So yeah, i have my music GSCE's coming up next year, I want to do something special To really show how much i love playing/singing music.
I've chose stairway because of originality and because i've been brought up by my zeppelin-heads as parents
I've not been playing guitar for long, say a couple of months, i just need to know - Is it possible for me to be able to play the entire song? Acoustic/Electric Including the solo In the space of a year? I will try hard of course
All help will be tooken in , thanks >:3
I've chose stairway because of originality

What?

I've not been playing guitar for long, say a couple of months, i just need to know - Is it possible for me to be able to play the entire song? Acoustic/Electric Including the solo In the space of a year? I will try hard of course

There's no reason you couldn't. The quality of your practice is vastly more important than the quantity.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Stairway is nothing special. Probaby a 3rd of music students will be playing it as part of their performance.

Choose something more unknown.
Last edited by webbtje at May 21, 2008,
you can learn it... if you have a year. and work pretty hard at it. personally, i would pick an easier song to start out learning
it depends on how well you pick up fingerpicking. it took me a while, but if you have an entire year, theres no reason you shouldnt be able to. i wouldnt pick stairway, tho. its way overdone....
do all twelve guitar tracks in achilles last stand

A* fo sho
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
'Nine out of ten people actually enjoy gang rape.'
Thanks for the help guys
So you think Stairway wouldn't be a good choice?
I have a drummer also so it isn't a "solo" song.
And i think Achilles last stand would be out of my league Xd
Quote by ooblueoo
Thanks for the help guys
So you think Stairway wouldn't be a good choice?
I have a drummer also so it isn't a "solo" song.
And i think Achilles last stand would be out of my league Xd

its easier than it sounds plus youve got a year

theres no reason not to
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
'Nine out of ten people actually enjoy gang rape.'
What about Whole lotta love? Everyone will know the tune so it's not so In the dark
Thanks for the helps everyone
Quote by webbtje
Stairway is nothing special. Probaby a 3rd of music students will be playing it as part of their performance.

Choose something more unknown.

yeah, agreed, I was gunna do it but then I didn't bother, coz I knew loads of people would be doing it, and coz it didn't display all my abilities as a player. I ended up doing Master Of Puppets as a solo piece and Aesthetics of Hate as a group one.
Quote by \m/Gaz
yeah, agreed, I was gunna do it but then I didn't bother, coz I knew loads of people would be doing it, and coz it didn't display all my abilities as a player. I ended up doing Master Of Puppets as a solo piece and Aesthetics of Hate as a group one.

Thanks, You're helping me alot Maybe I have picked the wrong choice
Quote by ooblueoo
Thanks, You're helping me alot Maybe I have picked the wrong choice

hmmm.... what kind of music do you like listening to? You gotta enjoy playing it!
Quote by \m/Gaz
hmmm.... what kind of music do you like listening to? You gotta enjoy playing it!

I love Death metal, grindcore, Thrash - The loud stuff XD , It's just that no one else likes it haha.
So i't's a bit of a hard decision on what song
The reason i thought of Led zep is that i look up to them Loaaads lol

Edit - spelling
Quote by ooblueoo
I love Death metal, grindcore, Thrash - The loud stuff XD , It's just that no one else likes it haha.
So i't's a bit of a hard decision on what song
The reason i thought of Led zep is that i look up to them Loaaads lol

Edit - spelling

hmmm.... is the drummer any good?

if he isn't, playing DM could be a problem
If you've got a year to practice will it be with the drummer?

If it is don't just concentrate on one song. Pick about 5 songs you like and 5 songs they like (to prevent boredom more than anything else) then even after only a couple of sessions there'll be one or two songs that stand out.

Have you given any thought to either playing something by a 2-piece (White Stripes, Black Keys etc.) or stripping down and maybe even slowing down a more well known song? I love the acoustic version of No One Knows by QOTSA as much as the original.

As for which particular song you should play... it's up to you fella, but you've got to love playing it (100 or so practices later...)
Quote by Rush_Freewill
you can learn it... if you have a year. and work pretty hard at it. personally, i would pick an easier song to start out learning

Like Freewill, by Rush?
Yes, i have the whole year to practice with the drummer - He is Good, It was his idea to play stairway XD His other idea was Echoes. But we're not sure if we can do that with just us two? (I will sing if i get desperate enough >.< And yes, i will indeed try easier songs before.
Thanks so much for the help, appreciated.
There's too many tracks on stairway, most noobies can probably
learn the accoustic part. The pentatonic scale Jimmy use to play the solo
is not hard to learn...but making it sound like Jimmy is another story.lol

Maybe try the immigrant song. It's metal and there's no lead guitars.
Plus it's easy to play.

Over the hill and far away, Heartbreaker, Blackdog
are probably eaier to pull off with only one guitar than stair way.

even 2112/tempo of syrinx by rush is probably easier to pull off with only
one guitar. plus your drummer will love it.lol
Last edited by Ordinary at May 21, 2008,
If you have a year, you can play any song you set your mind to, you'll be surprised at just how fast you learn entire songs through.
Man... Signatures are hard to come up with!
Quote by \m/Gaz
Actually, comment about reminded me, Immigrant song would be a good one to do, but maybe wouldn't show a great deal of technical guitar playing.

Are you kidding? If I were one of them and someone walked in, played a basic octave for 30-60 seconds, played a couple of open major chords, and then repeated, I would probably say "NEXT." At most I would laugh at them.

There are Green Day songs harder than that.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
Are you kidding? If I were one of them and someone walked in, played a basic octave for 30-60 seconds, played a couple of open major chords, and then repeated, I would probably say "NEXT." At most I would laugh at them.

There are Green Day songs harder than that.

That's what I was saying, there ISNT a lot of technical guitar playing, re-read it and you may get it
aint it fun by guns n roses
thats an amazing song
and the guitar is very easy but its sounds insane
Quote by Rush_Freewill
yeah like freewill by rush

*reported*

Don't resurect dead threads, especially if you don't have anything worthwhile to say.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.