So I just might be able to go to my first real full band jam in a few days (if everything works out alright hopefully).

I usually use my Vox ad30vt to take around but with a full band and such I think the Classic 50 might sound better.

However one problem I have no idea how to move it, it's the 2x12 but it weighs a lot and i'm afraid of damaging the tubes.

SO do I just get a friend to help me and put it in the back of the car? Or should I just leave it safe at home?

*really wish I had a 5 watt tube amp right now....*
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
2x12 amps weren't meant to be left at home!

Just put it in a place in the car where it won't move around much, you'll be okay.
Take the tube, your jam friends will thank you.

How big is the thing?
How small are you?
I can take my 2x12 to our basement...but the my back hurts...so I just ask my brother to help me
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Definetly have someone hold it in the car, and have them help you carry it out of the car.
just be careful and let the tubes cool down before transporting the amp.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Find somewhere in the car where it won't move/fall over or get someone to hold it in the car.

Then just get one of the other guys to help you carry it. Your tone will thank you
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
i throw my VK in the trunk and its fine ...it ll be good as long as it doesnt fall over or fall out of the car or something.
a 2x12 is definately a two person thing. I mean, I'm a big guy, but my Peavey VTX Classic tube amp thats a 2x12 its a big deal to move it around.

and as far as moving it and worrying about damaging the tubes, you really wont have to worry about that, as long as you dont drop it, and nothing gets slammed into it, you'll be fine.
Gear:

Guitar

1977 Ibanez Les Paul
1972 (rough guess, give or take a year) Peavey Classic VTX Series Tube Amp
Behringer X V-amp
Tubes are more robust than most people assume. As long as you aren't driving a pitted dirt road at 60 mph you should be fine.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
You can rough it up, it'll be fine. I just pick up my Classic 50, drop it in the back of my station wagon and drive to the rehearsal/gig. They are fairly robust and can take some abuse.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
I bought a Road Case for my Mesa Head and now it weighs more than the 2x12 cab does.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Thanks so much for the replies guys.

I guess it's ok to take the amp then, if I can find someone to help me move this haha.
There's a space between the seats in the car also so it should fit snugly in and stay still for the ride.

Right now carrying it would be the only issue left to solve, being a smaller person i'm gonna have to find someone around to help lift it but that shouldn't be too hard. Though my parents are always strongly against the idea of me taking that amp around I guess i'll have to convince them.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Yes, definitely get them to room temp after bringin it in and b4 takin it out. I think it's more an issue with cold weather, as condesation can build inside the tubes, and start corroding tube sockets.

Don't bother with takin the tubes out either. It would be just a hastle. If they are exposed, MAYBE give them a little push, but they should be fine even if you don't.

Amps are meant to be moved around.

The big boys toss em on to semi trailers night after night, for miles and miles.
Last edited by MAYNARD at May 21, 2008,
^The big boys also have tons of money and sponserships so they don't have to care for their amps. But I agree to taking the tubes out.I would only do it if it was a long trip or there was other gear in the car AND the tubes are exposed. I'm pretty sure the tubes on the classic are exposed so it might be a good idea.
they make cases for your tubes, but i put my amp in a cramped trailer every single weekend, nothing bad has happened to it.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^The big boys also have tons of money and sponserships so they don't have to care for their amps. But I agree to taking the tubes out.I would only do it if it was a long trip or there was other gear in the car AND the tubes are exposed. I'm pretty sure the tubes on the classic are exposed so it might be a good idea.

The tubes on my C50 are in a metal/insulated housing so taking them out would be a bit of a challenge, but it's only a ten minute ride or so and I think they're pretty safe as long as I let the amp cool down and not let it drop.

Isn't it dangerous to take out tube though? Like getting electrocuted? Or do they just come right off? I think they're safe anyway so I won't go through the hassle of taking em out now. I just need to figure out a way to carry this up and down stairs.

Quote by acdcrocks0323

True, plus the dudes parents seem to be a bit picky. But didn't they know that one day their little axe slinger would wanna fly outta the nest and rock on his own.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
The tubes on my C50 are in a metal/insulated housing so taking them out would be a bit of a challenge, but it's only a ten minute ride or so and I think they're pretty safe as long as I let the amp cool down and not let it drop.

Isn't it dangerous to take out tube though? Like getting electrocuted? Or do they just come right off? I think they're safe anyway so I won't go through the hassle of taking em out now. I just need to figure out a way to carry this up and down stairs.

It's as safe as takin a light bulb out. It's kinda like pullin a tooth. Just wiggle it back and forth a little, and it'll come out.
The classic 50 is EXTREMELY tight and safe in the tube area. I went to replace the tubes on my friend's C50, and it took me forever to get the damn thing open and get the tubes out. They're padded nicely in there. Just chuck the thing in the back seat, it doesn't matter. We're far from careful with our C50 and VK112, and nothing bad has happened so far.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by MAYNARD
True, plus the dudes parents seem to be a bit picky. But didn't they know that one day their little axe slinger would wanna fly outta the nest and rock on his own.

I guess every parent has to go through that, i'm sure I can convince em' though.

Quote by MAYNARD
It's as safe as takin a light bulb out. It's kinda like pullin a tooth. Just wiggle it back and forth a little, and it'll come out.

Good to know, now i'm not as worried but according to Sid McCall and my own observations I think the tubes will be fine in this case.

Quote by Sid McCall
The classic 50 is EXTREMELY tight and safe in the tube area. I went to replace the tubes on my friend's C50, and it took me forever to get the damn thing open and get the tubes out. They're padded nicely in there. Just chuck the thing in the back seat, it doesn't matter. We're far from careful with our C50 and VK112, and nothing bad has happened so far.

Gave me some more relief reading that, I think i'll just put her in the car. It's only a ten minute ride or so and I think the amp will be alright.

You'll be fine.
I don't know about you, but I can move my C50 4x10 easily all by myself.
But, they're tanks, I left mine out in my trunk in cold weather, and it fired right up. I made sure to let it warm up before I turned it on though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator