Page 4 of 14
Be prepared for a lot of tasteful shredding.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Be prepared for a lot of tasteful shredding.

+1 He'll hold back a lot so don't expect too much flash
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1 He'll hold back a lot so don't expect too much flash

Yeah, the occaisonal sweep, mostly pentatonic licks though.

R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by big geordie
Hi guys Me and my son are going to see Yngwie in newcastle on monday .I haven`t heard a lot of his stuff. The question is are we in for a treat?

i wish my dad would take me to see yngwie

well not really now......
but when i was 14 or something YES PLEASE!
Top lel.
The Malmsteen is an awesome guitarist, Ship of Fools is probably my favorite song by him. Love the opening to it From what i hear, he puts on a good show, you should enjoy yourself.
Well well well I took my son to see Yngwie on monday ,and my son who is a fabulous guitarist stood in total awe of what he was seeing and he`s never done that before!!!!!! and the only thing I can say is that he was brilliant what a performer,and we did get 4 plectrums so that was a bonus
i heard he chucks plectrums into the crowd like.......ever bar and stuff?

yeah man, its been a long time since a show had that kind of effect on me aswell!

padsave17: i believe he has a new one out in august/september or something?
Top lel.
Quote by Resiliance
Saw him last week. Man, does Ripper Owens have some great pipes... Unfortunately Yngwie overdid it on the delay pedal echo etude stuff and general wanking, more than the previous time I saw him. The bad mix didn't help either.

He's still much better than most of you give him credit for though, technically. YouTube videos don't cut it.

I know how good he is--I remembr hearing Far Beyond the Sun for the first time ( yes, cliche I know) but I could not believe I was hearing a guitar played that way--even though Ive since listened to more ''technical'' players, I dont think any other song will affect me in such a way ever again--great mix of passion, attack, tone, vibrato, technique=everything basically.

Every time I think Im getting good on the guitar I try and play FBTS and realise Ive still got a LOT of work to do.
Thank God im an atheist
I can remember not really liking Malmsteen first time I listened to him but I can say he's grown on me a lot; he's still one of the only real 'neo-classical' players who actually keeps my attention, all the other guitarists I listen to a lot have jazz influences even if they're not flat out jazz players.

I also know, for a fact, that I haven't got a hope of playing Malmsteen stuff yet; my 3 note-per-string picking just isn't up to snuff
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
padsave17: i believe he has a new one out in august/september or something?

Thanks. Can't wait!
So where's the new album? Wiki says August 6, but wouldn't there be a BIT more hype if that were true?
well it is only the 24th of july

to be honest, his UK tour this month wasn't that hyped, so i doubt the album will be
Top lel.
Thought I should bring this back to life because of Perpetual Flame.

I got it, and am listening to it right now. It's quite frankly, boring. But Ripper is solid and it's YJM doing what he does...
Lost interest.
I think it's awesome!

His tone rocks on this album! So much better then the last one, gotta love the violin esque licks on Caprici Di Diablo too.

Ripper's a perfect match for Yngwie too, he sounds fantastic. I can't wait to hear him sing the old songs live on sunday night

:Edit: I deleted my other post as I forgot he had a dedicated thread
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Oct 13, 2008,
There's no denying that his credentials are there. His vibrato and tone definitely crack my top 10 faves.

Caprici is the instrumental right? That one was pretty decent, if I recall...
Lost interest.
Yeah it's an instrumental

Give it some more chances, theres some really great stuff on there

Magic city is cool too, he sings really well on that.
Last edited by Silky Smooth at Oct 14, 2008,
How do you guys like the new album?

Lol Perpetual Flame--sounds alot like an album I listen to everday. Can you guys guess what it is?
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by seymour_jackson
How do you guys like the new album?

Lol Perpetual Flame--sounds alot like an album I listen to everday. Can you guys guess what it is?

Perpetual Burn, amirite?
^ That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title, actually. Almost made me think "He's doing a tribute album?", but as if. This is Ingvay we're talking about here. If, as he so proudly likes to point out, genuinely doesn't listen to anybody else besides his classical guys, then I'm sure Becker isn't even a blip on his radar

I'm downloading it when I get home – I haven't really liked anything of his since Magnum Opus (everyone rags on that one, but I like it a lot).
Quote by DaFjory
^ That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title, actually. Almost made me think "He's doing a tribute album?", but as if. This is Ingvay we're talking about here. If, as he so proudly likes to point out, genuinely doesn't listen to anybody else besides his classical guys, then I'm sure Becker isn't even a blip on his radar

Yeah, I had a listen to some of the new tracks on youtube, it doesn't sound like he's breaking any new ground with this one.
When has he ever broken new ground since his '80s albums, though? The last album, from my collection of his stuff from Rising Force to Seventh Sign, that really sounded different to my ears was Eclipse (overload of love songs, Goran Edman's silky-smooth vox, and drums that "sound like someone banging on a wet shoebox"; the latter according to an Amazon reviewer, which I tend to agree with!)

He's like Satch, in that he has his style and is sticking to it no matter what. In a way that's good, because he won't suddenly come out with a St. Anger-type crappy album by surprise, but also not good because we'll never hear him branch out into territory that might make us stand up and listen, i.e. Jeff Beck with Who Else! and the electronica stuff.
Last edited by DaFjory at Oct 14, 2008,
Ahh, I meant to say that he has again not broken new ground, it's just the same old Malmsteen, love it or hate it.
Downloaded and listened to it just now, and eehh... as I expected, it's clipped to holy hell and gives me a headache ("production", my ass), but I don't think the music itself is all too bad. Standard, predictable Ingvay, but certainly better than his last 4 albums (all of which I think are pretty sucky at best, but sufficiently tolerable not to be labelled as bad).

I think the only remaining albums left for me to buy from his discog are the aforementioned Magnum Opus, Facing The Animal and perhaps Concerto Suite. Besides them, I won't bother with anything else. Even the Alcatrazz and Steeler stuff bored the hell out of me – and I'm a diehard hair metal fan!
Wow really? I thought the production of this album was great. Maybe its my speaker system but it doesnt sound harsh or clipped at all on here.
Mmkay, for lack of a better term (even though I can see hefty amounts of clipping on the waveform), I would say that it's just very... LOUD? Especially compared to his early albums, which are so nice and kind on the ears – if I want the volume up, I'll just crank it in Winamp on my own accord; I don't need it done for me by this Roy Z hack.
Haha yeah you are right it is quite loud

I miss the tones of early albums that actually had dynamic volumes instead of one normalized loud preset.

I guess you can credit that to the loudness war
Folks, as an avid Malmsteen fan, I am disappointed with Perpetual Flame.

Now normally I'd agree with the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" rule, but it wouldn't kill Yngwie to change his style now and again, just for the **** of it. The exact same style, actually the exact same riffs, as on his other albums. I am BORED with this stuff, after so many albums of basically the same songs, with the same old recycled neoclassical runs as in the good ol' 80's.

Really, after hearing the same stuff from him for so many years, it's become over-used and tiresome. Doesn't he get tired of playing the same shit for over 30 ****in' years?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
He obviously sees the minor changes and likes it.

Nice to see I'm not the only one that thought of PB.
haha to Nacho Cheese. I saw the title of the album and thought "Oh boy, maybe a Becker style educed album?" But then i quickly realized we were talking about Malmsteen here and a change in style for him is a bit out of the question.

I haven't listened to the album in its entirety but I really enjoy the song "Live to Fight". The singer resmebles the vocalist on Iced Earth's "Something Wicked Part 2". Some stuff just reminds me of his previous work. "Magic City"--come on Malmsteen, I've heard that intro on about every song you've written. The singer kinda sounds like a young Ozzy at some parts. I laugh at the Damnation Game intro; have we not heard that a million times already?

I havent purchased a Malmsteen album since that 2 disc "20th anniversary" one and before that it was the "Rising Forces" so for now it entertains me. But i can see myself getting very bored very quick. But that goes for most of Malmsteens stuff for me.

JB new album this month!!!
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
How freakin' Photoshopped does the porkster look on that cover? They've thinned him out and made that skin look shinier than an FHM glamour model.
ripper used to sing in iced earth so there might be some similarities?
He's not fat anymore

According to the interview with ripper owens Yngwie's been clean and sober for 3 years now and has gotten back into good shape. You can tell he is too from the newer videos.

There was a funny comment ripper made about how huge Yngwie is, they asked him if he ever "unleashed the fury" and ripper said he'd be scared if he did hahaha. He said he has alot of scars on his knuckles probably from knockin a few heads around back in angry days.
Quote by Silky Smooth
He's not fat anymore

According to the interview with ripper owens Yngwie's been clean and sober for 3 years now and has gotten back into good shape. You can tell he is too from the newer videos.

Maybe his ego will diminish in size as well.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.