Lets say you promised to help your kid pay for a guitar. Would you then tell him 4 days before you go to get the guitar that you won't be buying it for him unless he plays a sport that he absolutely despises?

Just a hypothetical question. Has nothing to do with me at all.
I hope it's cold, everyday, where you are.
Let me guess, you're dad wants to bribe you into playing a sport by buying you a guitar?
no. not only would the kid hate you, but you lose the trust that is established.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
No. I'd help him or not.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
My dad did damn near the exact same thing, except on the four days before he made up a contract that basically enslaved me. If you're the dad, then just buy the kid the guitar. Don't pressure your kid into a sport. Or, if you're the kid, which is more likely, then scrounge the money and get your own. Fvck him.
The Gear:
Fender Frontman 25R
Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Ebony
Quote by keavader
My dad did damn near the exact same thing, except on the four days before he made up a contract that basically enslaved me. If you're the dad, then just buy the kid the guitar. Don't pressure your kid into a sport. Or, if you're the kid, which is more likely, then scrounge the money and get your own. Fvck him.

agreed
no. it will just cause arguments, problems, and resentment. none of which are healthy for a father-son relationship.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Id go with the original promise and I would allow the kid to be thier own person instead of trying to shape him/her into what I invisioned.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
dont force your kid into a sport they dont like.

its stupid. my parents forced me to play baseball. i didnt like it at all, and i got mad at them a lot for it. i never gained anything from it.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Let me guess, you're dad wants to bribe you into playing a sport by buying you a guitar?

Wrong. He said he'd help me buy this guitar about a month ago. Now, 4 days before we go to get it, he says if I don't play hockey next season he won't buy it for me. Some of you will say "JUST DO IT!! IT'S FOR A GUITAR!!" but I've grown to despise everyone I play hockey with.

Quote by keavader

The guitar is going for $1200. (I'm paying for $650). It took me nearly 3 years to save that much. I'm not gonna wait another 1.5 - 2 years to get it.
Quote by Crutchy
Wrong. He said he'd help me buy this guitar about a month ago. Now, 4 days before we go to get it, he says if I don't play hockey next season he won't buy it for me. Some of you will say "JUST DO IT!! IT'S FOR A GUITAR!!" but I've grown to despise everyone I play hockey with.

The guitar is going for $1200. (I'm paying for $650). It took me nearly 3 years to save that much. I'm not gonna wait another 1.5 - 2 years to get it.
I'd advise you not to blow 3 years of savings on a single pick-up guitar.

If your at an age where your dad is helping you pay for stuff you're probably not old enough to have found your ideal tone yet, and 1 pickup leaves little room for exploration.
Quote by Crutchy

If the guitar matters enough that you'll deal with douchebags to get it, go for it. Otherwise, you can tell your dad to go **** himself.
Quote by Crutchy

tell him that you want to play guitar and that you hate hockey and if he loves you he would put you in this situation
this what i say. tell him you dont want to get the guitar anymore and thus you wont have to play hockey. it will piss him off more but he wont be able to say anything about it.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by InvaderTSN
If the guitar matters enough that you'll deal with douchebags to get it, go for it. Otherwise, you can tell your dad to go **** himself.

people who play sports are douchebags?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG550

Vox AD30VT
Quote by blaze2thekings
people who play sports are douchebags?

Did you not read what I quoted? TS said he hates people he plays hockey with.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I'd advise you not to blow 3 years of savings on a single pick-up guitar.

If your at an age where your dad is helping you pay for stuff you're probably not old enough to have found your ideal tone yet, and 1 pickup leaves little room for exploration.

All I really need is one pick-up. On the guitar I have now (Peavey Raptor EXP), I only use one pick-up (bridge), and hate the sound of all the other pick-ups on this guitar.

And I've gone to music shops, tried my friend's guitars, and I found that I hate the tone of all the pick-ups (except for the bridge one on most).

...I hope that made sense... If it doesn't, sorry. I'm not too good with guitar terminology and whatnot.
How old are you? Just refuse your dad's offer, and get a job as soon as you can.
Who dat?
I'd help him/her without hiding anything.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!