Page 1 of 2
Okay, by good punk rock i mean sex pistols, the clash, the ramones, bad religion, NOFX, the misfits, green day, pennnywise, rancid also in spanish tr3s de corazon, al d tal, a77aque, deluxe, panda, alison, division minuscula, 2 minutos
and even a little bit of relient k.

I can think a lot of good punk rock guitar introductions, but cant think of any solos of these bands, I can just think of the one in Anarchy in the UK of the sex pistols.

My question is, does a guitar solo fit punk rock? or should the solo be drums?

Thank you for your help.

................./´ /)........./¯ //
..............,/¯// ........./...//
............./...//. ......./¯ //
.........../´¯/'´ ¯/´¯ /.../ /
........./'.../... ./... /.../ //
........('(...´(... ....... ,../'. .')
.........\.......... ..... ..\/..../
..........''...\.... ..... . _.•´
............\....... ..... ..(
..............\..... ..... ....
UPWARD STROKES ARE FOR LOOSERS.
Last edited by actaderock at May 21, 2008,
punk rock doesnt really have guitar solos...lots of bass solos and drum solos with like a consistent, fast, sounds cool but not really difficult guitar riff. some NOFX songs have solo's but not much other punk does. oh, 99 red balloons by goldfinger has one too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
why wouldn't a guitar solo fit punk?
they don't sound like the heavy metal solos that most people are used to but they are there.
Bad religion certainly has guitar solos!!!

maybe bands like green day don't have solos but im not sure of that, I can't sit trough any of their albums since their music is boring (or basic).
The Ramones have a few solos.
There's one in I Wanna Be Sedated
Green Day also does have solos. Worry Rock, Give me Novocaine, short solo in Wake me up when september ends...
Quote by odb56
yeah.. if the solos good...i also wanna say must punk sucks

aww man, what happened to subtillity... and creativity.
try something like this:

Punk
Underwear
Neverland
K'nex

Superman
Utility
Cows
K-1
Stamp
Don't tell me what good punk rock is. Especially when you listen to NOFX and Pennywise.

A lot of Thrash, Grind and Crust has pretty good solos. Mark Vermin from TMI also shreds pretty hard.

PS. Do a search we've had threads like this before.
NOFX and Bad Religion have sh-t tons of solos. As do most of the bands you listed. You must listen.

also:

THE DEAD BOYS bi-ch
I've seen one million toilets...

AND I ROCKED THEM ALL!
Last edited by †death_boy† at May 21, 2008,
*head hits desk at alarming velocity*

For a start, punk does have solos. Check The Clash, Television, New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, etc. etc.

Second, drum solos are never good.
EVER.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by SuperBlob
*head hits desk at alarming velocity*

For a start, punk does have solos. Check The Clash, Television, New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, etc. etc.

Second, drum solos are never good.
EVER.

lol wut about wipe out?
LOL WUT ABOUT RUSH?
two and a half men.
alot of punk uses solos. i think they just aren't very drawn out, flashy solos usually.
Oh dear gawd, is this thread really happening? >_<

How could you list the Clash and not think of any good solos? Complete Control only has the greatest solo ever written.

Also, listen to Richard Hell & The Voidoids. The guitar will blow your mind.
Quote by SuperBlob
Just for emphasis:

BLOW YOUR ****ING MIND!

PLUS FUCKING ONE!!

Voidoids, Heartbreakers or the New York Dolls, Television, Patti Smith Group had some good ones, didn't they?
And if you're into later punk...Dead Kennedys, Agent Orange, the Adolescents, the Dead Boys, etc.
You mention Green Day, and while not expressly punk, their side band the Foxboro Hot Tubs have some simple yet effective solos that I dig.
DOWN&OUT
The Ergs have quite a bit of solos. At least in dorkrockcorkrod

Quote by odb56
yeah.. if the solos good...i also wanna say must punk sucks

oh, really? I'm sure you're the utmost authority on punk bands and I'm sure you've heard a ton of punk bands... I'm sure you're also really mature and have a broad taste in music. I bet you're really cool and have lots of friends.

Grow up...

Tons of punk bands use solos effectively. Punk doesn't need a long, flashy solo that's nothing more than guitar wankery. When done right, a punk solo fits into the structure of a song much better than a 10 minute long guitar circle jerk in a metal song.
Any retard who knows anything at all about punk rock knows that lots of punk bands use solos.

What a stupid ****ing question and, as usual, the first page of responses is chock full of pure bull****.

Why the hell do threads like these always attract responses from idiots who don't know anything about punk rock? Why? What about them makes people who've only ever heard one or two songs from The Ramones and/or The Clash and/or The Sex Pistols suddenly see themselves as scholars on the subject?
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
I think threads like these just attract morons, like ants to anything slightly sugary
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by SuperBlob
I think threads like these just attract morons, like ants to anything slightly sugary

Like wasps to honey

Cookies for the reference-getters.
the dead boys have a lot of solos. and theres that epic one at the beginning of aint it fun.

Jack my swag
Quote by original=punk
I love this forum.

We love you too Jawn!

Quote by CowsWithGuns
Why the hell do threads like these always attract responses from idiots who don't know anything about punk rock? Why? What about them makes people who've only ever heard one or two songs from The Ramones and/or The Clash and/or The Sex Pistols suddenly see themselves as scholars on the subject?

It's because these threads show up on the front page when they're new, so everyone sees them, and goes "Oh, I've heard a few punk songs. I'll just act like I know my **** so I can up my post count!"
Angel City Outcasts have the best solos in punk, in my opinion.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Quote by sargasm
Like wasps to honey

Cookies for the reference-getters.

*takes cookies*
I knew there was something I was thinking of
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Alot of MODERN punk solos are just like over-dubs of the riff = Gay.

But if you can nail a good solo it'll fit fine.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by actaderock
Okay, by good punk rock i mean sex pistols, the clash, the ramones, bad religion, NOFX, the misfits, green day, pennnywise, rancid also in spanish tr3s de corazon, al d tal, a77aque, deluxe, panda, alison, division minuscula, 2 minutos
and even a little bit of relient k.

Solos of the bands you mentioned:

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
The Clash - Complete Control (brilliant solo)
Ramones - Now I wanna sniff some glue
Bad Religion - **** armageddon this is hell
Nofx - Perfect government
Green Day - Wake me up when....... (**** this song)
Pennywise - Long Road
Rancid - Axiom
Quote by neidnarb11890

It's because these threads show up on the front page when they're new, so everyone sees them, and goes "Oh, I've heard a few punk songs. I'll just act like I know my **** so I can up my post count!"

Damn ya got me.

On topic, loads of punk songs have solos, the difference is most punk bands use solos to compliment the existing music as opposed to showing off how great they are.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
El Hefe's solo in NOFX's "Seperation of Church and Skate" is great. it's not to complicated, but it sounds good and fits in perfectly. also, Rise Against's solo in "Paper Wings" is another example.
Also, listen to The Boys first album.

That has some badass guitar
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Quote by RockThe40oz
oh, really? I'm sure you're the utmost authority on punk bands and I'm sure you've heard a ton of punk bands... I'm sure you're also really mature and have a broad taste in music. I bet you're really cool and have lots of friends.

Grow up...

Tons of punk bands use solos effectively. Punk doesn't need a long, flashy solo that's nothing more than guitar wankery. When done right, a punk solo fits into the structure of a song much better than a 10 minute long guitar circle jerk in a metal song.

+1, look at Rancid, good punk with cool solos, maybe not the hardest solos, but it sounds good
I think that punk should have solos cos it makes it melodic f.e. Sum 41 chic band has a lot of solos and it's very good. Solo makes punk more interesting and different...
Yeah, a ton of punk solos, I hate how people who have just heard the Ramones and The Sex Pistols say it doesn't.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
theres a good bit of punk rock with guitar solos....just look at Bad Religion and NOFX, I think Pennywise even has a solo from time to time....lots of punk does.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Alot of bands do, it's not like they're all trying to follow each other and imitate everyone elses' techiniques. Late 70's and early 80's, and post and proto punk bands did have alot guitar solos for sure, but not ever really having solos over 5 seconds long. And replace your definition of 'Good' with 'Mainstream'. There, now it's a proper question.

The first Stooges album had alot of solos in the 60s. Then again, mostly anything iggy pop is related to has alot of guitar solos, A LOT. And they should have alot more credit of being the first punk band before any of the other obvious ones that barely even started in the early 70's.
Last edited by dookie_dude_ at May 22, 2008,
Quote by dookie_dude_
Alot of bands do, it's not like they're all trying to follow each other and imitate everyone elses' techiniques. Late 70's and early 80's, and post and proto punk bands did have alot guitar solos for sure, but not ever really having solos over 5 seconds long. And replace your definition of 'Good' with 'Mainstream'. There, now it's a proper question.

The first Stooges album had alot of solos in the 60s. Then again, mostly anything iggy pop is related to has alot of guitar solos, A LOT. And they should have alot more credit of being the first punk band before any of the other obvious ones that barely even started in the early 70's.

the stooges self titled has some of my favorite solos ever

Jack my swag
Page 1 of 2