Hey everyone! I've been playing guitar for about six months now... and I was wondering if I should buy some additional stuff for it. An effects pedal maybe? I play alot of songs... but my favourite bands are Muse and Rage Against The Machine. My guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica, which I really enjoy playing. I have a very basic 10 watt amp.. with settings like 'Distortion' (And it's an on or off button, no control over it) treble and tone. That's it! Should I get a more advanced amp... or just jump straight in with some effects pedals?

Cheers
-The Gore Child
amp 1st
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I would go for the amp, and how much do you want to spend?
Quote by happytimeharry

We'll see how badass they truly are after their shins have been ravaged. Shin kicking is serious business.
yeah man go for an amp. actually i got my line 6 off of ebay really cheap so id check there. you really dont use effects as much as youd think (trust me i was obsessed for a while).
Six months is not enough time for decisions like a bigger amp or $300 pedal. What I would do (I think I did just that) is to buy a cheap multi-fx pedal like a zoom g1. Get your feet wet and experience the fxs. Play it through your amp on clean settings.

Have fun for now and I think you'll have a pretty good idea what you really want later. I'd recommend the g1 because the drums are really nice and makes for good practice sessions. I used mine a lot. That was many many pedals ago and now I have the adrenalin III pedal.
Uhm.. I'm guessing to buy an amp would be about £60, so I'd need to get all the money together. I think a multi-affects pedal would be what I was going for...

I explained my problem with the amp to my guitar teacher... and he said that an amp really ought to have MIDDLE and DISTORTION knobs on it.

So... what kind of amp would be best and what kind of multi-effects pedal for later?

Thanks for all the responses so far
A £60 amp will sound worse than the one you have.
Save up around. . .£150, and buy a Laney LC15 and you WON'T regret it, for that (relatively) cheap amp it'll do you for years (unless you gig at huge venues) I'm playing a couple of Pub gigs at a festival in ireland in a weeks time (jamming with a band) and it'll be loud enough and sound great!
Mmm, I would suggest an Epiphone Valve Junior combo; 5w tube amp. I tried one recently and wow, really damn good for its price tag.

Either that or maybe a Blackheart Little Giant 5w tube amp.

Unless you don't want a tube, then maybe a small VOX Valvetronix or Roland Cube type thing?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Mmm, I would suggest an Epiphone Valve Junior combo; 5w tube amp. I tried one recently and wow, really damn good for its price tag.

Either that or maybe a Blackheart Little Giant 5w tube amp.

Unless you don't want a tube, then maybe a small VOX Valvetronix or Roland Cube type thing?

For £50 more you can get a Laney LC15 (valve, 15 watts) infact the valve junior (if you go head+cab will end up dearer than the LC15.

I say go valve early!
You're in england (assuming by the £ so take advantage of cheap cheap Laney prices!