What about 8 or even 7-string guitars?

Wouldnt their frequencies also be able to damage the amp?
This is a stupid question I realize, but I kinda wanna know where the line between safe and hazardous freqs is
I know Meshuggah play straight through PA. I think the main issue is making sure you've got a cab which has a good low-end.
the amp will be fine, the speaker gets damaged, but fairly slowly, and its only 2.5 steps down so not as low as a bass.

there are only 12 notes on a bass which are lower than you can play on a guitar anyway

unlucky if you own a digitech whammy though
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
yeahhh, there are some really low end (in pitch) amps that you can get but make sure your highs don't suffer either mate, you'll be surprised how much that's gonna piss you off
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the amp will be fine, the speaker gets damaged, but fairly slowly, and its only 2.5 steps down so not as low as a bass.

there are only 12 notes on a bass which are lower than you can play on a guitar anyway

unlucky if you own a digitech whammy though

It's not so much that there's only twelve notes lower on a bass its the fact that the thicker strings produce a much more powerful pulse if you get what I mean. Playing an E on the 12th fret of the E string of a bass will be much louder and thicker sounding than an open E on a guitar.

I wouldn't worry too much about causing damage to guitar speakers by using 7 or 8 string guitars though, the thickest string on an 8 string guitar is still thinner (or the same gauge) than the thinnest on a bass (around .045 - .050).
ALL THE PLAYERS ARE KEEN GRAVE MAKERS
But all standard cabs/amps should go to at least the A below the normal E, yes?
Quote by Centurion
It's not so much that there's only twelve notes lower on a bass its the fact that the thicker strings produce a much more powerful pulse if you get what I mean. Playing an E on the 12th fret of the E string of a bass will be much louder and thicker sounding than an open E on a guitar.

I wouldn't worry too much about causing damage to guitar speakers by using 7 or 8 string guitars though, the thickest string on an 8 string guitar is still thinner (or the same gauge) than the thinnest on a bass (around .045 - .050).

You're kidding right? I use .081 for A tuning on my 7. I play on the heavy side, but most 7-stringers will use at least a .060.

Meshuggah's 8-string guitars run at least that for the low F#. Certainly, not as thick sounding as a bass, but still getting there.

I think this whole thing of "you can't run a bass guitar through a guitar amp" bull**** started off with someone plugging in a bass to an MG or Spider. Amplifiers which, if you're determined enough, you can blow the speakers out on without a bass.

Playing bass through guitar amps will NOT kill (good) speakers unless you're already close to the edge. As in using a 120w cab with a 100w tube amp. I use my bass through my Valve Jr. frequently, (70w speaker vs. 5w amp), and hey, guess what. Still works. Definitely not a standard bass sound, but I wouldn't be plugging into a guitar amp if I wanted a standard bass sound.

A very nice sound can be had by bi-amping a bass into a clean bass rig, and a distorted guitar rig. Beautiful.
Last edited by The Atomic Ass at May 21, 2008,