJ ESP is going to be of a bit higher quality if you get a good one than most. Carvin necks and feel vary on how you order them. Play some guitars to figure out the feel you want. I've heard people compare them to Japanese Charvel Model series guitars in overall construction. That means it's pretty damn good, but there are nicer things out there. I would never own an Ibanez after they screwed me over on my RG5EX1, but that's just me. Not a very nice company to deal with.
Carvin all the way

their fingerboard radius is absolutely PERFECT

the Z tremolo that Ibanez uses is amazing, but Carvin will hook you up with an original floyd if you specify it.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Although i love Carvin, the necks are oddly shaped for me and the pups are bad in most of the guitars i have tried. The only ones that are half-decent are the ones with 24 pole pieces.

I, personally, would go with the prestige.

EDIT: I just want to clarify this is just my opinion.
Carvin. Just looked at it. Neck thru>>>>>Bolt on.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Hmm, so it seems like the Jury is saying Carvin at majority. I plan to get the Piezo system upgrade if I go Carvin so that should definitely help with cleans, and the DC model I'm getting already comes with coal splitting switches anyway. I play a lot of genres, so I guess it sounds like the pickups might be good for me.

I'm not sure about an OFR compared to an Edge Zero with the Zero Point system, though...
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
Quote by jigy-i-joe
Carvin. Just looked at it. Neck thru>>>>>Bolt on.

No. Neck Thru is Not Better than Bolt On, There is Very little difference except more resonance in Neck Thru, and the Fact that you dont have to buy a whole new guitar if you snap a bolt on neck.

Go with the Ibanez and maby swap the pickups, its a really great guitar. though you should try it out before you buy
Quote by MESAexplorer
The crazy thing is...their guitars don't get much better.

I have an RG320FM with EMGs, and the Edge Pro. It plays better than every Ibanez at guitar center. Their low end models, if upgraded are amazing shred machines, it doesn't take a $2,000 Ibanez to play like a $2000 Ibanez, but instead a $400 Ibanez with another $350 invested in it.

It's at least equal to the prestige level of quality.

I fully agree with both of you, if you mod a lowend Ibanez with better pickups, a more decent bridge and a better nut most of them will sound very close to or better than their more expensive brethren.
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20
Quote by Tubyboulin
No. Neck Thru is Not Better than Bolt On, There is Very little difference except more resonance in Neck Thru, and the Fact that you dont have to buy a whole new guitar if you snap a bolt on neck.

Go with the Ibanez and maby swap the pickups, its a really great guitar. though you should try it out before you buy

As far as resonance, and sustain, neck through walks all over bolt on. For the adjustability of the guitar though... you can add shim to the neck of a bolt on, while a neck through you can't. This can be advantageous if the action is pretty crappy and you would prefer the neck to come in at a slightly different angle.

That being said, if you adjust the truss rod on a carvin, say about 1/4-1/2 turn clockwise when you get it, it plays better than most guitars you will ever find.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
--------------\
---------------\
----------------\
----Carvin----\ All
----------------/
---------------/
--------------/
-------------/

and jeez why won't UG let me make a big> without the dashes
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Last edited by freebird_17 at May 21, 2008,