hey,
I've never had a floyd rose tremolo system before...and i picked up a used squier stagemaster hsh the other day. The strings were way high off the fretboard and i like things like ibanez...nice and close to the fretboard...so i read that to fix that you tighten the springs...
well before realizing what the mechanics of that would do i did it and detuned it..tried to retune...noticed it wasn't holding the tune...so then i set the springs back because i realized all that did was lower the tremolo it seemed...
and now everything is ONE HOT MESS...
so...i tried to find somebody to fix it for me and nobody wants to...or they have 1 repair guy that will take a month to get to it ...
looks like i'm on my own...
so my primary question is that of the string height and about the springs in the back...i have 3..which gauge string should i use? i'm guessing medium would be ok..that's what i usually use (fender bullets, medium)
any help and advice you guys can give would be awesome
to adjust the action use the 2 bolts at the side of the system that it pivots around and the spring tension and tuning you just have to keep tuning it and fidling with the springs till it sorts its self out
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
I don't really know man.
You was doing the right thing , have no idea why it went so wrong.
Unless it's a squier.

In that case , there's no explanation needed
Last edited by Evil_Magician at May 21, 2008,
well on the "device" it says licensed under floyd rose patents..its painted black...and when i looked up the guitar (stats from 2000) it says it came equipped with a floyd rose. Wish i could take a picture of it...it does have a hole on either side that looks like i could put an allen wrench in it.
The thing that I'm really puzzled about is the 3 screws at the nut of the guitar...i have that and then a bar about half an inch onto the headboard that's connected by tiny screws...
the way i went about tuning it...(think i did it right, may not have) is i loosened up the screw at the nut (not the bar thingy with the tiny screws) and tuned 2 strings at a time cos i noticed that you can't tune them all at once....
i bought the tools to restring it today (i didnt have a jewelers screwdriver)...
maybe once i restring it, it may make more sense..no?
i heard taking these guitars out of tune is a bitch...i really wanted this guitar to play pantera on...cos my other guitar is always in standard and i play mostly metallica, some megadeth...soundgarden and stuff like that...
Quote by Evil_Magician
I don't really know man.
You was doing the right thing , have no idea why it went so wrong.
Unless it's a squier.

In that case , there's no explanation needed

No, he wasn't.

Quote by prison sex
to adjust the action use the 2 bolts at the side of the system that it pivots around and the spring tension and tuning you just have to keep tuning it and fidling with the springs till it sorts its self out

this is is the right thing - you don't need to go near the springs for an action adjustment.

TS, read the Floyd sticky - restring it with 9's and I'm afraid you're out of luck as far as changing tunings goes, you need to pick one and stick with it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No, he wasn't.

this is is the right thing - you don't need to go near the springs for an action adjustment.

TS, read the Floyd sticky - restring it with 9's and I'm afraid you're out of luck as far as changing tunings goes, you need to pick one and stick with it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

True.

Wasn't really concentrated when i read his post.

TS

It's really never a bitch to detune it etc. when you learn how to do that.
hey,
thanks for all your help...i just got finished..it took me like an hour and a half but i figured everything out and once i got into it..it made a lot more sense..i saw how you need to balance the springs with the strings in order to get the perfect tone and keep it form slipping
thanks again
Hi there, l've owned one of these since new,so l might be able to help.
my model is red with HSH pickups a white 3/4 scratchplate and a chrome Floyd Rose.

My guitar arrived with a high action, so here's what l did
1. unscrew and remove the back plate.
2. unscrew the nut allen screws and lay the clamps to one side in the order you removed them, so you can replace them back in exactly the same position
3. detune the strings completly and remove.
4. polish the frets and clean & polish the rosewood fretboard.
5. take a screwdriver and turn the Floyd spring screws 360 degrees anti clockwise once.
6. replace the strings with Ernie Ball super slinkys with a 00.9 top.
7 turn the Floyd fine tuners anti clockwise to about half way open.
8. tune the guitar with the main tuners on the headstock to concert pitch
9, when tuned check that the baseplate of the Floyd unit is flush/level with the top of. the guitar.
10.if the Floyd unit is tilted with the back end up, turn the Floyd spring screws clockwise a little at a time until the unit is level on top
11.Once you have done this and the action is still high, you can turn the main Floyd anker.hight screws clockwise HALF a turn at a time intil you have the strings low enough
12.keep tuning the strings each time you do this to concert pitch, to balance the tention between the strings and the springs.
13 once you are happy with the action, replace the nut clamps and fine tune.
14. if the action is too low turn the main Floyd hight screws a quarter turn clockwise.
15. if you do this strings will be sharp and you'll need to lower the pitch down a bit.
!6 if some of the strings ground ( usualy on the top e at the octave or higher)
you'll need to have the frets dressed so the are all an even hight.

l hope l have been of some help.
Robert Crowe
Last edited by ROBERT CROWE at May 22, 2008,
You shouldn't remove the locking nut clamps fully, just loosen them. There's also no reason whatsoever to touch the bridge screws unless the bridge isn't parallel, you certainly shouldn't recommend just arbitrarily turning them 360 degrees just for the hell of it. Finally, always replace strings one by one on a Floyd unless you're doing something like a pickup swap.

Don't get me wrong, there's some good stuff in there...just one or two bits are slightly misinformed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i need some help guys. i have an ibanez RG350DX and my whammy bar keeps falling out. how do i tighten it down?
i have a brand new dean vendetta and the damn thing pops when ever I dive. the nuts are not over tightened and it stays in tune and the action is fine. WTF? This is the first floyd rose tremolo guitar ive owned. Can anybody help me out?