Page 1 of 14
Someone18
797 IQ
I couldn't find a thread on him, so if there already is one, please direct me to it and embarrass me blatantly. If not, I guess this could be his thread.

Moving onto other business, what's your favorite instrumental by him? I find Blitzkrieg to be underrated, and I love Far Beyond The Sun.
Sirwinston89
736 IQ
I'd bet theres a thread on him, he's kick-started the 80's shred phenomenon. He's a alright player, but a really cocky bastard. I think Blitzkrieg is alright, I like Evil Eye more though. His covers are pretty sweet too.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Someone18
797 IQ
I really don't buy the whole "He's SOOOO cocky" argument. I've read interviews with him, and his attitude is more of a "confidant" than "cocky".
Luthfx
End of Line.
166 IQ
Opinion:

I think he's a douche, and that he needs to just stop playing so that he can stop gathering tone-deaf followers/groupies.

Although I will say this; Black Star is a kick ****ing ass of a song, it melts my eardrums.
MRavioli: Is Steve Vai still Steve Vai without a massive tremolo backing him up?
Retro Rocker: He could probably think one into existence if he had to.
human panda
knows his enemies.......
105 IQ
Quote by Someone18
I couldn't find a thread on him, so if there already is one, please direct me to it and embarrass me blatantly. If not, I guess this could be his thread.

Moving onto other business, what's your favorite instrumental by him? I find Blitzkrieg to be underrated, and I love Far Beyond The Sun.

Beethovens 5th Symphony and Far Beyond The Sun are probably my favourite, also, I`ve checked through pages and haven`t found any thread on him ( there should`ve been one by now ).It may have been deleted for being too long like the Myspace Pictures Thread, Original You Laugh You Lose Thread, Ban The User Above You Thread ect.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
7even
Hiromi Uehara fanboy
319 IQ
Trilogy Suite and Evil Eye are probably my favourite instrumentals. "Blue" is very good too. Hiroshima mon Armour are probably my all time favourite Yngwie song along with Dreaming(tell me).
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Someone18
Bump.

Bad TS.

I like him though, he gets some really unfair bad press.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Erotomaniac
144 IQ
Quote by Luthfx
Opinion:

I will say this; Black Star is a kick ****ing ass of a song, it melts my eardrums.

+1, this song is awesome
ross1234
UG Newbie
167 IQ
all he does is sit around eating cheesecakes alll day
Sig space available, give me some praise
Someone18
797 IQ
Quote by GoDrex
I think all you need of Yngwie is on the first album. Everything after that is redundant. Great album too if you remove the tracks with vocals. Even those are ok but I can't listen to them.

Yeah, the singer on Rising Force sucked.

Hard.

I did like Joe Turner, though. He was pretty boss.
BlueAltitudes
The Virtuoso's Brother.
491 IQ
I love Yngwie, I just hate it when he goes nuts too much, it gets really repetitive sometimes and it gets a bit boring. Hence, the reason for his enemies.
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Tapping_Ninja
Mad Tapper
566 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Bad TS.

I like him though, he gets some really unfair bad press.

Becuase his fan boys are the worest people ever... They think he's the greatest damn player ever when he hasn't wrote an orignal song in years... He does the same damn stuff over. I mean I think he's a good technical player, but he lacks emotion in his solos.

I mean he's good, but nowhere near the best. He is cocky if ever see a video of him play live he acts like he's the best damn one there. Sadly he's extremely washed up looking now. Just watch G3 live in Denvor, so washed up..
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
blacklightsm2
21 IQ
everyone has an opinion but i think yngwie is definately one of the best AND most emotive players in the genre.

not only did he popularize the movement, but he added his own style and persona to it. i'm more of a fan of his earlier work though. he attracts great singers for the songs with vocals, although the lyrics are sometimes pretty cheesy.

apart from that i enjoy the guitar and his tone, classic fender into cranked marshall sound.
Gravenimage
Machiavelli's Protegé
124 IQ
I can't say for sure what he's like in person, but based on the news that he makes ("Unleash the ****ing fury!" and other drunken favorites) and his self-centered attitude on stage ("One band, one sound"), I think he's a right prick. I've seen him in interviews, and he seems to have an aura that really pushes me away.

Now, musically, I find him to be exceedingly monotonous; I know it's been said before, but it needs saying. I'll admit that he's ONE of the people (later ones, too) to pioneer neoclassical metal (think on Uli Jon Roth and Ritchie Blackmore.. or Hell, even Van Halen in some instances), but that doesn't mean that he did it best. Hypothetically speaking, if he WAS indeed responsible for the movement, he only brought forth an idea and a spark of inspiration through which a great many shredders poured through.

I don't like to senselessly bash anyone, so I'm trying my damnedest to be fair; as such, I'll admit that I enjoyed Black Star and Dark Ages.

Proponents aren't always the cream of the crop.
"Optimism," said Cacambo, "what is that?"
"Alas!" replied Candide, "it is the obstinacy of maintaining that everything is best when it is worst."
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Gravenimage
I can't say for sure what he's like in person, but based on the news that he makes ("Unleash the ****ing fury!" and other drunken favorites) and his self-centered attitude on stage ("One band, one sound"), I think he's a right prick. I've seen him in interviews, and he seems to have an aura that really pushes me away.

I don't know about that; I've seen interviews with him where he makes complete sense to me, in one he said he writes all the music not out of arrogance or some sense of self-importance but because the band is named after him so he should write all the music, he even said (and this is the part I really agree with a lot) that if you name a band after yourself and don't write everything then you're more arrogant than he is.

Edit: I would however agree that the vast ajority of his fans are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 1, 2008,
BoogieManMKD
Bucketbot in disguise
309 IQ
What's wrong with the guy, so what if he is arrogant or rude or whatever he is a great technical musician, I absolutely love his vibrato, I dont really like his strat shtik, but what the heck. The only thing I dont like about him is that sometimes he uses exactly the same licks in different songs, but you cant say that his music is bad.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by BoogieManMKD
What's wrong with the guy, so what if he is arrogant or rude or whatever he is a great technical musician, I absolutely love his vibrato, I dont really like his strat shtik, but what the heck. The only thing I dont like about him is that sometimes he uses exactly the same licks in different songs, but you cant say that his music is bad.

Strat shtick? I dunno what you mean by that but I, for one, love his tone.

Album.
Legion.
Silky Smooth
Lavish linear lickage
184 IQ
His tone on rising force is amazing IMO So smooth and crystal clear where you can hear everything perfectly.

I know when he came over to the U.S for the first time he was pretty cocky, when you are that young and you are that good I don't really blame him for being a little bit cocky. He was bringing something brand new to the table that would inspire just about everyone of the famous players we see in guitar world ect ect. As for him being a total jerk and an asshole I just don't see it. I've see so many photos of him talking with his fans speaking well on interviews and so on. I still think alot of guys were really jealous of his ability which manifests into **** talking.

Anyway some of my favorite playing of his is the Live Alcatrazz stuff. Theres some amazing playing on that and of course rising force, trilogy all the classics! I also love the solos on Now your ships are burned, IMO thats some amazing phrasing taking place for being improvised.

And of course the vibrato
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Now Your Ships are burned is/was improvised? That's some of my favourite playing from him, I'm even more impressed now.

Edit: I agree on the vibrato thing as well, I was just watching an instructional video and his vibrato really is stellar.

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 1, 2008,
Silky Smooth
Lavish linear lickage
184 IQ
Yeah most if all of his playing is improvised

Thats why live nothing ever sounds truly the same haha

He remembers the main motifs and hooks I'm sure, but the rest is on the fly.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Silky Smooth
Yeah most if all of his playing is improvised

Thats why live nothing ever sounds truly the same haha

He remembers the main motifs and hooks I'm sure, but the rest is on the fly.

I guessed that the live versions were improvved but I had no idea the studio takes were as well, I think I'm now a bigger fan than I was

I still refuse to be a stereotypical fanboy though

Album.
Legion.
Silky Smooth
Lavish linear lickage
184 IQ
Yeah I remember him saying he'll do one take and keep it, if hes not really feeling it he'll go back and try another but its all improvised playing.

And likewise here, if I worshiped only one style and thing how would I ever get any better as a player. Thats why its critical to keep your ears and your mind open to as much as possible.
The_Toki
324 IQ
I'll See The Light Tonight
Disciples of Hell
Rising Force
As Above So Below

are good songs

My favourite album is Marching Out.
BoogieManMKD
Bucketbot in disguise
309 IQ
I liked his tone on the first few albums too. Nice and crystal clean, but now its a bit weird, I don't know what it is about his tone now, but I don't like it that much.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Silky Smooth
Lavish linear lickage
184 IQ
Yeah I noticed that too

The older ones he seemed to have a more layed back EQing, I sense a stronger treble and presence in his tone now then the old days. Its not as smooth as it used to be because of the high end bite.
BlueAltitudes
The Virtuoso's Brother.
491 IQ
Quote by BoogieManMKD

Ditto.

You summed up what i wanted to say about him.

Also, I really liked him when he was younger. There was just something about him when he was an up and coming star.

Also, you guys saying he improvises everything, you have to remember he has his "key" licks that he uses that make up his style, and he has done/played his licks A LOT. So, it's not all really improvised.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Jun 2, 2008,
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by BlueAltitudes
Also, you guys saying he improvises everything, you have to remember he has his "key" licks that he uses that make up his style, and he has done/played his licks A LOT. So, it's not all really improvised.

And you think this doesn't count for everyone, from Frank Zappa to Charlie Parker to Liszt?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
And you think this doesn't count for everyone, from Frank Zappa to Charlie Parker to Liszt?

+1

Everyone has licks that they use because for the most part improvising any kind of speed is next to impossible if you want to keep it clean.

Album.
Legion.
BlueAltitudes
The Virtuoso's Brother.
491 IQ
Quote by Resiliance

What? Why wouldn't I take anyone else into account?

It's kind of obvious.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by BlueAltitudes
What? Why wouldn't I take anyone else into account?

It's kind of obvious.

What?

Why would you even say that if you agree with me? That IS improvising. Anything else, and you're just being pedantic.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
BlueAltitudes
The Virtuoso's Brother.
491 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
What?

Why would you even say that if you agree with me? That IS improvising. Anything else, and you're just being pedantic.

I'm confused, I was never disagreeing in the first place. All I said is that Yngwie probably has his licks that he uses a lot when he improvises and that all of the stuff he does probably isn't improvised. Everybody has to make up their own licks, well maybe they don't have to, but you get my point right?
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by BlueAltitudes
I'm confused, I was never disagreeing in the first place. All I said is that Yngwie probably has his licks that he uses a lot when he improvises and that all of the stuff he does probably isn't improvised. Everybody has to make up their own licks, well maybe they don't have to, but you get my point right?

Sure, I get your point.

I just think your point isn't relevant at all.

What's colloquially called improvising in music incorporates and includes a musician's arsenal of licks.

Click.
YngwieIstheWay
122 IQ
Well heres a juicy story for you. The third time i saw yngwie about 5 years ago he was in Norfolk Virginia. it was crucial. i was right up to the stage and mind you, i had eaten 3 doses and i was trippin hardddd. hes in the middle of this hugeeeee improv. he breaks a string on his guitar so hes like **** it, he throws it behind his back, his gear guy catches it and then throws him another (like 1/6 out of his arsenal of sigs.) yngwie catches this one and returns to the shreddery. later in the show, yngwie is shredding at such super-sonic speeds, that his middle finger gets cut on his high E string. im right up front, so i get splattered with blood. i now have, on my wall, a piece of my jeans that i cut out, stained with his blood. also, during far beyond the sun, right before the solo in it, i knew he would have to go from the bridge pickup to his neck pickup for his juicy sweeps, so i flicked it for him. he winked at me.. haha. then at the end i gave him a hug. good show.
BlueAltitudes
The Virtuoso's Brother.
491 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
Sure, I get your point.

I just think your point isn't relevant at all.

What's colloquially called improvising in music incorporates and includes a musician's arsenal of licks.

I suppose, but then it isn't true improv?

Or am I just being stupid ?
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Silky Smooth
Lavish linear lickage
184 IQ
Quote by YngwieIstheWay
Well heres a juicy story for you. The third time i saw yngwie about 5 years ago he was in Norfolk Virginia. it was crucial. i was right up to the stage and mind you, i had eaten 3 doses and i was trippin hardddd. hes in the middle of this hugeeeee improv. he breaks a string on his guitar so hes like **** it, he throws it behind his back, his gear guy catches it and then throws him another (like 1/6 out of his arsenal of sigs.) yngwie catches this one and returns to the shreddery. later in the show, yngwie is shredding at such super-sonic speeds, that his middle finger gets cut on his high E string. im right up front, so i get splattered with blood. i now have, on my wall, a piece of my jeans that i cut out, stained with his blood. also, during far beyond the sun, right before the solo in it, i knew he would have to go from the bridge pickup to his neck pickup for his juicy sweeps, so i flicked it for him. he winked at me.. haha. then at the end i gave him a hug. good show.

Haha for real?

Man that is awesome
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by BlueAltitudes
I suppose, but then it isn't true improv?

Or am I just being stupid ?

Which is why I said you're being pedantic, thinking that.

Going to those extremes, true improvisation doesn't exist.

Click.