Page 1 of 2
what are some good black metal bands? I love old death metal and thrash metal but I can't seem to get into black metal at all... what are some good older black metal bands/songs? usually the vocals or poor recording quality ruins the songs to me
Recommendation thread right on the top of this forum...

Try some Emperor or Mirrorthrone. Those are the only two Black Metal bands I actually listen to though.
Try Dissection. Great Melodic Black metal band.

Also try the rec thread. THEY WILL KNOW!

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Never been able to get into black metal just not my thing, got a friend who loves it though so I know quite a few bands, but here's some prominent BM bands

Gorgoroth
Marduk
Emperor
Cradle of Filth (I know this is more of "mainstream" black metal, well there's nothing mainstream about BM but compared to most other bands CoF is)
Dimmu Borgir (same as above)
Celtic Frost
Mayhem
Xasthur (realllllll lo-fi)
Darkthrone
Watain
Dark Funeral
Anaal Nathrakh
Quote by kirkhammett09
I've always loved Celtic Frost's music... I never really considered they're work black metal though

Their earlier stuff is more black metal...their sound is kind of different now, don't know how to really classify it
Quote by Magero
If you don't teach them, who will?

life.

a life filled with pain, whether imminent or eminent pain, acting as a natural reprimand for their mistakes.
Quote by Magero
It's "their" not "they're"
They're means they are
Their = ownership
There = location

no, it's different here on the moon.... they're is a conjunction... it means their... it's the plural form of there
Quote by I,Voyager

superiority complex, lik srsly

No, basic writing skills. Just because it's the interwebz doesn't mean you need to write like a retarded 6 year old.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Aveks
life.

a life filled with pain, whether imminent or eminent pain, acting as a natural reprimand for their mistakes.

I like you.
Quote by STABxYOU
No, basic writing skills. Just because it's the interwebz doesn't mean you need to write like a retarded 6 year old.

And you.
Quote by STABxYOU

There's a place for grammar, but web forums are not that place...there are a lot of people who speak english as a second language first of all, and the point of these places it to communicate, not to nitpick. We all understood what we said, and we can be pretty certain that if he thought about it for a second he'd realize his own mistake, so what's the point?

I think we all get enough of this in English class.

But to be clear, I'm not supporting retarded AOLer speak, ie nt usng vowls and exprssns lik "c u l8r" an "u r a noob". That's just obnoxious.
Dude, honestly, after seeing the results of the current education system around my parts, I feel obliged, nay, COMPELLED, to correct grammar. I have friends who spell "here" as "hear". And have NO CLUE that they made a mistake. I have three friends who all spell "feel" as "feal". I have friends who capitalise the first letter of every word because "that's what you're meant to do".

I wasn't being mean or malicious, just letting him know.
Quote by Magero
REC THREAD

Mirrorthrone
Old Dimmu Borgir
Old Cradle of Filth
Emperor
Immortal

If you don't like any of them you won't like black metal.

What about raw black lol

TS: try Bestial Summoning - The Dark War Has Begun
you'd prob like Grand Belial's Key too
for stuff thats more thrash/death influenced try Masochist, Havohej/Profanatica
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Old Dimmu Borgir (Stormblast = win)
Old Cradle of Filth (Especially Vempire)
Emperor (Start with Anthems To the Welkin At Dusk)
Immortal (I rec At the Heart of Winter and on)

also:

Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Dissection - The Somberlain, Storm of the Light's Bane

after you're through with all these:

Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns, Lunar Poetry
Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
Marduk - Nightwing

Those are my recs dude. the last 4 albums are rather in the extreme of BM and are hard to get in to if you're not very familiar with BM.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by STABxYOU

lol, agreed,

more to the point, here are the only BM bands I listen to :

Gorgoroth
Belphegor
Dark Funeral
Keep Of Kalessin

I don't listen to a lot of BM, but Blackened Death is awesome, although that's not what the TS asked for so I won't bother making a list for that. I should get in to more BM bands actually, I'll check out some of the Reccomandations in this thread, or just go to the Rec Thread.
Quote by destroy_techno
Watain got me into BM, so try them

same for me, in addition try Emperor and Dissection.

As for the well recorded BM, on the side of good production we have: Mirrorthrone, Emperor (later), Watain and Thorns. On the side of the bad we have a few thousand bands. While there can be some good BM with clear production, it's the exception rather than the rule.

@MHDrunk: Raw Black Metal is awsome, but if the production is the problem i can't think of a worse starting point. Well, unless you count LLN seperatly. Then you've hit rock bottom, production wise (from what i've heard, at least.)
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by Magero
REC THREAD

Mirrorthrone
Old Dimmu Borgir
Old Cradle of Filth
Emperor
Immortal

If you don't like any of them you won't like black metal.

Just to be annoying, I'm not a big fan of any of them
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by sleepwalker16
Old Dimmu Borgir (Stormblast = win)
Old Cradle of Filth (Especially Vempire)
Emperor (Start with Anthems To the Welkin At Dusk)
Immortal (I rec At the Heart of Winter and on)

also:

Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Dissection - The Somberlain, Storm of the Light's Bane

after you're through with all these:

Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns, Lunar Poetry
Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
Marduk - Nightwing

Those are my recs dude. the last 4 albums are rather in the extreme of BM and are hard to get in to if you're not very familiar with BM.

Nokturnal Mortum and Sacramentum are not extreme. Haven't heard Vinterland. Marduk are not hard to get into.

Extreme bm is stuff like Bestial Summoning, Profanatica...
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by mckraf99
haha all good black metal is poor recordings.

haha

kudos.
Originally Posted by waterproofpie
hahaha
it's fun to watch hardcore bands with keyboards live.

Why?
Nothing greater than the joy of someone trying to look really aggressive while playing the same instrument Elton John plays
Quote by MHDrunk
Nokturnal Mortum and Sacramentum are not extreme. Haven't heard Vinterland. Marduk are not hard to get into.

Extreme bm is stuff like Bestial Summoning, Profanatica...

Extreme in a sense of how hard it is to get into them. Took me a while.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
I started with...

-Bathory
-Darkthrone
-old Mayhem
-Emperor
-Drudkh
-Burzum
-Hellhammer

And then you branch out from there.
Quote by MHDrunk
What about raw black lol

TS: try Bestial Summoning - The Dark War Has Begun
you'd prob like Grand Belial's Key too
for stuff thats more thrash/death influenced try Masochist, Havohej/Profanatica

Grand Belial's Key is great, I wish I still Mocking The Philanthropist, that album was cool.

Vesperian Sorrow
Tvangeste
Syncronomica
Mirrorthrone
Arcturus
Imperial Crystalline Entombment
Verdunkeln
Infernal War-Like Behemoth, but much better in my opinion.
Peste Noir
Stormlord
Taake
Ulver
Epoch of Unlight-more melodeath/black, but good nonetheless
Graveworm
Ne Obliviscaris-Black metal doesn't really describe them, more so progressive, but partly black metal, and a great band!
Agalloch-kinda blackish/folk but amazing!
Bethlehem
Dissection

That should keep you busy.
And you use THE RECOMMENDATION THREAD next time.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at May 22, 2008,
Page 1 of 2