Im looking to buy a new guitar with a floyd rose. I was loooking at ibanez. How much better are ofr's than lfr's? What is a good ibanez under 800$, I was thinking this...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG350MDX-Electric-Guitar-518871-i1167862.gc
Would you buy this guitar?

On a side note, do you think its possible/how much would it cost/is it practical, to put a floyd rose on my sg?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Not very practical to both questions.

The RG350MDX, while having a kick ass maple fretboard, has an Edge III trem which isn't a great trem. If this is your first trem guitar, I would avoid that guitar and get something like an Ibanez S320 or an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige. They both have awesome trems, and the RG1570 is of Prestige quality.

If you do get that guitar, I would keep the trem in good condition and maintaining it well, and replace the pickups.

As for installing a tremelo onto your SG, that would involve lots of work like replacing the nute, cutting a cavity for your trem and at the back for springs. I wouldn't do it.

If you want to read up on Ibanez trems, click here.
Quote by sdhupelia
If your price range is $800, I wouldn't look at a $400 lower-level guitar. For $800 I would buy this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar-519965-i1150869.gc

I think higher-end Ibanez RG's and any Ibanez Prestige are just the greatest, honestly. Very versatile, and I use them for any style of music, period, without changing a single part of the guitar.

+1

and no, it'd probably just be cheaper to get a guitar with a FR
Oh, also, I've had a few different types of floating trems, and honestly I think a lot of people might just be more nit-picky about things than me, because I don't see THAT much difference in them. Some people prefer where you route your strings from the back, versus the front, or vice-versa, depending on what type of convenience vs. sustain you want, but on my current guitars (Ibanez JEM and Jackson SL1 Soloist), the Jem is a Licensed, while the Jackson is Original, and while they look different, I change strings on them almost identically, and the sustain and quality seems equal to me. I don't worry too much about the "type" of floating trem on a guitar, as long as I know there are no major bad reviews about quality/breakage.
Quote by Mwoit
The RG350MDX, while having a kick ass maple fretboard, has an Edge III trem which isn't a great trem. If this is your first trem guitar, YOU PLAN ON PLAYING THIS GUITAR AND NOT JUST HANGING IT ON YOUR WALL, I would avoid that guitar and get something like an Ibanez S320 or an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige. They both have awesome trems, and the RG1570 is of Prestige quality.

better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sdhupelia
Oh, also, I've had a few different types of floating trems, and honestly I think a lot of people might just be more nit-picky about things than me, because I don't see THAT much difference in them. Some people prefer where you route your strings from the back, versus the front, or vice-versa, depending on what type of convenience vs. sustain you want, but on my current guitars (Ibanez JEM and Jackson SL1 Soloist), the Jem is a Licensed, while the Jackson is Original, and while they look different, I change strings on them almost identically, and the sustain and quality seems equal to me. I don't worry too much about the "type" of floating trem on a guitar, as long as I know there are no major bad reviews about quality/breakage.

you eejit, your jem has an edge pro/edge or lo-pro edge, i.e. that's also a quality trem.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?