I'm going to be changing the pickups in my Epiphone G-400, since the stock pickups just aren't cutting it.

I've decided on probably a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro in the neck, but I'm clueless on bridge pickups. I currently have a Gibson BurstBucker #3 (the hottest one) in the bridge of my Les Paul, and that's almost good enough, but for the SG I would like something a little bit hotter. I can't tell what this would be though since Gibson don't say the technical specs of their pickups, so for example I don't know if a DC Resistance of 16.4k would be much higher, just right, or not high enough, compared to the Gibson BurstBucker (which I'm using as my 'measuring stick').

The sort of area I'd like to aim for is a kind of 80's rock (e.g. KISS or Whitesnake) tones, but also the ability to do something a little bit cleaner like a mid 90's Bon Jovi or a late 70's AC/DC tone. So probably something fairly hot, but not heavy metal hot. Totally clean tones are irrelevant as I never use the bridge pickup 100% clean. I don't want to use active pickups either, it needs to be passive.

My other problem is I want it to match the rest of my guitar's hardware, so it needs to be available in the UK with a gold cover.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
A home-made basic head with an old Fender cab for gigging (it's nothing special basically), and for practise a little Fender combo (Champion 600). I mostly use artifical overdrive and distortion pedals rather than using amp overdrive.

I'm completely happy with my amps, cables and pedals when I'm using my BurstBucker-equipped LP, and I don't want to change any of that gear for the sake of this one pickup. It's just the muddy stock Epi SG pickups that are the problem.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I like the sound of DiMarzio DP100's for 80's rock stuff, but the most important thing in 80's rock imho is having good valve distortion, even moreso than what humbucker to use...

Another suggestion for humbuckers would be PAF's or PAF Pro's.
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20
hey
i'm pretty sure ace frehley used a dimarzio super distortion if you're after that classic kiss sound.
^Mention classic 80s humbucker and thats what springs to mind
Shut up and play your guitar!
The Duncan JB would be my choice over the MODERN Super Distortion, which is a bit different than the older one in sound. Newer ones are kind of stale sounding imo, and lack a lot of presence, which is key for 80's shred. The JB has all that in spades. Another option is a DiMarzio ToneZone or an old Jackson J80 or J90C USA pickup.
give tim a bell are bareknuckles, all the tone you want, and great cleans
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
For an SG I'd go for the Duncan Custom 5 - if you want flat out raunchy, no-nonsense rock tones that's the one to go for. The Breeds worth a look too but it might be a little too fat and warm, and for a UK based option there's the Swineshead Warthog.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
dimarzio super distortion
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I second the warthog, great pickup for what you're after!
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
+1 on the warthog, it's really nice.

My miracle man also does an awesome 80s thing, but it's not as good for the lighter stuff you're after as well- but bareknuckle would doubtless be worth a look as some of their other pickups could probably do what you're after.

depends where you are though- if you aren't in the UK, there might be better-value options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ooftymcgoofty
hey
i'm pretty sure ace frehley used a dimarzio super distortion if you're after that classic kiss sound.

dude ace frehley sucks
and dimarzio is nothing but crap
^

Anyways... If your in the UK, Bareknuckle, if your not. i suggest a ToneZone or Super Distortion. PAF Pro from DiMarzio might be nice, but its a bit fuzzy imo. (tonewise, not indecision) i suggest testing out a Ibanez PGM301, and a B.C Rich Gunslinger Retro to get a basic sound of the two pickups (PAF Pro and Super Distortion respectively)
Speaking of high output Dimarzio's, my 80's style facemelter has a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge...and depending on how much of a crunch you want / need that thing is a great pickup....
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20
Quote by ZC3rr0r
I like the sound of DiMarzio DP100's for 80's rock stuff, but the most important thing in 80's rock imho is having good valve distortion, even moreso than what humbucker to use...

Another suggestion for humbuckers would be PAF's or PAF Pro's.

80s was where the tube almost died. Alot of those hair metal dudes switched to solid state rack systems... The group that stuck with tubes pretty much played Marshalls with Tubescreamers and Distortion pedals in front of them - both of which are an extra, solid state gain stage and will take away from the tubeishness of the tone.

I would suggest the Duncan JB, as that's about the most 80's pickup you can imagine. Bright, honky, clear, almost all upper midrange, little bass. That's basically describing every 80's hair metal tone at once..
Last edited by TimmyPage06 at May 21, 2008,
Quote by TimmyPage06
80s was where the tube almost died. Alot of those hair metal dudes switched to solid state rack systems... The group that stuck with tubes pretty much played Marshalls with Tubescreamers and Distortion pedals in front of them - both of which are an extra, solid state gain stage and will take away from the tubeishness of the tone.

I would suggest the Duncan JB, as that's about the most 80's pickup you can imagine. Bright, honky, clear, almost all upper midrange, little bass. That's basically describing every 80's hair metal tone at once..

To some extent...I agree, Peavey for example went completely SS during those days, but on the other hand, the 80's saw some great tube amps and pre-amps like my ADA.
ADA MP-1 fanatic!

Rig:
ADA MP-1 (stock)
TC Electronic G-Major
Marshall El84 20/20