We have a battle of the bands coming up in a couple of weeks, and we only have one practice scheduled before then. I'll give you a video to give you the jist of the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqdtckpDZ0

Not one of our best performances, but still you can tell we're pretty amateur.

The drummer is a jazz drummer who, while he likes metal, is not all that used to playing it. I can tell he has potential, but right now his drumming feels weak, without the tightness and crisp rhythm that's required. The bassist hasn't been playing for very long. He's very willing to practice and can play basic basslines (he played Achilles Last Stand perfectly in a gig with me), but he thinks like a guitarist. So his playing isn't that smooth, and he doesn't concentrate as much on rhythm as he does on energy.

So my questions are:

1. How can we improve the situation with the guitarist?
2. How can we improve the situation with the bassist?
3. How can we beef up our overall sound and bring it over the top? Make it sound less raw, garage, crappy, etc.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Don't expect them to pull it together in a couple of weeks. Skip the battle of the bands, get your chops together, and go play real shows when you're tight. Otherwise, you're gonna look sloppy. Is that the reputation you wanna start?

All the things you wanna achieve on your list take time and practice together - that's the only way to get the results you want.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Don't expect them to pull it together in a couple of weeks. Skip the battle of the bands, get your chops together, and go play real shows when you're tight. Otherwise, you're gonna look sloppy. Is that the reputation you wanna start?

All the things you wanna achieve on your list take time and practice together - that's the only way to get the results you want.

Hm, I knew someone would say that. I just want to defend my position with two points. 1. It probably doesn't matter anyway, seeing as how it's likely I'll quit afterwards. 2. The BotB isn't like a bigtime one, it's for amateur highschool bands and whatnot.

Otherwise, I'd agree with you.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
If you're leavin anyway after, who cares? Go have some fun and take it for what it is - something that isn't super important to you, but is something to do.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
everyone's timing is horrible.
drummers fills are out of time
the bass player and drummer are not playing together at all.
the guitar play should NOT solo until he can actually play well

overall, get to know how to properly play and get tight before even considering playing out.

it never makes sense to play a show and play bad because of inadequacies.

sorry I don't mean to sound like a dick, I just hate to see people play out before they are even remotely ready.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
everyone's timing is horrible.
drummers fills are out of time
the bass player and drummer are not playing together at all.
the guitar play should NOT solo until he can actually play well

overall, get to know how to properly play and get tight before even considering playing out.

it never makes sense to play a show and play bad because of inadequacies.

sorry I don't mean to sound like a dick, I just hate to see people play out before they are even remotely ready.

I'm sorry, that was a really ****ty solo. But I can solo. Honest.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
The guitarist sounded horrible... the band to but hte guitarist just ....horrible.

*looked at TS's sig and sees the dinky...*

oh your the guitarist... sorry but I think that you guys need to practice as much as you can.
Quote by strat0blaster

Why should he skip it? Does it matter if they don't play awesome, it would be good experiance. Just because you don't think BotB competitions are 'real shows' doesn't mean they arent worth the time. I say, just practice until you get better, it's the only way.
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Quote by Sonicxlover
I'm sorry, that was a really ****ty solo. But I can solo. Honest.

A real important thing to remember when soloing is...

play for the song
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
everyone has problems staying in time, the drummers fills ARE out of place and the solo sounds choppy and could use some work..

You need to practice a bit more..but if you're leaving I'd just do it for fun..besides, you get more experience playing live

It isn't terrible..you just need to tighten some screws here and there
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

ok i think the band needs more practice, i agree t3h guitar n00b, how often do u practice per week???? u shud practice 3 or 4 times a week until the botb and then be great!!!!!

for drummer and bass, get the rythm guitarist (if u have one, or else the lead) to play a riff, just the guitarist, than get the bassist to play the same riff on bass, and the drummer shud be able to find a good beat, (our hopefully future drummer can).

i say continue and enter in the botb and keep us up to date about it.

when is the botb btw?
Quote by thedefrockednun
ok i think the band needs more practice, i agree t3h guitar n00b, how often do u practice per week???? u shud practice 3 or 4 times a week until the botb and then be great!!!!!

for drummer and bass, get the rythm guitarist (if u have one, or else the lead) to play a riff, just the guitarist, than get the bassist to play the same riff on bass, and the drummer shud be able to find a good beat, (our hopefully future drummer can).

i say continue and enter in the botb and keep us up to date about it.

when is the botb btw?

Next Saturday. We're practicing today and tomorrow so we'll try out all of your suggestions. Thanks everybody.

And sure, I'll keep you posted.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Alright, so the BotB was last night. We practiced a lot beforehand, and something in the drummer clicked as he was drumming very tight and heavy.

We had a phenomenal performance, the only time the drummer messed up was when he dropped a stick, and he continued by playing one-handed! We were hands down the best band there. Unfortunately, since it was judgement by applause, and we were the only band to play metal, we only got second place. Still we were very happy with ourselves, plus we got a $50 gift certificate to Sam Ash!
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X