there has probably been a million of these already, but humor me or direct me to a good thread. i am looking for a good computer interface to record with, i have looked at stuff like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Electronic-Konnekt-8-Audio-FireWire-Interface?sku=240299

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Alpha-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245507

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166

but all the reviews if have read on them either say they are great or they suck, nothing too helpful. i am planning on getting a mac book with leopard OS. all the above products come with Cubase LE, and as far as i know it runs on leopard.

the questions are pretty much:
1. is mac book a good choice for recording computer, 2 gig memory, 250 gig hard drive, and 2.4 ghz duo core processor? a laptop was chosen for portability, desktop is not an option.

2. are any of these hardware interfaces any good, if not can you recommend a good one or another method. right now i am leaning toward tc electronic konnekt 8

3. is cubase LE pretty good software package? we use sonar at the house, and it is good, but if LE comes free then...

thanks for any input
PreSonus has been recommened to me by a few great engineering friends of mine

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project?sku=241723

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FIREBOX-24bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133

i wouldnt worry too much the program as I would the add-ons/plug-ins
Cubase LE should be fine

but this is why i use digital workstations to record
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
macs have firewire ports on them and so I would tend to get a firewire connected interface?

What are you planning to record and whats your budget?
If you are planning on recording more than two mics at one time a USB interface wont be a great choice since USB can not transfer more than two mono tracks at one time without mixing them down to a stereo track.

The interfaces you are looking at will work but theres better out there IMO. PreSonus is a great brand to look at as well.
1. Sure, macbooks can do the trick. I just find them very difficult to do complex tasks due to the tiny screen. If you don't mind spending money, go right ahead...I do recommend getting the warranty though, as their repair costs are obscene.

2. What exactly are you going to record? A Presonus Inspire may be sufficient for your needs and save you a lot of money.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
1) i dont mind the tiny screen so much, if i need more screen i'll get a bigger monitor for at home, but i'll be recording live alot too so i don't need a big screen for that kinda simple stuff.

2)what i am planning on recording is mainly either live performances or a bit of track recording. this is mainly a portability thing, to be able to take my mics and stands and a laptop with a box and maybe a mixer, unlike my home studio where we got all the nice preamps and the good software and the such. but while i am on the road i will probably also be doing some recording as well.
1. Alright...cool.
2. Are you doing to record the outputs of a main mixer then? If you want a mixer that can do double duty as a live mixer and a Firewire interface, you can look into Alesis's and Mackie's offerings. The latter has pretty darn good preamps too.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

if i do alot of instruments somewhere than i am gonna run 2 stereo inputs from a mixing board most likely, so i don't need an abundance of inputs, but i do like the flexibility of being able to get more firewire unit to expand, that is why i was thinking tc electronic
Oh, cool. The Mackie Onyx Satellite (docked) will take care of the 2 stereo outputs of a mixer. If you want more inputs, look into the similarly priced U420 (it has four of them), which would give you some EQ flexibility and easy metering.
Quote by keiron_d

ended up getting the mac and the 2 input presonus, recorded today and it sounded great, got the software running and everything hooked up in like 20 minutes.

thanks for all the advice, this is definitely the most useful thread i started, i appreciate it
No problem. Happy to be of service. Remember, this is one of the few productive and friendly portions of UG.
Quote by keiron_d