So I have a 150w crate head and I need to buy a cab. First of all will lower ratings of cabs(e.g 120w) work with a 150w watt head. Second, what are some good cabs out there? I've seen peavey, orange, marshall and crate. I've heard of one really crappy kind by marshall, what kind was that. Thanks for any advice
don't try going lower wattage handling, you'll blow up ur head.

what model is it? if it's SS then prolly not worth it. if it's a tube crate head (dunno if there is one that's 150 watts) then get urself as nice a cab as possible. Vader and Mesa have nice cabs i hear.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
what is an SS? The head is a powerblock, it sounds pretty good I've heard it hooked up to a peavey but I'm not sure if there's anything better?

before you rip on it know I got it for free.
solid state i take it that that dosent take tubes
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
SS is short for solid state, meaning it doesn't use tubes... since u have a powerblock then you have a SS... as for cabs i can't really comment in my opinion it never hearts to match the head with a crate cabinet which wont be too expensive, plus getting an expensive cab with a solid lower quality solid state head isn't really worth it unless you feel you're going to upgrade your head soon.
yea i'd only use that through a PA system but i wouldn't buy a cab SOLELY for it. if i were you i'd start setting aside a fund for a tube amp (cliche'? well there's a reason obviously) and just use it through a PA system if you're playing somewhere. maybe buy a really cheap 2X12 cab for it, but i wouldn't go all out for that thing. that'd be similar to buying a really nice cab for a pocket POD...

hope you get something you like regardless!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
SS is short for solid state, meaning it doesn't use tubes... since u have a powerblock then you have a SS... as for cabs i can't really comment in my opinion it never hearts to match the head with a crate cabinet which wont be too expensive, plus getting an expensive cab with a solid lower quality solid state head isn't really worth it unless you feel you're going to upgrade your head soon.

I've been playing on a tiny 15w/my stereo and yeah I think might upgrade the head in the near future so I can play live shows. I got the head for free and now that I actually have a band situation going I'd rather get a good cab and upgrade the head later as opposed to upgrading both later.
You wont blow your head using a cab with a lower power rating, you may if the impedance doesnt match, (ohms) or not using a safe mismatch . You would just need to use it at low volumes (still not advisable)
But as mentioned, no point buying a very good cabinet for that thing, oh by the way SS = solid state (amps that use transistors or FET's to amplify the signal, instead of vacuum tubes).
But tube combo is the way forward for you if you want to upgrade...
Don't bash him guys. Anything's better than a ****ty starter amp, and he got it for free to boot.

Like GoDrex suggested, check out Avatar cabs, they're the best in their price range.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
A 212 with a couple of G12T-75s should work well for you.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
i haven't seen any bashing here...just advice.

i'd say just get a really nice 2X12 cab.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i haven't seen any bashing here...just advice.

i'd say just get a really nice 2X12 cab.

I agree, thank you very much for the help, UG's come full circle over the years.
ok to resurrect this thread, I have got the 150w powerblock.

"This is a 150W Solid State power amp designed by SLM Eletronics in St. Louis, MO and manufactured in China.
On the front: Input jack, headphone jack, 5 knobs: Gain, High, Mid, Low, Level
On the back: Mono & R&L Stereo speaker outputs 75W RMS per side -4ohms. w/ a "Bridge Mono" @150W - 8ohms. button. Cd RCA inputs, Output level knob, Line Out XLR jack, Line in stereo or mono/effects loop snd/rtn, power button, AC Line in for the power cord.
"

I am planning on getting the G12T75s that are 75w each. I am trying to figure out how to get the right ohm ratings so I don't screw this up. Any advice would be much appreciated.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Contemporary%20212.htm

would this setup work for my head without exploding it?
Last edited by farcry at Nov 28, 2008,