Page 1 of 4
Have you ever had an experience where you told your friends about a band you just love only for them to stare you blankly in the face and reply, "Who?"

Post some of your favorite lesser-known artists that more people should be listening to.

I'll start. Absolutely nobody I know has ever heard of ......And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead....but I think they're pretty damn awesome.
Children of Bodom. While they're coming larger everyday, hardly anybody I know has heard of them.
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by Lauri
Children of Bodom. While they're coming larger everyday, hardly anybody I know has heard of them.

While Children of Bodom is insanely awesome, they're still pretty big as far as metal goes.

I recently heard some stuff by this Finish death metal band 'Sotajumala'. They're pretty good, but nowhere have I seen their music except for a few songs on youtube.
Quote by Lauri

Every metalhead, goth, scene kid, hardcore kid knows them. If you go around asking your grandpa he might get puzzled.
The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex
Kaki King
Grandaddy
Tommy Emmanuel
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Last edited by Here_is_no_why at May 20, 2008,
Quote by TheBigNoobie
Have you ever had an experience where you told your friends about a band you just love only for them to stare you blankly in the face and reply, "Who?"
I'll start. Absolutely nobody I know has ever heard of ......And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead....

Heard of them. Like 10 times.

My vote is for Vomit Punx.
Quote by Lauri

you must not have any friends, to put it lightly.
Clutch- this band kicks ass and they've progressed from grungey/sludge rock to blusey/sludge rock, check out The Elephant Riders if you get the chance.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Presidents of the United States of America, there song Peaches is funny, and the video has NINJAS!!!!! Also Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives, there pretty cool, and Go Bragg, and Vandeerdan, or Vanderdeen, something like that
hot action cop. theyre not that well known but amazing! theyre kinda everywhere as far as style goes. i think i would classify them as rock/rap/godlike. they also have some slower stuff. check em out.
Charles Earland, Kenny Dorham, De Facto, Jaki Byard, Ewa Demarczyk, Brainiac,, Tomorrow, Guru Guru, Glenn Branca, Goblin, Pharoah Sanders, Tina Brooks, Luigi Nono, Thinking Plague, Roxy Music, Diamanda Galás, cLOUDDEAd, This Heat, CocoRosie, Mare, Phil Ochs, Marva Whitney, The Sword, Ólafur Arnalds, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Suicide, Lightning Bolt, Junior Murvin, Hella, Iannis Xenakis, Om, Steel Pulse, Krzysztof Komeda, Mikey Dread, Justin Hinds & The Dominoes, Flying Saucer Attack, Fennesz, Behold... The Arctopus, James Blood Ulmer, The Dear Hunter, Fela Kuti, NoMeansNo, The Millenium, Dr. Octagon, Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos, Sleep, Gospel, The Felice Brothers, Black Star, Matching Mole, Lord Finesse, Rare Earth, Main Source, Alexander "Skip" Spence, Keith Jarrett, Giant Squid, Michio Kurihara, The Meters, Blackalicious, Sun Ra, La Monte Young, Yusef Lateef, Edgard Varèse, George Russell, Comets On Fire, Paquito D'Rivera, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, The Jesus Lizard, Earth, Tim Berne, Matthew Shipp, maudlin of the Well, Alice Coltrane, Creation Rebel, Les Rallizes Denudés, Souls Of Mischief, Yawning Man, Robbie Basho, Derrick Harriott & The Crystallites, Country Joe & The Fish, The Pharcyde, Big L, Gorguts, The Coup, Yakuza, Larry Harlow, Earthless, Flying Lotus, Scientist, Keith Hudson, Morton Feldman, Toby Driver, Sibylle Baier, Death In June, The Durutti Column, Buju Banton, Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Area, Fatso Jetson, 10 Ft. Ganja Plant
Os Mutantes, Anthony Braxton, Freddie Hubbard, Augustus Pablo, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Current 93, Textures, Polvo, Henry Cow, Sir Richard Bishop, Ray Barretto, Kayo Dot, Leo Kottke, Shakti, Jeru The Damaja, Arti & Mestieri, Conflict, Taj Mahal Travelers, Steve Reich, Can, Hank Mobley, mewithoutYou, Arzachel, Black Moon, Derek Bailey, Osibisa, Acid Mothers Temple, Jedi Mind Tricks, Silver Apples, Fear, Pete La Roca, McCoy Tyner, Carla Bley, Ibrahim Ferrer, Tartar Lamb, Cecil Taylor, Don Cherry, Peter Brötzmann, Cold Sun, Meat Puppets, James Blackshaw, Opal, Clann Zú, Munir Bashir, Poncho Sanchez, Flower Travellin' Band, Rabih Abou-Khalil, The Dukes Of Stratosphear, Disillusion, Richard Youngs, Linton Kwesi Johnson, The Fucking Champs, Six Organs Of Admittance, Talk Talk, Swans, Prince Far I, Cherubs, Sonny Sharrock, Shuggie Otis, Bunny Wailer, Propagandhi, Egg, Ornette Coleman, Gil Scott-Heron, Archie Shepp, Tim Hardin, Drive Like Jehu, Mazzy Star, Moss Icon, Mojack, Pelt, Soulsavers.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so
absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
Quote by Aveks
I've heard half of those bands.

:/

Most people I know haven't heard so much as ten of them, sadly.

I'd recommend hearing the second half, btw.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so
absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
Quote by Dr. Jawaka
Charles Earland, Kenny Dorham, De Facto, Jaki Byard, Ewa Demarczyk, Brainiac,, Tomorrow, Guru Guru, Glenn Branca, Goblin, Pharoah Sanders, Tina Brooks, Luigi Nono, Thinking Plague, Roxy Music, Diamanda Galás, cLOUDDEAd, This Heat, CocoRosie, Mare, Phil Ochs, Marva Whitney, The Sword, Ólafur Arnalds, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Suicide, Lightning Bolt, Junior Murvin, Hella, Iannis Xenakis, Om, Steel Pulse, Krzysztof Komeda, Mikey Dread, Justin Hinds & The Dominoes, Flying Saucer Attack, Fennesz, Behold... The Arctopus, James Blood Ulmer, The Dear Hunter, Fela Kuti, NoMeansNo, The Millenium, Dr. Octagon, Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos, Sleep, Gospel, The Felice Brothers, Black Star, Matching Mole, Lord Finesse, Rare Earth, Main Source, Alexander "Skip" Spence, Keith Jarrett, Giant Squid, Michio Kurihara, The Meters, Blackalicious, Sun Ra, La Monte Young, Yusef Lateef, Edgard Varèse, George Russell, Comets On Fire, Paquito D'Rivera, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, The Jesus Lizard, Earth, Tim Berne, Matthew Shipp, maudlin of the Well, Alice Coltrane, Creation Rebel, Les Rallizes Denudés, Souls Of Mischief, Yawning Man, Robbie Basho, Derrick Harriott & The Crystallites, Country Joe & The Fish, The Pharcyde, Big L, Gorguts, The Coup, Yakuza, Larry Harlow, Earthless, Flying Lotus, Scientist, Keith Hudson, Morton Feldman, Toby Driver, Sibylle Baier, Death In June, The Durutti Column, Buju Banton, Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Area, Fatso Jetson, 10 Ft. Ganja Plant
Os Mutantes, Anthony Braxton, Freddie Hubbard, Augustus Pablo, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Current 93, Textures, Polvo, Henry Cow, Sir Richard Bishop, Ray Barretto, Kayo Dot, Leo Kottke, Shakti, Jeru The Damaja, Arti & Mestieri, Conflict, Taj Mahal Travelers, Steve Reich, Can, Hank Mobley, mewithoutYou, Arzachel, Black Moon, Derek Bailey, Osibisa, Acid Mothers Temple, Jedi Mind Tricks, Silver Apples, Fear, Pete La Roca, McCoy Tyner, Carla Bley, Ibrahim Ferrer, Tartar Lamb, Cecil Taylor, Don Cherry, Peter Brötzmann, Cold Sun, Meat Puppets, James Blackshaw, Opal, Clann Zú, Munir Bashir, Poncho Sanchez, Flower Travellin' Band, Rabih Abou-Khalil, The Dukes Of Stratosphear, Disillusion, Richard Youngs, Linton Kwesi Johnson, The Fucking Champs, Six Organs Of Admittance, Talk Talk, Swans, Prince Far I, Cherubs, Sonny Sharrock, Shuggie Otis, Bunny Wailer, Propagandhi, Egg, Ornette Coleman, Gil Scott-Heron, Archie Shepp, Tim Hardin, Drive Like Jehu, Mazzy Star, Moss Icon, Mojack, Pelt, Soulsavers.

I've heard of some of those bands.

mewithoutYou should stay 'underground'. The music scene is bad enough, we don't need more crap like mwY.

Anyways, I don't have anything to add to this thread, most bands I listen to are at least known by some people.
Quote by Lauri

children of....Hae you ever read Total guitar.

sweet lord save us from 'Guitar' groups.

Nobody likes heavy metal.

cos' that'swhat they are.

move on.
Foals? Most people who have a deep interest in indie will probably know them, but as far as mainstream popularity goes, they are not very well known.
Quote by DanteLord
Dinosaur Jr. is f*cking amazing. check them out.
and my band, but i would never want to publicize them........ hehehhe

(the links in my sig)

Hell yes, I love Dinosaur Jr.

Their Cure cover wasn't too bad either
Quote by Time Seller
Radiohead.

O_O

They are one of the most popular rock bands on Earth.

To add to the conversation; Tyrannosaurus Sex.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
skip spence
bruce haack
joe meek
mayo thompson
this heat
etc, etc. i mean the list is huge. dr jawaka had some great **** on his over-indulgent list.
Little Man Tate.

They're an indie band...and i don't really listen to indie but they're really good.
Jonas Brothers
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by ChicNStu0017
ew

why dont you go listen to BB Mack
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Page 1 of 4