so iv been playing a couple of weeks and all of a sudden my guitar was a mess, mainly due to a buzzing which occurs whenever i play anything everytime i pick a string it just buzzzzess for ages and sounds horrible, basically it sucked. So i decided to take it to a guitar shop nearby they said they could sort it out no worries and charged me £27 and said it would take a day, so i went back today picked up my guitar and the guy said it was good as new and the buzzing has gone he played something to show me but i couldnt really hear him due to the noise in the shop so i just assumed it was all good and came home tuned it up and played a chord and its exactly the same, he hasnt done a thing it just rattles and rattles and really ruins playing. Im so angry im going to go back there 2moro and complain, anyone else have a service like this? and also do you think its best i wait a while before i go and complain? could it just be that the strings are new and so arent great yet?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at May 21, 2008,
its probably your playing that causes it to buzz
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
take it in there asap after a few days maybe even the next theyll assume youre ****ing around and keep damagaing it, have him play it to see and then for the love of god dont just assume its alright when you cant hear it, play it for at least 5 minutes yourself before taking it out of the shop
Don't you try and ask me your expiration date
Plans that forgot me 99 times
you'll be the one who opens the gate.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Founder of the UG RHPS fanclub....

to join simply amend sig..
Quote by Big Floyd
does your guitar have a floyd?

his gears in his sig
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
its not that noticable through the amp but because my amp is quiet and can hear it if you know what i mean. I dont think it is my playing as my friend who has played guitar for years gets the rattleing as well, but maybe it is, what kind of playing would cause it? it mainly occurs when playing nearer the first fret but when strumming open it also happens.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by tdrules
his gears in his sig

because its so easy to tell whether an electric guitar has a floyd rose or not just by reading the brand name and model number.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Are the locking nuts tight? Try slackening off your truss rod?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Nacho Cheese!
It may be the amp. Play it without the amp and see how it sounds.

yeh without the amp its more noticeable, it sounds like its coming from inside the neck if that makes sense, its rattles down it after the note is heard and then there is a short buzz when i lift off. im pretty sure its not my playing as it never happened when i first got the guitar only started about a week after getting it.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by m4l666
Are the locking nuts tight? Try slackening off your truss rod?

okay what exactly are the locking nuts and how do i tighten them and isnt touching the truss rod a bit risky? the thing is it definetly looks like the tech has opened up the bit on the headstock (Thats where the truss rod is right?) so i assume he has done something with it.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
yeh without the amp its more noticeable, it sounds like its coming from inside the neck if that makes sense, its rattles down it after the note is heard and then there is a short buzz when i lift off. im pretty sure its not my playing as it never happened when i first got the guitar only started about a week after getting it.

your nut is too low you can fix it bytaking it off and regluing with some sort of small riser or if you don't know how take it in and have them do it.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

I am guessing it is due to the truss rod/action. Go to a guitar shop and make sure they adjust everything correctly. By making sure I mean testing it afterwards in the shop.
Quote by TenaciousLSD
your nut is too low you can fix it bytaking it off and regluing with some sort of small riser or if you don't know how take it in and have them do it.

you reckon? okay well i wish they had told me that in the shop instead of just saying its perfect and the buzzing has gone. would of happily paid extra to have the job done right, i know i should have tried it myself but they were closing at the time and he seemed pretty confident it was fixed so i had no reason to doubt him, its his shop afterall so i wouldnt of thought he would do a bodged job. Il go back 2moro and just see what they say.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
I am guessing it is due to the truss rod/action. Go to a guitar shop and make sure they adjust everything correctly. By making sure I mean testing it afterwards in the shop.

first fret buzz is the nut not the action you try adjusting it and you'll break the guitar. if the action was bas enough for first fret buzz it would be buzzing everywhere

Edit: If you can do it yourself a new nut i s only like 5 bucks but you'll have to sand it down right which is the tricky part, fyi, dont glue it to the headstock but rather the end of the neck so next time you have to replace it it won't tear the grain on the wood (learned that the hard way)

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Last edited by TenaciousLSD at May 21, 2008,
Actually, slackening the truss rod will make the tuning go all dodgy.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

yeh it is mainly at the first fret looking closely at the headstock there does appear to be some glue residue and it smells like fresh glue so perhaps he did replace it?

edit: i think im just gunna keep playing it tonight and retuning it and then playing it again and see if it improves and if not ask them about it 2moro and if it comes down to it ask them to replace the nut for free.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Last edited by lwayneio at May 21, 2008,
Quote by TenaciousLSD
first fret buzz is the nut not the action you try adjusting it and you'll break the guitar. if the action was bas enough for first fret buzz it would be buzzing everywhere

I'm pretty sure he was talking about more then just the first fret considering he said in the first post that it is buzzing everywhere.......

Also, adjusting the action wont break the guitar. Action is the distance of the strings from the neck no? In which adjusting the saddle(s) would raise lower the action and in some cases where tension is the problem the truss rod would/could be adjusted to fix it. Maybe I am completely wrong but it is just what I have picked up.
i tried adjusting the action myself before i took it to the shop but it didnt change anything no matter how high or low i set it, so i assume it is the nut or the neck, its all a bit depressing really i just bought a few books as well so that i could start learning but i havent even been able to enjoy playing yet cos every sounds bad. hopefully the people at the shop will be helpful 2moro
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
I'm pretty sure he was talking about more then just the first fret considering he said in the first post that it is buzzing everywhere.......

Also, adjusting the action wont break the guitar. Action is the distance of the strings from the neck no? In which adjusting the saddle(s) would raise lower the action and in some cases where tension is the problem the truss rod would/could be adjusted to fix it. Maybe I am completely wrong but it is just what I have picked up.

no adjusting t action by way of bridge saddles wont damage it but i was responding to the truss rod comment, if its already tight enough to be buzzing then tightening it more does have a good chance of damage, also bridge saddles are too far away to do anything about the first few frets

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Quote by TenaciousLSD
no adjusting t action by way of bridge saddles wont damage it but i was responding to the truss rod comment, if its already tight enough to be buzzing then tightening it more does have a good chance of damage, also bridge saddles are too far away to do anything about the first few frets

You can loosen the truss rod...
Quote by lwayneio
okay what exactly are the locking nuts and how do i tighten them and isnt touching the truss rod a bit risky? the thing is it definetly looks like the tech has opened up the bit on the headstock (Thats where the truss rod is right?) so i assume he has done something with it.

your guitar doesn't have a locking nut, these other eejits here see the name "ibanez" and immediately assume it has a floyd.

i'd take it back to the shop, tell them it seems to be the same as it was. sounds like the truss-rod might need to be adjusted, but i wouldn't recommend you try that if you're such a new player, you can do harm if you aren't careful.

could also be the nut, again best to take it to the shop to get that fixed.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
You can loosen the truss rod...

true, but he says he's a beginner so i still wouldn't suggest it

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

yeh i dont want to fiddle with the truss rod besides as i said before it looks like hes already been in there cos there was bits of sticker under the screws but now there isnt so he must have lifted it up, it does seem like it could be the nut as the buzzing does seem to originate from the end, il just take it back in i hope i dont look like too much of a plonker going back in there though.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
don't go to places like guitar center either go to the independent stores, there's where you find the real experts

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

I wasn't talking about him adjusting it. I was just guessing on the problem. I do not remember one time where I said "kid, adjust the truss rod"

Edit: I don't mean to sound like an ass here by-the-way.
Last edited by Nacho Cheese! at May 21, 2008,
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
I wasn't talking about him adjusting it. I was just guessing on the problem. I do not remember one time where I said "kid, adjust the truss rod"

Edit: I don't mean to sound like an ass here by-the-way.

no i see it like this, we both have experience and are trying to help all with having never actually seen the guitar

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Quote by TenaciousLSD
don't go to places like guitar center either go to the independent stores, there's where you find the real experts

yeh thats the thing this was an idenpendant store and the guy that claimed to have fixed it was the owner so i dont understand why he would say hes set it up when the problem still remains. pretty savage really i hope they are more helpful 2moro i really h8 conflict so dont want to go in there all angry sounding and just get pissed on
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube