I've hardly been playing guitar at all recently, cos I have major exams soon. I picked up today hoping to play along to some songs, and well...I just couldn't. I was so out of practice, it was like I had never played. My speed has gone to ****.

What should I do after my exams to get back to the level where I was? Go back to basics, warm up more, or just try and play through the frustration and keep playing the songs I was playing before the practice eased off?

Argh, this is driving me crazy!!
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join
Theres a few vids on this site from that Kris Dahl guy called What to Play When You Suck. Take a look at that stuff, a few good exercises in there.
getting back to basics is always a good idea, just don't dwell in the basics.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Just promise yourself to practice for at least 30 minutes a day, at least.
Everything will be back to how it was before, you just need to get your finger/hand muscles back into practice
Just warm up for a while. It happens to me every tuesday... I do all this practice over the weekend then almost nothing on Monday. So on tuesday I'm all slow, after like 40 mins it's all back though...
Same thing happened to me after taking two weeks off for studying. It'll come back to you in a few days of good practice, don't worry. You don't lose muscle memory very easily.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Keep playing and don't lose heart. Take a song you already know and just jam along with it! And maybe learn some easier songs to warm up and get into shape slowly again.

I also highly advise practicing some exercises along with a metronome to get your fingers and picking synchronized and good.
Thanks guys!
Jackson KV2
Epiphone SG-Special
Freshman FA1 AWR
Roland Cube 15

Member of
'girls of UG club’
PM Noxiosimitator to join