I know the EMG 81-85s humbuckers are really good, but are they much better than my Seymour Duncans? I don't know which SD's are they, the came with my ESP LTD-EC 1000. I was thinking of getting the EMG's. Do you think they are worth the money?
Thanks.
Possibly , who knows - let your ears decide ! It really depends on the kind of music you want to do, but to be honest, if you have a quality set of SD's in there, spending £200 on a set of EMG's isnt going to transform your sound.
you probably have a JB and a '59 in there...

EDIT: ^+1 on what he said
Quote by mexican_shred
^oh jesus christ . just because it has the same brand name and a remotely same name doesnt make it at all the same. its like saying a cat is like a human because its a mammal.
Last edited by UnresolvdMurder at May 21, 2008,
not worth it unless you have a decent (valve) enough amp which will show the change
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I play hardcore and metal music (not death or black metal, something lighter; sort Bullet for my Valentine kind of metal), and my amp is a Peavey Valveking 212. I do a lot of solo stuff. Hope that helps.
If you want to change the pickups to get more gain out of your VK, then I would get a distortion pedal instead and hold off on the EMGs a little longer. The VK doesn't really get a very good metal tone on its own. I'd suggest an EHX metal muff.

If you are fine with the sound of the VK and just want to tweak it a little with new pups, then sure, go for the EMGs. They aren't necessarily better, just different. I would go to a shop and try a guitar with EMGs out on a VK and see how you like it. And if you do go with EMGs, I would go with either an 81/60 set or 81/89 set for the versatility.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
not worth it unless you have a decent (valve) enough amp which will show the change

you should go get a shot, your lies might be contagious.
Quote by crackereast

Yes, he's lying. Just to piss you off, he's lying.

Actually, he's completely right.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by crackereast

excuse me?

care to elaborate on that one?

putting **** hot top of the range active pups in a guitar then playing it through a no name 10 watt SS practise amp will be a complete waste of money, however playing it through an ENGL fireball will remove your face
Quote by crackereast

presumably ignorance like yours is genetic then?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My friend went to EMGs from a SD JB and '59.....two years later, he's selling the EMGs to go back to the same SD pickups he had. EMGS are lifeless, one trick ponies. If you like that ice picky, sterile sound they might be a good choice (and some people want that, so I'm not bashing). Other than that, I'm gonna say keep what you have, or possibly consider Dimarzio.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
^ God am I getting tired of posts like this.

Is this your own opinion or are you (A) on the bandwagon, or (B) heard your friend didn't like them hence you don't like them?
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
God no, dont change your SD's to EMG's. EMG's suck. No dynamics, no warmth, too sterile. A stagg with EMG's souds the same as a Gibson LP Custom. EMG's take all the specific tone of a guitar away. You wont play guitar anymore, you'll play pickup.
These SD's are all you need for metal, rock, blues, jazz, ...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by mafropetee
I would get a distortion pedal instead and hold off on the EMGs a little longer. I'd suggest an EHX metal muff.

No.
You want something thats going to push the amp a little further, get something like an Ibanez TS9 or an MXR Custom OD. Or one of Bloodshed's custom OD's which I've heard kickass!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
some of you are just spitting out crap.i have played my lp with emgs and my budys
lp with stock pups.both though tube and bad and good ss amps.and i could here
the defernce .the emgs were more touch sensitive, the tone was nicer in my openion
and they had less feedback when not playing.even on a ss amp.
i would not have a tube amp,for me they are more truble than they are worth.
and thats all i have to say about that.
Quote by LP_CL
...EMG's suck. No dynamics, no warmth, too sterile. A stagg with EMG's souds the same as a Gibson LP Custom. EMG's take all the specific tone of a guitar away. You wont play guitar anymore, you'll play pickup...
One of the most horrendously uninformed posts in the history of the internet.

Please, take a bow.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by crackereast
some of you are just spitting out crap.i have played my lp with emgs and my budys
lp with stock pups.both though tube and bad and good ss amps.and i could here
the defernce .the emgs were more touch sensitive, the tone was nicer in my openion
and they had less feedback when not playing.even on a ss amp.
i would not have a tube amp,for me they are more truble than they are worth.
and thats all i have to say about that.

ffs, people have to stop thinking that tube amps break if you look at then too hard. they break if you throw them down a fire escape, use them in the bath or set them on fire.

if a valve amp breaks, you take it to a tech, the tech pokes it, drinks tea and then replaced the broken bit

if an SS amp breaks, you buy a new amp. simple as that

if you were playing with any high quality pickup vs. stock of course they'd be quieter, on any amp.

but

going from one high output pup to another with a crap amp would not be worth it.

i bet the stock pups through a tube amp sounded better than the EMGs through the SS and that is exactly my point
Quote by jm1681
^ God am I getting tired of posts like this.

Is this your own opinion or are you (A) on the bandwagon, or (B) heard your friend didn't like them hence you don't like them?

My friend is my band mate...and I've spent a lot of time trying to help him get good solid tone from it, and for a while I was considering the EMG's myself. This is not a band wagon opinion but a personal encounter with this. I didnt own the EMG equipped guitar, but spent plenty of time playing on it (A Fernandes Ravelle through several different amps, Peavey XXX, Mesa Single Rec, Peavey 5150). I didnd't want to it was my guitar, because it wasn't. And I personally was the one to re-wire his pick-ups...so yeah, I consider my opinion informed
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by howey
No.
You want something thats going to push the amp a little further, get something like an Ibanez TS9 or an MXR Custom OD. Or one of Bloodshed's custom OD's which I've heard kickass!

BTW, thanks for the promotion. Lol. And I went ahead and ordered some of your parts for yours
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I'm a fan of Seymour Duncans myself. My vote would be no since Seymour Duncans are usually pretty good pickups (you probably have JBs or Distortions). If your guitar had bad or low output pickups, I would say go for it, but Seymour Duncans are not too shabby. Also, active pickups would be quite a nuisance due to changing batteries, and installation could be a bit annoying if you don't know what you're doing.

However, if you feel you do need that extra output, those slightly stronger harmonics, that extra bite, etc., then by all means go for it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Bloodshed
My friend is my band mate...and I've spent a lot of time trying to help him get good solid tone from it, and for a while I was considering the EMG's myself. This is not a band wagon opinion but a personal encounter with this. I didnt own the EMG equipped guitar, but spent plenty of time playing on it (A Fernandes Ravelle through several different amps, Peavey XXX, Mesa Single Rec, Peavey 5150). I didnd't want to it was my guitar, because it wasn't. And I personally was the one to re-wire his pick-ups...so yeah, I consider my opinion informed
Good, at least you're not one of the many sheep.

Your friend shoud've tried running them with 18V, I guarantee they'd still be in the guitar
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Wow.......just wow.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I like passive pickups. They're easy to swap, easy to play with, easy to maintain, and, in my experience, are a little more flexable.

But it's all preference. I think your guitar has a fine set of pups.
Quote by jm1681
Good, at least you're not one of the many sheep.

Your friend shoud've tried running them with 18V, I guarantee they'd still be in the guitar

We thought about it...but he had a Schecter Exotic running the JB/ 59 combo, and it quickly became his favorite to run through high gain amps for the clarity. I was willing to do the 18v mod for him. But oh well.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
I'll never knock the JB/59. Truth be told they are some of my favorite passives. I just hate the amount of hate people give EMGs (And so much of it really is genuine misinformation) and tend to attack at the sight of it

Sorry about that
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I personally like the EMG 81/85 set. I had that set in my LP and a set of SD JB and Jazz in my Ibanez, but what I found after a while is that even with the 18v mod on the EMG set I wanted more low end at the bridge overall and clarity playing clean on the neck, so I wound up swapping the EMG set in my LP for the SD set. I'm going to put the EMG set into my Iby though....

They're great pickups, but it's a matter of taste on whether you want a real edgy high end with the EMGs or a more even sound from the SD
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by Reildeal
...what I found after a while is that even with the 18v mod on the EMG set I wanted more low end at the bridge overall and clarity playing clean on the neck...
Should've just swapped their positions

85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck would've done exactly what you want
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by jm1681
Should've just swapped their positions

85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck would've done exactly what you want

Not quite... I tried that at one point and wasn't too happy with it. I wanted something else in my LP that would take advantage of the LP's tone a little more...

I may wind up doing that when I finish putting my Ibanez back together(in the process of refinishing it).... But not sure yet.. I still dig the 81/85 standard setup, just wanted something different in my LP.. I think it'll suit the Iby just fine..

The beautiful thing about the EMG wiring is the quick connects to the pickups hehe
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Reildeal
...The beautiful thing about the EMG wiring is the quick connects to the pickups hehe
Word.

Pickup swap in less than 5minutes.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头