is there a way i can do this?

i am using audacity to record and i have a mixer plugged into my computer. the mics/amp line out cables/etc go from the mixer to wherever they go. is there a way i can record and have it record separate things on separate tracks? for example, i have a behringer 210 going from the line jack to the mixer and a mic going from the mixer. could i make it record the amp on one track, but record drums using the mic on a different track?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Sorry, no. The mixer will mix the tracks into one stereo (though it may be mono in your case) track. If you want separation of your tracks, try getting a USB or firewire interface.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
look into getting an mbox pro, comes with pro tools. way easier to use
empty the bullets from the chamber
alright thanks for the quick responses guys
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Dauntless
look into getting an mbox pro, comes with pro tools. way easier to use

What, Pro Tools is easier to use than Audacity? Or the M Box is easier to use than his mixer? Because in no way can the former be true.

And in my opinion, there's better than the M Box for the price.
There is poetry in despair.
actually, if you have an rca to stereo 1/8 plug, you can plug one rca into each seperate channel on your mixer and then record from the left source and right source in your recording program and get 2 tracks of different stuff.

i do it all the time to record acoustic and vocals on seperate tracks since i'm better at singing while i'm playing. tho i also like using to to just record acoustic with 2 mics and pan them for a really full sound.

i use sonar 6 and an 24 channel mixing board tho...i dunno if you can do that with your set up.
well i have a 16 channel yamaha mixer. i think i could do that. ill look into getting that cable

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Its best to use an interface but if you have a mixer handy, run the main out to your line in.
use two mics or two mono channels, pan one hard L and the other hard R.
you may have to use Reaper but you can use a stereo input to record two mono tracks at one time.

An interface is the most common piece of gear to get when recording. It will give you high quality on audio and low latency monitoring. I suggest looking into them and staying away form mixers.