Once Again... I tried a Diffferent classic 30... without the V30... and the thing ****ing hollared heavy metal tones. It could have used a little more drive.... What mods could I do (provided I bought one, which I will!) to increase the gain just a tad (should I just use an OD pedal instead?). Are there any specific tubes which really make these things breath fire?
There are some tubes that might be a little more inclined to break up at lower gain levels. Some are advertised as such, but I think the bigger difference lies in the type of tube, which is limited by amp circuit design.

I've read all over that Tung-Sol 12AX7 tubes are real nice for preamps. As far as what tubes might be good for the power stage, I've heard great things about JJ's. That happens to be the combo I plan to go with when I need to re-tube my amp.

Aside from that, an OD or distortion pedal might be your best bet. I wasn't able to find any info on specific mods from a google search.
JJ EL84's are MADE for the classic series. Plus, it helps that JJ makes an especially good EL84.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Sounds preety good ...

I turn the pre-amp gain all the way... and I get an almost JCM800 style rock tone. I guess the best thing to do would be a simple overdrive pedal to really get it that destructive thrash chunk. I know its not an OD but I was thinking of getting a ZVEX fuzz factory, and maxing out the low to get a really low grainy destructive fuzz tone, would that be cool?
I thought you were saving for a Splawn?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
I thought you were saving for a Splawn?

I realized that I do not possess the financial prowess or the time needed to accumulate the cash for that. and trust me telling your parents to buy a combo that can go for as cheap as 300 is alot easier than trying to convince them to put in cash for an amp that costs 6x as much for just the head...

When I do have the time and the money to get the splawn I will though!
^ Sounds fair enough!
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Highwaytohell
Sounds preety good ...

I turn the pre-amp gain all the way... and I get an almost JCM800 style rock tone. I guess the best thing to do would be a simple overdrive pedal to really get it that destructive thrash chunk. I know its not an OD but I was thinking of getting a ZVEX fuzz factory, and maxing out the low to get a really low grainy destructive fuzz tone, would that be cool?
If fuzz is your idea of metal, then sure.
i put the JJ "normal clean channel/high gain lead channel" tubes in mine and the gain just came alive. ive also played a stock c30 through a 4x12 cab and the gain is a lot tighter and i was able to pull off some nice sounding hardcore stuff.

so my conclusion is: buy a c30, put in jj high gain tubes, get a nice 4x12, and melt faces.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
i put the JJ "normal clean channel/high gain lead channel" tubes in mine and the gain just came alive. ive also played a stock c30 through a 4x12 cab and the gain is a lot tighter and i was able to pull off some nice sounding hardcore stuff.

so my conclusion is: buy a c30, put in jj high gain tubes, get a nice 4x12, and melt faces.

I have one... IT came stock with JJ EL84s for some reason... WTF!? AWESOME!
I would say either either Tung-Sol, EHX Gold Pin and then a JJ in phase inverter. Oh and they are 12AX7 or ECC83 depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on.
edit: I also have some mods, one of which I did on my Classic 50
http://blueguitar.org/
and go to FTP Site Map on the side bar, schem =>peavey =>modnotes
and all the mods are there.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55