I have found this very simple, old Swedish song to play, really a great tune (Sång till Friheten with Björn Afzelius). It's pretty easy to play, uses open chords with a few exceptions: one single Bm7. I have played for about three-four weeks and can master a pretty wide range of chords, but Bm7 is way ahead of me - and I still don't want to put the song aside.

What I am wondering is; is there any of the more simple chords that can replace Bm7 and still sound pretty much like it?
Last edited by Anlino at May 21, 2008,
dont be lazy .. just keep practing switching from bm7 to another chord back and forth and ull pick it up .. itll be worth it
Are you playing it as an open chord? Or barring it? The open version is pretty easy.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Quote by merfsullivan
Are you playing it as an open chord? Or barring it? The open version is pretty easy.

Barring it, it appears... Yeah, the open version was a tad easier, thanks

Quote by merfsullivan
dont be lazy .. just keep practing switching from bm7 to another chord back and forth and ull pick it up .. itll be worth it

It was not a factor of lazyness as much as simpel thinking; jumping ahead to kickstart on barre chords before I have all the basic chords in my fingers didn't seem too smooth.
Quote by Anlino
I have found this very simple, old Swedish song to play, really a great tune (Sång till Friheten with Björn Afzelius). It's pretty easy to play, uses open chords with a few exceptions: one single Bm7. I have played for about three-four weeks and can master a pretty wide range of chords, but Bm7 is way ahead of me - and I still don't want to put the song aside.

What I am wondering is; is there any of the more simple chords that can replace Bm7 and still sound pretty much like it?

just play a B power chord, its neither major nor minor so it can work in any situation. A "B "power chord starts with your first finger on the 5th st 2nd fret, then add either your 3rd or 4th (whichever you prefer) finger on the 4th st 4th fret.
how are you trying to play it?

try any of these...

e--2--------
b--0--0-----
g--2--2--2--
d--0--0--0--
a--2--2--2--
e-----------
Should've perhaps been more clear about it... It turned out that I had been trying to play the barre-version, when the open chord (the first one of the three jimtaka pointed out) was so much easier and worked fine.

Yet still, thanks everybody!

(issue solved)
Quote by jimtaka
how are you trying to play it?

try any of these...

e--2--------
b--0--0-----
g--2--2--2--
d--0--0--0--
a--2--2--2--
e-----------

Jim, in the first example, does omitting the first fret of the D string make this a minor chord? I have it listed and play it with that note fretted as well, and it's called a B7.

e--2
B--0
G--2
D--1
A--2
E--X
x20202 was the first open chord voicing of Bm7 that came to my mind.

does omitting the first fret of the D string make this a minor chord?

Yes, D is the m3 of B so playing the D string open as opposed to fretted at the first fret turns it from a B7 into a Bm7.
the 5th string barre chord version at the 2nd fret is the easiest of all the barre chords to play. I would vote that one.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Quote by tom183
Yes, D is the m3 of B so playing the D string open as opposed to fretted at the first fret turns it from a B7 into a Bm7.

yep.

and TS, glad i could help ya out.
Depending on your situation you can sub in Bm, Bm9,Bm11, or Bm13 or play a D6
If you love god, burn a church.- Jello Biafra

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth; I came not to send peace, but a sword. -- Jesus

The war on global warming will go full force in.. 3.. 2.. 1..
Send in the peguins!!